Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly cannot access PDF files

Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly cannot open PDF files that I have saved. I believe this happened after downloading an Adobe Reader update.

When I try to open a PDF file I get this message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

However, if I get a PDF file as an e-mail attachment, I can open the file from my email. As an aside, to open a PDF file, I sent it to myself as an attachment and then downloaded and opened it.

Also, if I right click on the file and select "Open With" I cannot open with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC but I can open with PDF Vista, whatever that is.

WildBill@1932

9 Jan 2017

Now I'm really in trouble. I got desperate so I uninstalled Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and tried to reload the program from Adobe. It downloads and then goes all the way through the install process and then says Installation failed. "Newer version already installed" And to make matters worse, the PDF Vista program that was on my computer has gone away. At least I was able to use that for a while.

I'm running Windows 7 on my HP 520-1047c

WildBill@1932

10 Jan 2017

Update: Yesterday I managed to download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader XI. I can now access my PDF files. My immediate problem has been solved but I still would like to know what the problem is with Reader DC. I must admit I am disappointed that no oe had any suggestions as to how to resolve my problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Hi wildbill1932,

Sorry for the delay in response.

It might be possible that update was not installed properly.

Please  run cleaner tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs and restart your system.

Then try to re-install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Let us know if issue still persists.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wildbill1932,

Sorry for the delay in response.

It might be possible that update was not installed properly.

Please  run cleaner tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs and restart your system.

Then try to re-install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Let us know if issue still persists.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I used the cleanup tool to remove the reader. Then I reinstalled. Same problem. Other files in the same folder are accessible (i.e. Word) but Adobe files get the message "Windows can not access the specified device path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the file". I have no idea what changes or would cause this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meenakshi's fix worked for me.  You must adhere to his instructions, especially when you re-install Adobe Reader DC with the link he provided, where the drop-down boxes allow you to indicate your specific computer specifications.  His instructions were as follows:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me but had to use both cleaner tools. the one for 10.x and the one for DC. then reinstall from the DC Distribution site. When i opened the new file it had an update that i applied, then everything works as it should including from File Explorer.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click the PDF, pick Open With > Choose default program (or Choose another application in Windows 10). Pick Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat DC in the rundown of projects, and afterward do one of the accompanying: (Windows 7 and prior) Select Always utilize the chose program to open this sort of document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

try this

1. Check Your PDF Viewer Settings: If you're using Adobe Acrobat Reader as your default PDF viewer, make sure it hasn't undergone any unexpected changes. Open Adobe Acrobat Reader, go to the "Edit" menu (on Windows) or "Adobe Acrobat Reader" menu (on macOS), and select "Preferences" or "Preferences...". decor Look for relevant settings that might be causing the issue.

2. Update Adobe Acrobat Reader: Ensure that you are using the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Older versions might have compatibility issues, and updating to the latest version can often  resolve such problems.

3. Check File Associations: Make sure that the PDF file type is associated with Adobe Acrobat Reader. To do this:
- On Windows: Right-click on a PDF file, choose "Open with," and select "Choose another app." Then, select Adobe Acrobat Reader and check the box that says "Always use this app to open .pdf files."
- On macOS: Right-click on a PDF file, choose "Get Info," expand the "Open with" section, and select Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click "Change All..." to ensure all PDFs open with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

4. Clear Cache and Temporary Files: Sometimes, corrupted cache or temporary files can cause issues. Clear the cache and temporary files of Adobe Acrobat Reader to see if that resolves the problem.

5. Check Security Software: Certain security software or antivirus programs may interfere with PDF files. Temporarily disable any security software and see if you can access the PDF files.

6. Test with Other PDF Readers: Try opening the PDF files with alternative PDF readers like Foxit Reader or Sumatra PDF. This will help you determine if the issue is specific to Adobe Acrobat Reader.

7. Restart Your Computer: A simple restart can often resolve unexpected software issues.

8. Reinstall Adobe Acrobat Reader: If the problem persists, consider uninstalling Adobe Acrobat Reader and then reinstalling the latest version from the official Adobe website.

9. Check PDF File Integrity: Verify if the specific PDF files you are trying to open are intact and not corrupted. Try opening other PDF files to see if they open correctly.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's possible there might be a more complex problem with your system or the PDF files themselves. In such cases, seeking technical support from Adobe or an IT professional might be necessary.

Remember to back up any important PDF files before attempting any significant changes to your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines