• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search not highlighting results consistently

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the last couple of times I have used the search function that, although the word I am searching for is being found, it is not necessarily being highlighted, so that I can see where it is on the page.  Sometimes I get a vertical line (like this | ) next to the word, as if the cursor is there, but that is really hard to see on a page full of text.  Once today I got one out of three occurrences of the same word on a page highlighted in blue (great!) but the other two were not highlighted at all when searching forward.  Having got the third one highlighted, I then used search backwards and one of the other two (but not both) got highlighted in blue.

Surely this has something to do with Adobe Reader, rather than my laptop settings.  I did install the latest update this morning (I think there was also one either yesterday or the day before) and am now on version 9.4.5

MClareS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 117 Replies 117
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issue, I use the search feature about 300-350 times a day.  It only started after the last update, a day or a few ago.

For me the issue is primarily when there is only 1 search result on a page, if there are multiple search results on the same page it will highlight the 2nd one, and then I can hit the reverse search button and it'll find the previous search result on that page and highlight it as well.

It is very annoying, I hope there is a fix/patch/update soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Shane.  I'm glad to know I'm not alone.  I have reported this to Adobe as a bug needing fixing.  Hopefully one of their future updates will deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same trouble: the error was generated after upgrade to 9.4.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! This is driving me NUTS! I use the function constantly on long documents and Adobe not highlighting the search results is costing me tons of time and $$$. I am really disgusted that this basic function is broken. In fact, I am furious. Fix it already, damn it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just talked to support. They promise a fix in about a week (translation - July).

The only workaround they offer is to uninstall & install to the last version you have on disc. Helpful, huh?

Inundate them please: 800-642-3623 (press 2, then press 2 again for Acrobat tech support)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is unusual to get bugs fixed that quickly. If they tell you about a week, then be happy that is as long as it takes. Flooding tech support with phone calls will not help it go faster. The update must go through quality insurance. While the bug did get through Adobe's bug checking process, it may have been rushed to avoid security issues. Relax, it will get done. If you want to express its importance, then it is much easier and more helpful to use the Adobe Bug Reporting form:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you "Michael the Adobe apologist" for letting me know what I shouldn't or should be happy about.  Something as big as that error, with as many people having it, should have certainly been caught, or at least Adobe should have let us know that the feature isn't fully implemented yet so caution when updating your Adobe Acrobat version.  I've reported it via the bug report form but I am pretty darn positive Adobe reads these forums for feedback, and Adobe won't understand the level of frustration amongst their uses unless they do.

In my industry I deal with 1,200-1,500 page .pdf documents where I need to quickly reference certain keywords, and searching with my eyes down an entire page is not very conducive to getting business done.

-Frustrated Adobe Acrobat customer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shane

Agreed

MickaelK's buttinsky posts only aggravate the problem

We didn't post our frustration to be told to calm down & accept things as they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem. Reader version 10 (for mac anyway) is available. Just upgrade to that one and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as many others with the search highlighting problem in Acrobat Standard (not Reader) version 9.4.5.   I also just confirmed that the same problem exists in Reader version 9.4.5. Your suggestion to upgrade to Reader version 10 might fix the problem with Reader 9.4.5, but it appears that those of us posting the problem aren't using Acrobat Reader, we're using Acrobat Standard.

With the range of software products currently available, it's easy enough to confuse one for another, especially wth the popularity of Acrobat Reader. I think it's safe to say that Acrobat Reader is the 'standard reader' for PDF documents. The idea that Acrobat Reader is the standard for PDF documents is a point of confusion, because now we have to decide if the standard reader is Acrobat Standard or Acrobat Reader. Maybe Adobe could have chosen a better name for Acrobat Standard, something like Acrobat Writer, or Acrobat Creator. Anyway...

I'm not criticizing your suggestion, or flaming you for contributing an idea that may be helpful for some, but not necessarily for others. I use Acrobat Standard because Acrobat Reader is not capable of doing what I need to do. My particular situation requires the ability to search a document (not necessarily a PDF document) for a word or words, highlight them, comment the document, and save the commented document in PDF format. I may also need to combine several documents into a single PDF document for ease of Emailing them to someone. It may be a poor comparison on my part, but Acrobat Standard is like a TV boradcast station in that it creates content to be viewed elsewhere, and Acrobat Reader is like the TV set, in that it is intended to view the content created at the TV broadcast station.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny about the standard reader & Acrobat Standard. HOWEVER, my version clearly calls it: Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

Good TV analogy.

I'm an editor. I must have the Pro version. Can't function with just a reader.

I posted in the right spot for Pro users, but this thread has more hits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem when it will be solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found an earlier version where highlighted search WORKS & is easily available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why look for an older version? As mentioned, Reader version 10 is available and works. It is available for Mac and

PC. Just upgrade for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the upgrade suggestion to version 10.  Unfortunately I have the Standard Version of Acrobat not just the Reader and the upgrade cost to version X (10) is about $140.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a message that Adobe is working on this issue:

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to notify us of this unexpected behavior after updating to Acrobat 9.4.5. This has been identified as a bug by our Engineering team.  They are hard a work adding a fix to be included in the next update.  There is no time frame for this patch to be released.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have this issue resolved in the future.

Regards,

Ed Hutton

Adobe Systems Inc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem after a recent UPDATE.  It is a very BAD problem for me.  Is there a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue after the last update.  I have the full version of Adobe Acrobat Standard (9.4.5) and not just the reader.  Not sure if this works in the reader but a workaround I found is to use the Full Acrobat Search and then double click on each of the results in the search results window.  Not a  very efficient method but at least it works until this bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion on using the Full Search panel and double clicking on the results to get the highlight.  This does help me with what has become a big problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having problem with text search in Adobe reader latest version 9.4.

One pdf file generated through a pdf printer inside a word processing program and has around 100 pages. So there is no issue of having a scanned document which is not searchable.

In this document, when I try to search the text inside the pdf file using Adobe Reader 9.0, it is working alright and it is recognising the text searched for.

However, When the same pdf file is searched using Adobe Reader 9.3 and 9.4 etc it is not searching the text which is present at more than five places in the document.

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other issues have been created with this last update (for full Pro users on 9.4.5 at least).

Worst for me is that you can't select the pages you want in page view (to move, delete or extract them).

I'm getting sick of hearing "This has been identified as a bug by our Engineering team.  They are hard a work adding a fix to be included in the next update.  There is no time frame for this patch to be released."

FIX IT already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my voice to register my frustration with this problem as well.

Highlighting of search terms was working fine until we ugraded from Adobe Standard 9.4.4 to version 9.4.5. It is not only annoying to not have this working, it is very time consuming as well. I have actually had to install FoxIt reader on my system so that I can get functional again.

I have submitted a bug report as suggested by another poster. Hope they are getting the message that this is a HUGE problem fo rmany users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered something interesting.

Under "Preferences -> Search" there is an option called "Enable Search Highlights From External Highlight Server". It was disabled when I first opened these settings, so I tried enabling it and now highlighting of search terms seems to be workinga little more consistently for me (well actually working at all versus not working at all), although it is still skipping some terms when I click the arrow to go to the next match. I've also noticed that when it does skip highlighting a match, if I then click to go to the next match and then click to go back to the previous match, it then hightlights the previously unhighlighted match.

Obviously not a solution to the problem as this is defnitely a bug, however, maybe it will help out in some instances.

Also, does anyone know what "Enable Search Highlights From External Highlight Server" this setting is for? It is kind of self explanatory, but what is an "External Highlight Server" in relation to Adobe PDF applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert, but I BELIEVE that the external highlighting is from your computer's system. If you're on Mac, then your highlighting is set up a certain way in your system prefs "appearance"

I could be wrong.

I too found that little preference in Acrobat last week, but it's still not a solution. So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines