• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RdrServicesUpdater.exe error 0xc0000142 when Reader exits

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that there are lots of problems lately with Reader and updater, but no clear patterns emerging. We are seeing this for a single Server 2012R2 RDS server, and the process appears to be as follows:

1. Open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
  2. Close Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
  3. Closing it triggers an update cycle, spawning msiexec.exe
  4. msiexec.exe in turn spawns RdrServicesUpdater.exe which for some reason is launched with invalid impersonation and dies with error 0xc0000142
  5. WerFault.exe is then spawned to handle the crash, still as the impersonated user, and likewise dies of 0xc0000142

Checking with Process Explorer and quser/Session Shadow, it would appear that RdrServicesUpdater.exe is being forcibly impersonated as the user with the oldest-running active session on the server, but inside the session of the person who opened and closed reader. Error 0xc0000142 is strongly associated with programming errors relating to impersonation, and it’s likely that this is all related. Even if I launch Reader elevated, the same sequence occurs.

Strangely, I cannot reproduce this on other RDS servers, either Server 2016 or 2012R2. This one server has developed the fault spontaneously. Uninstallation of Reader, removal of all of its Program Files content and then reinstallation has had no effect. Reader was on the latest version before and and after.

Whatever is happening seems suspiciously related to other complaints of similar problems, and may have the same underlying cause even if the manifestations of the problems differ according to what Reader feels like doing on each server.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Hi All!

Thanks for your time and patience.

The fix is available with the latest update of Acrobat & Reader DC Continuous track: Adobe Acrobat and Reader - 21.007.2009x Optional update.

Please install the latest patch, and let us know if you experience any issues.

See this article for detailed information about this release, bug fixes and how to update the app: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-acrobat-and-reader-21-007-2009x-optional-up...

Regards,
Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry about the trouble caused.

The team is aware and investigating the issue. They are working on to find the resolution.

We will share the information once we get update from the team on the progress.

We appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Support

We are having the excat same issue. We have two RDS servers that are for 2 different sites, that are both Server 2012 R2.

Both are fully patched, and up to date. I tried some how to fixes that were mentioned on adbe from an issue that happened in the past. These fixes di dnot work. I uninstalled Adobe from both servers, deleted the adobe folders on the C drive then reinstalled them. This fixed the issue for a week, now the issue is back as of this morning for all users. Do you have an update on this fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

We have the same problem.

Windows Server 2012R

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would also like to add another known instance of the issue on Server 2012R2.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing the exact same issue also on Server 2012 R2 adobe acrobat reader DC 21.007.20091.59174

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A customer of us has the same problem. Problem occurs on Windows Server 2019 (RDS). Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version is: 21.007.20091.

This problem is now here for 8 days. I have tried to update it, disable the update service + disable the update task in the task scheduler, delete and install again. But nothing has worked.

Our customer that has the problem is also using AppLocker (policy from Windows). Maybe that has something to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello support. We allso have a problem with one of our customers that have this problem recently.
The error message that Daniel is talking about appears randomly and there is no specifick pattern.

We are running with a Windows 2012 R2 RDS server.

I would like to be informed on this issue what is going on since our customer has problems with these error messeges that keep popping up.

Adobe Version: 2021.007.20091

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing the same  issue on a terminal server

Server 2016

Adobe reader DC 2021.007.20091

RdrServicesUpdater.exe - Application Error

The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.

The application has been blown away and reinstalled and the fault just keeps coming back...

Has anyone found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for my users.

Server 2016 Standard (up to date), Remote Desktop Services, App Locker in use.

Reader version 21.007.20091.59174. (uninstalled and reinstalled)

Probably related, at the same time as the Reader error started, Office 365 Webmail users can no longer preview pdf attachments. They are all using Chrome and have Reader as their default pdf app in Windows. When they click the attachment they get the message, "Something went wrong while the document preview was being created. Please try again later."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company uses some Adobe Subscription based software, and even though adobe chat support does not usually help with free software, I was able to get a support technician to look at it. Unfortunently no resoluion yet, but the technician checked with their support team and they are aware and working on the issue. I am supposed to recieve an email when it is resolved or what to do to fix it. I will share once I receive it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

We have the same problem.

Windows Server 2012R

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

A new update is available : https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuoussept2021qfe...

We have push this update to ours RDS servers.

It's seems to be fixed.

Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Awesome. Yeah I have not heard from adobe yet. I will give this a try.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All!

Thanks for your time and patience.

The fix is available with the latest update of Acrobat & Reader DC Continuous track: Adobe Acrobat and Reader - 21.007.2009x Optional update.

Please install the latest patch, and let us know if you experience any issues.

See this article for detailed information about this release, bug fixes and how to update the app: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-acrobat-and-reader-21-007-2009x-optional-up...

Regards,
Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AnadSri,

I have updated Adobe Reader, but when the update is finished I get the same error what my customer gets:

Title: RdrServicesUpdater.exe - Application Error

Message: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.

Adobe version now is (offcourse) 2021.007.20095 on a Windows Server 2019 RDS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @R.1989 

Please remove the installed Acrobat Reader using the Cleaner tool: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html

Reboot if possible.

Then install Acrobat Reader back: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Let us know if you still experience the same issue.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update to .20095 automatically installed for us on 9/30/21. After a reboot the problems seem to be resolved. It's nice to see a company actaually monitor their support forum and respond to an issue with a fix in a few days. Kudos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing for us — just needed to reboot the RDS server after the update. Seems to all be working fine now, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it fails with latest version 22.001.20117 and Windows 11 Dev Build 25115.1000.

Any new fix for this case?

FG244308987hxt_0-1652388147953.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded Adobe reader and get the message "The application was unable to start correctly (OXC0000142)." So what do I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mary25509613s2a5 !

I understand that you're having trouble with Adobe Acrobat. I'm happy to help.

It's possible that there are leftover files from a previous version of Acrobat that are causing the issue. To uninstall Acrobat completely, you can use the Cleaner Tool AcroCleaner — Acrobat Desktop Tools and Utilities

.Here are the steps:

1. Run the Cleaner Tool and follow the instructions.
  2. Once Acrobat is completely uninstalled, restart your computer.

Once your computer has restarted, you can reinstall Acrobat Reader from the direct link Adobe - Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and see if that works for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I read through the Cleaner Tool and it is NOT for Creative Cloud which
I have so now what should I try to help me clean up your rather unstable
and messy product?

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The link for the cleaner tool that i have shared is for Acrobat its called Acro cleaner tool, please try to run the Acrocleaner tool and follow the steps shared earlier and see if that works for you.

Let us know how it goes.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I followed the link to a page that is totally confusing to me. I have no
idea how to download the Acro cleaner tool.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines