Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 - cannot open pdf files in Reader DC

Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have recently upgraded my company notebook to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I have been using Acrobat Reader XI without problems. Since I upraded, opening PDF files always ends with no response. After opening pdf file, there is only busy icon for few seconds and then nothing (not even a blink of a new window / frame). I have already tried several methods:

• Uninstalling Reader XI with advanced uninstaller application. Reinstalling it with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
  • Complete uninstall of Reader DC with AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2015. Then reinstallation > unsuccessful
  • I have also tried updating Reader DC to latest version, then using itself repair mechanism (Help > repair installation) >  same result

When I open directly Reader DC (either shortcut or *.exe), it executes normally and it allows me to open probably almost any PDF file as in the past. But if I trie to open any PDF file, it does nothing. After checking processes table via task manager I found out that there are two processes running in the background "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32 bit)". It is +2 after trying to open another PDF file / Reader DC.

I have also experienced this same problem on different machines. It is quite annoying, given the fact I do not want to use native Windows reader...

My current state:

HP ZBook 15, i7-4800MQ, 16GB RAM

MS Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - Czech (15.008.20082)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Hey tomasnav,

Open Reader, navigate to Edit menu -> Preferences -> Security Enhances & disable the Protected mode.

Check f it brings any change.

Regards,
Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Erice,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Are you not able to view PDF file in Outlook or on a web browser or in Adobe Reader?

Are you getting the error message mentioned in the following Adobe article: PDF won’t display. Please wait … If yes, please try the suggestions mentioned in the article.

By default, this integration of PDF preview is automatically enabled within Microsoft Outlook when Acrobat is installed. Make sure that the PDF preview is enabled.

Are you using freeware Adobe Acrobat Reader or the paid version Adobe Acrobat Pro/Standard? What is the dot version of Acrobat/Reader installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

What is the version of the operating system installed?

Have you tried opening the PDF file directly into Adobe Reader/Acrobat? Is it specific to one PDF or with all the PDF files?

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Earlier this year I installed Windows 10 on my laptop and all my PDF files saved prior to the install cannot be opened. I get the following message

Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open the file because it is either not a supported file type of file has been damaged.

I have tried the above suggestions, when I go to Edit Menu my Security Proprieties not highlighted and not accessible.  Any other suggestions?

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows cannot find the Adobe Reader exe file even when I open the folder, find the program icon itself, right click on the icon and "open" it. Have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Tried compatibility troubleshooter. Not working. Windows also "cannot find" a pdf file when clicked on. Urgent problem.Capture-windows.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so I am having the same problems.  I posted this earlier today

" It started as failure to open PDFs;  I uninstalled and reinstalled AR DC, still PDFs on emails in MS Outlook would not open. Then I tried to open PDFs in Documents folders - got a message "Windows cannot find [file name clicked on]. Make sure you typed the name correctly then try again".  I got the Adobe Cleaner which cleaned up and uninstalled AR DC;  reinstalled it again from Adobe website.  Still cannot open any PDF anywhere with AR DC.  But can open PDFs perfectly OK with Avast Browser and Google Chrome.  Then found I cannot even open AR DC as a free standing program by clicking in program list, and right clicking does not offer an 'open' option.  So completely stuck!  Help please.

Installed on Dell Inspiron using Windows 10 Home, build 1903, OS 18362.836"

I have tried pretty well everything in these posts (some not available on my Windows 10 or AR DC version, but nothing works.  HELP!  I am not techy so cannot bury deeply into program files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too - when I clicked on any PDF files in the latest Windows 10, Adobe Reader DC just opened and closed the application. I tried to un-install and re-install Adobe Reader DC, re-boot the system and still not working. Please help.

Also, the cleaner website does not down loads anything after I clicked 'accept' the terms of use. 

Please send me an email (at william_chan1228@pacbell.net) on how I can fix this problem or let me know when Adobe will be having a fix available for this. Thanks.  (June 24, 2020)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just worked for me.

Go into C drive, click Program Files (x86), click Adobe, Adobe Reader DC, Reader & then look for AcroRd32, rename it to AcroRd321.exe 

Walah ! Hope this helps everyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines