Exit

Reader DC Send File corrupts additional attached file

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both are most current versions:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Release Version 2018.009.20050

MS Outlook 2016 Version 1708 (Build 8431.2153 Click-to-Run) Semi-annual Channel (All add-ins are disabled)

I have a PDF open in Reader

I click the email icon (Send File)

I click Continue on the Send Using Default email application (Microsoft Outlook) popup

Outlook opens an email with the PDF attached

I enter a valid email address and message body

I click attach File in Outlook and select an additional PDF to be attached (file size is correctly listed)

I click send

The recipients will be able to open the original PDF but not the PDF that was added manually.

Error message when opening the additionally added PDF:

"Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open 'XXXX.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

If I look in my sent folder at the email, the corrupt attachment will have an incorrect file size of 4kb and will give me the same error listed above when I try to open it.

If I just create a new email in Outlook and attach the two PDFs they are sent and received with no corruption.

Anybody have a fix for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BagmakersIT,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Could you please try repairing Reader and check if that resolves the issue?

Click "Repair Installation" under Help menu, reboot the machine after repair and try again.

Also, let us know if you are getting the same error message when sending pdf files using webmail option?

Which operating system is installed on the machine?

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same exact issue is happening to many users within our company. It happened a few months ago but it corrected itself and now it has started again. We have tried repairing and issue is not resolved. We have users on different versions of Acrobat and they all have the issue. They will have a PDF open, click the email icon (takes quite a while for Outlook 2016 to generate the message with the pdf attached-used to happen quite quickly) and when they add a second, third etc.. attachment to that email, those pdf's get corrupted when the email is sent. The original pdf attachment always opens with no issue. As a test, I installed Bluebeam Revu 2017 Standard and the issue is resolved but we would prefer to use Acrobat. Do you have any other possible solutions besides repairing as that didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For us, it ended up being an issue with Outlook 2016. Here is the thread on it:

Right-Click "Send To Mail Recipient" corrupts additional - Microsoft Community

Basically they updated something in their services that corrected the issue. No update was made to our software installed locally. Hope that helps.

Jeremiah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that they fixed in Office 365 only. We are not using 365. I guess I will just have to use Bluebeam until a new version is released. Not thrilled about it but at least we have a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got the same problem

In my case we run outlook 2021 on a windows 2019 rdp server 

When we used outlook 2013 it worked good & now not BUT

if we use another pdf reading software (foxit reader for example) it works 

Something is wrond in the connection between adobe reader (latest version) & outlook 2021 (latest update) 

can anyone help???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines