Resolution to Error 1328 when installing Adobe Reader DC

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just resolved a difficult issue I was having with installing Adobe Reader and thought the resolution was worth sharing. The computer lost power while Adobe Reader DC was installing. After that, I was unable to install Reader. I kept getting "Error 1328.Error applying patch to file C:\Config.msi\PTEDE6.tmp" when using the installer from https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/. I tried using the Adobe Reader Cleaner tool from http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html but it didn't have any effect.

After spending some time examining Process Monitor logs, I discovered the installer was accessing cached Adobe Reader installation files from this folder:

C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\68AB67CA7DA73301B744CAF070E41400

After deleting that folder, the installation completed successfully. (You will need to turn on the option in Windows Explorer to "Show hidden files" and turn off "Hide protected operating system files" to access this folder through Windows Explorer.) I suspect the installer had been attempting to use this cache without verifying the integrity of the files within.

Obviously, messing around with system files is not recommended and should only be attempted as a last resort. Make sure you have backups and be prepared to reinstall your operating system.

If anyone from Adobe is reading, perhaps the Adobe Reader Cleaner tool could be updated to remove this folder as part of its cleaning process.

Views

4.1K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RyanGSteele,

We appreciate your taking time to share your finding with us, will forward this to our product team to have a look.

Thank You,

Shivam

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ryan Steele,

I was having the same issue with Adobe Acrobat DC.

For DC the file is called: 68AB67CA3301FFFF7706C0F070E41400

after deleting this file, Adobe Acrobat DC was updated without any problems.

Thanks Again,

Sam Gill

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, RyanGSteele!

For Acrobat 2017 (not Reader) it's "68AB67CA3301FFFF7706E01180573600".

I renamed the folder for the update 17.011.30148 and afterwards it's finished.

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant tip thanks and it worked for me with Acrobat Pro 2017 as well. I used SearchMyFiles from NirSoft to search the C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\ for Adobe and got lots of hits for the same folder. I remaned the folder, appending old to it, restarted Acrobat then searched for an update. Acrobat found one, downloaded and installed it perfectly and even recreated the folder that SearchMyFiles had displayed. I deleted the renamed original folder and all is well. Excellent tip, thanks.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines