• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warning: Acrobat DC reader download also downloads (and automatically installs) McCafee Software

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to download Acrobat DC Reader.  It automatically downloaded (and installed) McCaffee anti-virus and protection software at the same time - with no prompts to opt out or stop the installation.  The Acrobat DC Reader downloaded, but the install failed.

This is the first time I've ever had "stealth" software download and install without notice nor ability to stop it.

Come on Adobe, you can do better  😞

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's optional, and disabled by default:

try67_1-1619369306941.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never got that screen.  The page I was directed to just had a link for installing Acrobat Reader DC...

Maybe there's links on their site that take you to a different install page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you remember what that link was, and where you found it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There has been a toggle to install/not install a McAfee app in the installation process/dialog or Download Installer options for many versions, along with the way you would like to be notified & receive updates.  The pairing of Acrobat/Reader and McAfee isn't new.

I would love for it to go away, honestly - but it's been there for a long time!

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines