• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHY DOES ADOBE NEED SO MANY UPDATES?!!!!!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the heck does adobe reader need to many frigging updates every frigging week!!!

I swear, as a student i have enough active programs already, i don't need more porgrams to frigging restart my computer everyday just because your stable platform of adobe sucks. The worst part about adobe's updates, are the following:

1) it is huge UPDATES (30mbs+), if I were to download the adobe reader from your site right now, it is less than the update package. Hows does that even make sense.

2) It feels the need to be important and restart your computer every time it updates.

3) Why does Adobe Reader even need so many updates, if there is constant client problems, than I think you should release a stable client all at once.

I will not use this PDF reader ever again. There is better PDF readers out there, that don't waste people's time on updates.

p.s. mounting a complain on this site also sucks. Has anyone tried to click on the product feedback page? it is like they don't want you to complain about their products.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 115 Replies 115
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was posted in April. You have one every month. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Adobe is using their Adobe Download Manager...

...as an advertisement platform.  If you've watched it download then you'll notice that they're trying to get you to also download their "partner" products.  In other words, Adobe makes money when you download something from one of these other providers.  It's the same as that checkbox for the Google Toolbar on their download page.  Presumably Google pays people, say, $1 if you install the toolbar for them.

So if a million people install the Google Toolbar from their routine of downloading/upgrading an Adobe product then that's a million dollars for them.  And so the more versions they make in a year...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JustinCase.ftw wrote:

Because Adobe is using their Adobe Download Manager...

...as an advertisement platform.  If you've watched it download then you'll notice that they're trying to get you to also download their "partner" products. In other words, Adobe makes money when you download something from one of these other providers.  It's the same as that checkbox for the Google Toolbar on their download page.  Presumably Google pays people, say, $1 if you install the toolbar for them.

So if a million people install the Google Toolbar from their routine of downloading/upgrading an Adobe product then that's a million dollars for them.  And so the more versions they make in a year...

Someone flunked Business 101.

Adobe DOESN'T make money when you download something from one of their partners, and Google/Yahoo/McAfee/Symantec are not Adobe Partners.

In case you're brand new to the world of computing and business... Server space and bandwidth COST MONEY. With billions of people worldwide using Reader and Flash Player *because nobody else makes anything better) Adobe has tens of thousands of downloads every hour for these two alone. Since they're FREE, that server space and all that traffic are costing plenty. In exchange for allowing an optional download of some other product, Adobe gets the cost reimbursed by the vendor to maintain the servers and update the updates, as well as pay for the traffic.

I know that doesn't say anything about why there are so many updates, but Adobe isn't the Lone Ranger on this. Every Wednesday, without fail, since April of last year when I installed Windows 7, I have had to download between 4mb and 180 mb of updates. There have been nearly twice the size in updates as Windows 7 Ultimate is in a DVD-DL. Not to mention the friggin' madatory restart nearly every single time. And it takes fifteen minutes to shut down as it "prepares" the updates, then another fifteen to "optimize" them on the reboot. It's a good time to go and make breakfast, read the paper, and take a shower.

I'll take a reader update that doesn't suck up an hour of my day... any day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, without realizing it you just validated several points this forum was making.  Every week without fail microsoft has updates...does not help your cause.  They are losing market share for this very reason and people are scrambling to other formats. My I-software (Apple) updates about once a month or less.  Comparing a reader and a flash player to an operating system in terms of updates is insane..it is like saying I have to service my car once a week (usally for different components out of the hundreds the OS covers) so what is the big deal if I also have to service the radio EVERY SINGLE WEEK, as well?

Meanwhile, Microsoft is facing way more competition that it has seen since 1995 in terms of OS and application choices and you would be nuts to say that does not have anything to do with their attitude they own your pc just like adobe does and push updates every other week.  Even Apple hypocritically has an issue with the way Adobe hi jacks their pc, grabbing gobs of process, memory, and priority as if Adobe was the reason you got a tablet.  Since this is an Adobe forum I will not get started on what Quicktime does...

So the defenders of these updates say they are not due to:

Advertisement potential

Lucrative partner installations

Security concerns

Poor design

So what are they due to?  If it is a money losing proposition then they should come up with a less frequent and less obtrusive way of updating it that does not involve having to opt out of partner installations and allow the downloads to take place at non peak times during the night when bandwidth is plentiful..then allow the installations to take place during idle time without impacting the end user,  Right?

The problem is the bean counters will push for these right up until they start to lose market share and then it will be too late.  I worked at a semiconductor company that put off a technology rollover in order to make more profit on the current chip because they enjoyed the lions share of business. As an engineer I stood up in front of over 400 people and told them what would happen since I was a tech transfer guy- they said since we are the leader in the business everyone would still be catching up in a year.  One year later they were out of business...sure the stupid people kept buying the chips for a while until it became clear the cool smart people knew what was better.  Adobe is going to get rolled the same way AOL was where you had to opt out of ads just to find out what the weather was going to be like for the day every time you logged on. Already, I see glimmers of 'uncoolness' settling around their 'sell out' ways.  Soon they will enjoy less share for these components and before long these will be spun off or shut down while the bean counters move on to shut down another innovation.

I will bet you money there are apps people right now telling the accountants to hold off on the flamboyant updates because they are plugged in and hear the noise, but all the accountants see are the $$ signs and the $ signs can't be wrong right?  Greedy idiots and their golden parachutes only thinking about the profits for the next dividend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like what Leroy-514 had to say. What do you all recommend to replace Adobe Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rjl-1 wrote:

I like what Leroy-514 had to say. What do you all recommend to replace Adobe Reader?

FoxIt PDF reader. If you're one of the few, the wise, the Mac OS X users, Preview uses PDF as its native format. You can do nearly as much with it as you can with Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I_Know_Nothing_at_all wrote:

FoxIt PDF reader.

Foxit comes bundled with spyware; not something I would recommend to anyone.  There are several alternate PDF readers available without malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never used FoxIt myself, but then I've never had problems with Reader or Acrobat, or updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2016 Jun 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Foxit does NOT come bundled with Spyware.

I suggest you check your source.

I have downloaded Foxit to every PC I have access to (Also dump Norton and McAfee in favour of Avast)

NEVER had any addon programs with Foxit, not ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2016 Jun 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, when he said that back in 2011 (this is a very old thread), it was absolutely true. You've hopped into a very old and worn out thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2013 Nov 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to make an account just to respond to your's? I don't want to be rude, but spreading ignorance can really cause people to mess up their day.

Honestly, you must be kidding in saying the following. . . .

". . . . /McAfee/". .  are not Adobe Partners."

Adobe is in fact partnered with McAfee!, - I can only reply, DUH!

In reference to their product for pdf?

"because nobody else makes anything better" You just can not be serious?

PDF exchange!!

You cannot find a smaller package, or one that uses ZERO extra resources e.g. Has NOTHING running in the "background" not even while in use. Nor one with more "FREE" options than "exchange." It's packed with goodies that Adobe wants lots of cash for.

Anyone who actually does know computer systems, and bothers to look at the BULK-JUNK-RESOURCE-HOGGING extras that have nothing whatsoever to do with using the pdf program, will immediately and wisely, strip their program files and registry's of ALL adobe hits.

But the best for last. You insinuate this guy (and others) don't know what they're doing or saying, when it comes to, "the world of computing."

e.g. "In case you're brand new to the world of computing"

Then  you proceed to tell us how, on your own computers you're waiting: - "fifteen minutes to shut down as it "prepares" the updates, then another fifteen to "optimize" them on the reboot."

Well, I have that system?

Number one, if you go to the "technical - more info" page and see what the update is actually for in the "windows recommends" updates, you will find, about 5-10 percent of them, are actually necessary - and that's probably even too high? Unless you're in the habit of letting strangers play with your computer or you download from "iffy" and illegal websites.

Number two, when there is actually, updates that I let go through with install, my computer takes, 15 seconds or less to download, and typically, less than a minute to reconfigure and reboot?

If you check your start up programs, and registry, you will find, the real problem is, you have a dozen or more "other" programs, running in the background, causing all this time wasted. You know, like seven printer apps, and three or more ADOBE apps etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See, I am still not the only one that feels like adobe dishes way too many updates.

Each update requires a successful restart of my computer as well. That is not what I want when I log into my computer in the morning.

Why does a PDF reader require updates is questionable to begin with. You don't see microsoft word asking for updates to patch itself.

However after reading this article:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/19/adobe-dominates-kaspersky-labs-top-ten-pc-vulnerabilites-list/

I can understand why adobe needs to updated so much. It takes over 50% of the list!!!

That must mean the product itself has a lot of defects to begin with.

If this keeps up, I personally will rather switch to other pdf alernatives, then this junk.

edit: I would also like to add, that almost all the adobe updates carrys a lot of bloatware for no reason. Seriously I'm updating, which is annoying to begin with, and now your trying to shove random installations down my throat, after wasting my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my suspicion is it's a marketing ploy...anything that keeps "Adobe" on the front page of your thoughts is good advertising...I mean, NO ONE could have such horrible software that it needs daily mass updates - could they?

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great marketing when they annoy you so bad you delete their product and use

a competitor's. Now if I could only get rid of Flash Player too, I'd be

really satisfied.

leroy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I should be clear in stating that when Adobe does an update, I do not know if it is for reader or for flash.  I just know that they are frequent, they take a long time, they make me reboot, they make me think that adobe is of the opinion that my pc exists to carry their software which they update and change as they see fit. When using their software I have never felt that they really had me in mind as an end user yet I process documents with their software all day long since it is a common file type that I can send to customers whether it is a cad drawing or a powerpoint presentation.  The deal is that from the last 25 years of working with software there is this critical point where the software becomes so tedious and self serving that a simpler solution pops up that might not have EVERY bell or whistle available but is preferable to the mainstream choice. Think...Netscape, think Lotus 1,2,3- I believe even AOL's demise is from that angle.  MS Word aint everything but they seem to be in touch with making their software easy to use, and constantly improving the product in a way that is noticeable and saves man hours when all is said and done.  For me PDF files just get harder and harder to manipulate and use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly why I stopped using Norton AV. They just carry on business

as if we, the end user-- and our computers-- have no other options. Norton

has started running commercials on TV, coud this be an indication that

they've lost way too many customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is so frustrating to have to wait for updates.  I've had two updates this week.  Why?  It makes me very uneasy to be using a program which needs updating all the time. Why can't Adobe get it right the first time?  And what is the update going to do for me anyway?  It just slows my computer down, then it wants to re-start when I am using the computer for other things.  Adobe!  I wish you'd get your act together, there are other options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent slew of updates are intended to amend critical security vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader. Per the latest security bulletin APSB11-16 (http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb11-16.html😞

"Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) and earlier versions for Windows, Adobe Reader X (10.0.3) and earlier versions for Macintosh, and Adobe Acrobat X (10.0.3) and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh. These vulnerabilities could cause the application to crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system."

You do not have to update Adobe Reader if you do not want to (indeed, it is a trivial thing to disable the Adobe Updater program). However, you then leave yourself open to attack by using an unsecure version of the Reader software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STOP THE ANNOYING UDATES!

IT GOT UPDATED JUST LAST WEEK!

HERE'S A THOUGHT ABOUT NOT HAVING THOSE SECURITY HOLES IN IT:

DON'T SOME SOMETHING OUT THE DOOR EVERY 2 WEEKS AND MAYBE YOU CAN TEST IT FIRST TO AVOID THE PROBLEMS!

THE SECURITY ISSUE IS A SCAM

ADOBE IS USING THE UPDATE FUNCTION AS AN ADVERTISING FUNCTION

ADOBE MARKETERS JUST CAN'T RESIST BUGGING CUSTOMERS ABOUT THEMSELVES

WHEN 99% OF PEOPLE JUST NEED SOMETHING TO READ SIMPLE PDF FILES

WE DON'T NEED ALL THESE UPDATES!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SLKSLKS wrote:

WHEN 99% OF PEOPLE JUST NEED SOMETHING TO READ SIMPLE PDF FILES

WE DON'T NEED ALL THESE UPDATES!!!!

Well then there are other readers you can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 19, 2011 Jun 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat and Reader X release notes

If you have trouble opening a note, right-click the release note and save the file to your desktop.

DateRelease           
Notes
Release           
Type
Focus
Jun 14, 201110.1QLatest release.  This is a major update that provides security fixes, feature updates,  and major enhancements such as Protected View for Acrobat.
Apr 21, 201110.0.3OOCThis patch fixes a vulnerability and provides an updated Flash player.
Mar 21, 201110.0.2OOCThis patch fixes a vulnerability and provides an updated Flash player.
Feb 8 201110.0.1QNumerous security fixes as well  as improvements to Protected Mode, QTP support, Flash, and support for  SCCM via newly released SCUP catalogs.
Nov 201010.0MajorA phased release with new  features:  Nov 15 - Acrobat EFGJ, Nov 18 - Reader EFGJ: Nov 18, Dec 12 -  Acrobat and Reader for all other languages.

Acrobat and Reader 9.x and 8.x release notes

If you have trouble opening a note, right-click the release note and save the file to your desktop.

DateRelease           
Notes
Release           
Type
Focus
Jun 14, 20119.4.5, 8.3 (PDF)QLatest release.  Provides security  and bug fixes as well as enhancements to features  like collaboration, browser integration and support, signature and forms  workflows, etc.
Apr 21, 20119.4.4 (PDF)OOCThis patch fixes a vulnerability and provides an updated Flash player.
Mar 21, 20119.4.3 (PDF)OOCThis patch fixes a vulnerability,  provides an updated Flash player, and fixes some bugs which improve  printing and other features.
Feb 8 20119.4.2, 8.2.6 (PDF)QNumerous security fixes as well  as improvements to navigator and portfolio performances, Flash, and  patching in enterprise environments.
Nov 16 20109.4.1 (PDF)OOCSecurity patch containing several fixes, including those fixes addressed here.
Oct 5 20109.4, 8.2.5 (PDF)QEnhancements to PDF Creation,  roaming profile workflows, and a Flash player update as well as numerous  bug fixes. Several security fixes are included as described here and here.
Aug 19 20109.3.4,  8.2.4 (PDF)OOCSecurity patch. See the security bulletin.
June 29 20109.3.3, 8.2.3 (PDF)QEnhancements for security  (including a zero-day fix), performance, bug fixes, improved browser  support, and Updater improvements.
April 13 20109.3.2 (HTML)QEnhancements for security, JS trust, and more. The Acrobat/Reader Updater replaces the AUM retroactively to 9.2 and  8.1.7.
April 13 20108.2.2 (HTML)QEnhancements for security, JS trust, and more. The Acrobat/Reader Updater replaces the AUM retroactively to 9.2 and  8.1.7.
Feb. 16 20109.3.1 (HTML)OOCSecurity patch
Feb. 16 20108.2.1 (HTML)OOCSecurity patch
Jan 12 20109.3 (HTML)QImprovements to enhanced security, cross  domain access, security warnings, and more.
Jan 12 20108.2 (HTML)QImprovements to enhanced security, cross  domain access, security warnings, and more.
Oct. 13 20099.2 (HTML)QFixes several security  vulnerabilities and  improves prepress, preflight, PDF viewing,  redaction, collaboration, forms, 3D,  and more.
Oct. 13 20098.1.7 (HTML)OOCAddresses several security  vulnerabilities.
July 31 20099.1.3 (HTML)OOCFixes a security vulnerability.
June 16 20098.1.6 (HTML)OOCUnix only. Addresses several security  vulnerabilities.
June 9 20099.1.2 (HTML)QImproved security, browser support, and  performance.
June 9 20098.1.6 (HTML)OOC Addresses several security  vulnerabilities.
May 12 20098.1.5 (HTML)OOC Fixed two security  vulnerabilities.
May 12 20099.1.1 (HTML)OOC Fixed two security  vulnerabilities.
Mar 18 20099.1 (HTML)QImprovements in stability, forms/XFA,  portfolios, hosted services, security, and digital signatures.
Mar. 1 20098.1.4 (HTML)OOCAddresses a buffer overflow security  vulnerability. Reader on Linux and Solaris release date is March 24.
Nov. 4 20088.1.3 (HTML)OOCFixes security issues and provides  improvements forms, 3D, rendering, and digital signatures
9.0Major
June 23 20088.1.2 SUI (HTML)OOCWindows and Mac OS only:  Addresses a buffer  overflow security vulnerability. Reader on Linux and  Solaris release date was  August 17.
Feb 7 20088.1.2 (HTML)OOCFixes security issues and provides  improvements for forms, 3D, JS, rendering, and more.
20088.1.1 (HTML)OOCFixes security issues and provides  improvements for forms and other features. Removes Kinko's button.
20088.1Q
8.0Major

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2011 Jun 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you refer to the list above, it seems that the shortest time between any updates was at least a month (if not two). That's hardly "every day".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you refer to the list above, it seems that the shortest time between any updates was at least a month (if not two). That's hardly "every day".

well, then that list is BS...I have frequently gotten updates on sequential days...so have many others reporting on this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with your complain about the update everyday ..It always takes a couple of time to have updated ...would it be ok to make the process more simply ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I've been an Adobe reader fan for a number of years but the signs are now very bad. It seems they are calling their users liers we don't say it happens every week because we imagine it. I've been in the IT business for 25 years and this is a real problem not imaginary.

This issue alone has been going on for a year or so which means Adobe either don't take it seriously of just don't care. I think it's the latter as I've had problems with PDA versions not even being acknowledge as existing on their own site. I had to make rude remarks on the forum where people were complaining and being ignored. Only then did I get sent a link. I had by then decided not to use PDF as a format. After all if the creators of the format won't support it it must be a dead format.

I plan to disable the updater and avoid using reader as soon as I can.

I have a laptop running Windows 7 that's been complaining about an out of date flash player for a year. The update completes succcessfully just like Reader and then it says it needs updating. I guess they only care for MAC users.

Shame but I guess like Microsoft they have little time left before they become a pointless company and perhaps this is their first acknowledgement of their demise.

RIP the PDF format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines