Highlighted

Printing a pdf opens "save as" instead.

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had this happen, but whenever I attempt to print a pdf, it opens a "save as" box instead.  So I've saved the pdf to my desktop, but after it's opened again I select print and the same "save as" box pops up again.  The ONLY way I've been able to print is by right-clicking the pdf file from my desktop.  Only then does it actually print.

I'm using Adobe X Reader (version 10.1.7).  Why doesn't it allow me to print a pdf when the app is open?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bernd Alheit | Adobe Community Professional

In the print dialog disable the entry "Print to File".

Topics

Print, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Printing a pdf opens "save as" instead.

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had this happen, but whenever I attempt to print a pdf, it opens a "save as" box instead.  So I've saved the pdf to my desktop, but after it's opened again I select print and the same "save as" box pops up again.  The ONLY way I've been able to print is by right-clicking the pdf file from my desktop.  Only then does it actually print.

I'm using Adobe X Reader (version 10.1.7).  Why doesn't it allow me to print a pdf when the app is open?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bernd Alheit | Adobe Community Professional

Topics

Print, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue, have had for months, had new printer in meantime, this has not helped. Don't mind printing from the file, except that it doesn't give you the option for b+w printing to save on coloured ink, which is a pain for things like boarding passes, which are usually very colourful!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're amazing, thank you, all fixed, who would have thought it was so easy, I'm sure this i something I enabled myself without meaning to, and without knowing that option exists it's almost impossible to fix, so simple, but such an enormous help, thank you for taking the time to read the posts and reply!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much!  I simply couldn't figure it out, even when scanning my print options.  I also may have inadvertently selected "print to file" at some point?  It's such a simple fix that I almost feel silly that I missed it.

Thanks to you and back up and running again! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to sound stupid but where do I find the print dialogue? Thank

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File->Print or command-p (mac) or control p (windows)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This realy doen't answer the question. I'm running Windows 8.1 and it doesn't matter what PRINT botton I try to use to print my PDF with. When ever the PDF document is open on my screen and I press either the printer icon in the tool bar or go to FILE and click on the print botton there the print window comes up with my selected printer in the Printer select window. When I press Print the progess bar briefly comes up and disappears and then a SAVE AS window pops up to save the PDF in a file. It does this on my home printer and a different printer at work as well. I'm using Adobe Reader DC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control + p -> Advanced

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some people dont have the option for print to file.

I found my own way, I hope it works for you guys.

step 1: go to print page  [File->Print or command-p (mac) or control p (windows)]

step 2: hover over to destination and choose your printer name.

If you do not see your printer name, then click see more options. then choose your printer name

step 3: Print

My pdf files open up on google chrome on windows 10. so this might or might not work for you. but it did for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NICE ONE, SOMETIME I JUST OVERLOOK CHEKING THE OBVIOUS....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC