Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text-to-Speech (TTS) using Reader app on Tablet

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am hoping that someone may please be able to help me.

I am a partial vision impaired uni student.  I use a Samsun Galaxy Tab A (SM-P550) with S Pen.

I have been using Adobe Reader for all my uni readings for the semester.  Very useful for making notes and highlighting on the document instead of printing the document.

Is there a TTS 'plugin' or feature available on the Android app that I can use with the PDF open and I am still able to make notes - all at the same time.

I also use Adobe Acrobat Pro and store my uni readings on the cloud where I can gain access on the tablet.

I appreciate any help

Cheers

Sasha

TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

1. Go to the Language and input panel and tap on Text-to-speech options at the bottom of the screen.

2. Click on your Preferred TTS engine.

You will be able to find Google text-to-speech engine, as well as one from your device manufacturer if any.

Also the reader has an feature to activate Read out Loud :

1. In the View menu, choose Read Out Loud > Activate Read Out Loud.
  2. Again go to View > Read Out Loud and then choose an appropriate option for reading: To read the current page, choose Read This Page Only. To read the entire document, choose Read To End of Document.

However it is available on laptop versions only. But you can request a feature here for android.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

1. Go to the Language and input panel and tap on Text-to-speech options at the bottom of the screen.

2. Click on your Preferred TTS engine.

You will be able to find Google text-to-speech engine, as well as one from your device manufacturer if any.

Also the reader has an feature to activate Read out Loud :

1. In the View menu, choose Read Out Loud > Activate Read Out Loud.
  2. Again go to View > Read Out Loud and then choose an appropriate option for reading: To read the current page, choose Read This Page Only. To read the entire document, choose Read To End of Document.

However it is available on laptop versions only. But you can request a feature here for android.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you prateekbandoni_19996, I appreciate your help

The Read Out Loud function will be very helpful and I will make a request for a similar function for the Android app.

Cheers

Sasha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to second this request! I am working on my thesis every chance I get  meaning that I often use my tablet as it fits better in the bag I carry around.  TTS, in my experience from being legally blind,  wants to read the page you're on,  so if I switch windows to take notes,  it interrupts my reading and prolongs my reading of the article. I just can't take my computer with me everywhere and I love the Read Out Loud function! I use PDFs so frequently because of that tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I seem to be able to switch between apps while the voice continues reading at least when using "Select to Speak" in Android, and after activating "Read in the background", which for me is found in Settings > System > Accessibility > Select to speak > Settings > Read in the background.

Using Swedish Android so hope I translated the menus correctly.

Good luck and have a great day,

David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines