I just resolved a difficult issue I was having with installing Adobe Reader and thought the resolution was worth sharing. The computer lost power while Adobe Reader DC was installing. After that, I was unable to install Reader. I kept getting "Error 1328.Error applying patch to file C:\Config.msi\PTEDE6.tmp" when using the installer from https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/. I tried using the Adobe Reader Cleaner tool from http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html but it didn't have any effect.
After spending some time examining Process Monitor logs, I discovered the installer was accessing cached Adobe Reader installation files from this folder:
After deleting that folder, the installation completed successfully. (You will need to turn on the option in Windows Explorer to "Show hidden files" and turn off "Hide protected operating system files" to access this folder through Windows Explorer.) I suspect the installer had been attempting to use this cache without verifying the integrity of the files within.
Obviously, messing around with system files is not recommended and should only be attempted as a last resort. Make sure you have backups and be prepared to reinstall your operating system.
If anyone from Adobe is reading, perhaps the Adobe Reader Cleaner tool could be updated to remove this folder as part of its cleaning process.
We appreciate your taking time to share your finding with us, will forward this to our product team to have a look.
Thanks, Ryan Steele,
I was having the same issue with Adobe Acrobat DC.
For DC the file is called: 68AB67CA3301FFFF7706C0F070E41400
after deleting this file, Adobe Acrobat DC was updated without any problems.
For Acrobat 2017 (not Reader) it's "68AB67CA3301FFFF7706E01180573600".
I renamed the folder for the update 17.011.30148 and afterwards it's finished.
Brilliant tip thanks and it worked for me with Acrobat Pro 2017 as well. I used SearchMyFiles from NirSoft to search the C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\ for Adobe and got lots of hits for the same folder. I remaned the folder, appending old to it, restarted Acrobat then searched for an update. Acrobat found one, downloaded and installed it perfectly and even recreated the folder that SearchMyFiles had displayed. I deleted the renamed original folder and all is well. Excellent tip, thanks.