• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scrolling through PDF files is slow using Adobe Reader on MY MACBOOK pro with retina

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scrolling through PDF file using Adobe reader on my MACBOOK pro is very slow and stuters. That is even for small files. MAC preview and Adobe pro do not have this issue. It is only Adobe ready.

Please advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  I just purchased a maxed out 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro and was getting bummed out, thinking that it couldn't even handle PDF files in adobe reader or acrobat pro!  I get that slow, almost stuttering thing going on.  But, opening them up in preview works perfectly!  How is this not fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm running Mavericks on a 13" Macbook Pro from 2011 (i.e. non-retina). However, I can't find 11.0.0.0 to download, just 11.0.0.1 and it has this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here you can find the right download for your language:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/mac/11.x/11.0.00/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's for Reader. I think the the prior person was looing for 11.0.0.0 version of Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader 11.0.0 but to my dismay, it still does not scroll as smooth as Preview.

Not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat pro 11.0.03 scroll smoothly  on MBP with Retina display but without Retina display supported.

After upgrade to 11.0.06, Retina display  is OK, scrolling slowlly Bug comes back. what a shame

Fix it please , please, please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running an iMac with Mavericks (everything is updated) with 32 GB of RAM and 4GB of VRAM.  I'm experiencing the same issue as everyone else: Adobe Acrobat Pro XI, in my case, scrolls through pdfs unacceptably slowly, with extreme chopiness.  Clearly, this is not a hardware problem.  I do not have this problem running Acrobat in a VM Windows environment, so it is a Mac-specific problem.  Someone at Adobe needs to at least acknowledge the issue, and provide us with a timeline for a fix.  I read (and edit) many many pdf's a day, and have paid for the use of Acrobat Pro.  The software is basically useless to me as it stands, and I am left using Preview to read through pdf's, with no recourse for editing pdf documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2014 May 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my mac. I would expect everything to be smooth since the subscription to CC. Everything seems to be half-baked and the issues are not being acknowledge. I also notice the Acrobat Icon is asking for an update upon opening while on the CC console, it says "up to date". It should not be the users job to find a fix. Going back to the issue, this problem has been posted online line for support since 2011, go figure....Sorry but, I just got frustrated as it has been affecting my workflow...:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally fixed in the 11.0.07 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2014 Jun 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no it isn't.

Using Adobe Reader 11.0.07 and the scroll does not work anything like acceptably, most of the time nothing happens at all when scrolling occasionally it will jump half the document. Completely unusable.

Running on a late 2013 27" iMac with 3.5 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive and OSX 10.9.3 (Mavericks) and Adobe Reader XI 11.0.07

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2014 Jun 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mike is absolutely correct.

This issue has NOT been fixed. Given the fact that it's been an issue for well over a year now, says plenty about Adobe's lack of concern and execution in the development of Adobe Acrobat for Mac.  There are other, similar, threads in this and other forums in which an official Adobe rep patronizes the customers and promises the holy "fix" that's on the way.  Or they ask you to message them privately to take it offline.  There's no fix, and the private messaging is just as useless. They just plain don't care, period.

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2014 Jun 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was replying to the comments to the tail end of this thread regarding Acrobat Pro.

My version of 10.1.10 Reader scrolled a little chunky but not bad at Retina (2880x1800) resolution, definitely better than the prior version of Acrobat Pro. I just downloaded the 11.0.07 version of Reader and am scrolling quite smoothly at the same resolution.

What is counter-intuitive is when I lowered my resolution to 1920x1400 (the "More Space" option in the Displays pref panel) the scrolling was worse, chunky. Not as bad as the prior versions of Acrobat Pro. I can also say that the larger I stretched the window the worse it got. If I kept the window at about one third/one fourth of the screen width it scrolled a lot smoother.

I'm on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, testing on a 13 page document consisting of page scans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the best explanation (from anandtech) I've seen for why "More Space" option is slower:

If you select the 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1200 scaling modes, Apple actually renders the desktop at 2x the selected resolution (3360 x 2100 or 3840 x 2400, respectively), scales up the text and UI elements accordingly so they aren’t super tiny (backing scale factor = 2.0), and downscales the final image to fit on the 2880 x 1800 panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still scrolling is an Adobe bug and needs to be fixed. No idea how a major software provider can release a product that works so badly and and not fix it - and still have the nerve actually charge money for it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We spend lots of time to fix performance issue in 11.0.7.  It is good to know you can use our product now after you upgrade from 11.0.6 to 11.0.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem has (re)appeared. A new Macbook air, 8GB memory, connected to a new Thunderbolt Display:

Adobe Acrobat 11.0.10 is painfully slow in scrolling. Much slower than Adobe Reader 11.0.10. Any suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2015 Jan 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still exists in Adobe Reader 11.0.10 and Adobe Acrobat 11.0.10. Scrolling is terribly slow on 6-core Mac Pro / 32GB RAM / OS X 10.10.2. The same PDF file opened in "preview" app scrolls smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved a scrolling problem that may or may not be the same as discussed here.

Scrolling was very slow and inconsistent in reader when "Fit One Full Page" was selected. Toggling "Fit to Width Scrolling" solved the problem.

Both of these commands show in my Toolbar. They can be added through View>Show/Hide>Toolbar Items>Page Display menus.

Adobe Reader 11.0.07

MacBook Pro

OS X 10.8.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a MacBook Pro Retina with 10.9 - Acrobat Pro has some good relatively new capabilities, however scrolling is terrible. Slow and jumpy - Preview works fine, both smooth and fast as do all other programs I use . Scrolling is so bad that it makes using Acrobat nearly unusable

It is about time that Adobe fixed this bug !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue for me as well. This is an extremely slow, buggy, and frustrating piece of software. Please look into the performance issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 2015 13" Macbook Pro I7 16 gig ram 512GB SSD Retina and I am STILL having this problem!  It happens with Acrobat Pro DC... It's fine on everything else.  This is just miserable.. I pay A-LOT of money for my CC account AND Content account every month!  Can some on come out with a legitimate fix and/or answer for this?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it even using my GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved on MacOS Sierra with the newest Adobe Reader DC 2017.009 by setting the page display resolution to 110 (instead of the system setting: 112):

Preferences -> Page Display -> Resolution -> Custom resolution: 110.

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@edingroot Thanks for this tip. I changed it from 108 to 110 and immediately solved the problem with Adobe Pro DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

We see that this has been an ongoing issue and long-tailed.

We have tried to replicate this issue on our end. However, the issue cannot be reproduced in-house. That is why we need a few details for further investigation on this. It would be helpful if you can share the following information:

- Please share any sample PDF on which the issue can be reproduced.

- If possible, share the screen recording of the issue occurring on your end.

- Application (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html) and OS version used on the machine.

- If you are using the Windows machine, please collect the Process Monitor logs. Download the Process monitor tool from this link: https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatmonitor.html on your machine and run it. Then reproduce the issue and save the logs. Share the logs with us.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines