• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Z@xxx.tmp files in user temp folder causes gibberish font in printout

New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When files of the form Z@xxx.tmp appear in the folder C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp a Arial TrueType (CID) font appears as gibberish text in the printed output. Is this a bug in Adobe Reader? If yes, when will it be fixed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What little I seem to remember of this: such files are temporary fonts, and must be kept until the printing is completed. If you delete them before printing is complete, you will get garbage printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. That solution does not solve my problem, I am not deleting the Z@XXX.tmp files, the problem is that they are not being deleted by Adobe Reader when Adobe Reader is done with them. Here is the analysis from my SDK vendor:

"The Z@*.tmp files are temporary font files generated by Adobe Reader. In some cases these Z@*.tmp files can get stuck on the system. We have found particular PDF documents that cause the Z@*.tmp files to get stuck when printed manually from Adobe Reader to any printer.

In your case there are probably some documents that have a subset of the Arial font embedded, that get registered and stuck on the system. The "E04102018.pdf" file you have sent us earlier uses the Arial font but does not have it embedded in the PDF, so GDI probably ends up using the version that got stuck when printing another document, and this causes the garbage text."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files being left over is certainly a recurrent issue, and has been discussed somewhat in the forum. It appears to be related to certain Microsoft hotfixes. But I don't recall any discussion of this in connection with garbage text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this post still the recommended work-around? Or has the problem of locked Z@XXX.tmp files been fixed in Adobe Reader? Or some other work-around exists?

Acrobat/Reader: Z@xxx.tmp files left behind in Temp folder after printing

My Windows 2012 R2 servers are using the latest version of Adobe Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a complaint about corrupted fonts being caused by Adobe temporary font files Z@XXX.tmp

FileMaker - Fonts Display Incorrectly - Knowledgebase - Michigan Medicine Confluence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is old but wanted to share my fix for this, I hope it helps someone! 

I guess this would only apply if your problem with this is user-specific. 

I was able to fix this by browsing to %userprofile%\appdata\local\adobe\acrobat\DC\cache and renaming the AcroFnt21.lst file. 

Re-opened Acrobat and it was fixed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what did you rename it to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be able to just rename it anything but I think I specifically added _old at the end of the name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines