• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do some PDFs take so long to load?

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, when I read certain PDF files, when I scroll down, it will take it time to "catch up", and load the page.

I have a decent computer, and I don't see why it takes so long to render the pages?

Is there a way to make Adobe Reader completely load the PDF file into memory so it doesn't have to constantly catch up?

Here is an example of one that takes a while to load pages: http://life.iupui.edu/osi/student-orgs/_Assets/docs/Student%20Org%20Manual.pdf

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see that effect with the document you linked.

Do you open that doc in the browser, or with the external Adobe Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both. I get very slow loading on this document in both the browser and the standalone program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2012 Jul 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried your link, and the file took less than one second to download...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously didn't read my post at all. Go back and read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, maybe you need to provide some more information...

I have Adobe Reader 10.1.3 on Windows XP, using Firefox 14.0.1

When I click on the link you provided in your original post, I see the progress bar

arpb.png

for about 1 to 2 seconds, and then the entire document (33 pages) is completely downloaded on my computer.  I can scroll up and down, jump to the last page and back - there is no delay whatsoever.

Maybe you have some limitations on your system that we don't know about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, but it's quite obvious from my post that I didn't mean "the time it takes to download the file to my computer."

Anyhow, what information would you like me to provide?

Here's my DirectX diagnostics report: http://pastebin.com/qrDJXPyD

The phenomenon doesn't occur on PDFs that are vector text only. It seems to only occur on documents where the pages were scanned directly and just thrown into a PDF as images, or that document I provided in my original post which contains some decorative background on every page.

Also note that I experiece this phenomenon on both Adobe Reader in the browser, Adobe Reader standalone, Adobe Acrobat, and even Foxit's PDF Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

U there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

axmann48 wrote:

You obviously didn't read my post at all. Go back and read it.

Well, I did forget to add that, as Pat, I didn't notice any special delays when moving through the pages of that file.

Not feeling very friendly today?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

axmann48 wrote:

For some reason, when I read certain PDF files, when I scroll down, it will take it time to "catch up", and load the page.

I have viewed your doc again, this time on a very similar system as yours, both in the browser, as well as in the standalone Reader.

The interesting thing is that I did, this time, observe a small time lag when paginating through the document; something like about 0.1 sec - is that what you are seeing?

I really don't know why this is happening on Windows 7 x64, but not on the much older XP system.

On the other hand, that 0.1 sec lag does not bother me enough to investigate it any further.  If the lag was longer, then I would perhaps start watching the process with ProcMon or similar, to find out what activities are causing the delays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the saem problem. It's realy frustrating. The best fix I've found is to open and view the pdfs in Apple Books. They read and display perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines