Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expand Text Fields or Tables when needed

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I want to create a file with  text fields that expand, when the field is full. Sadly the posibility to minimize the characters is not an option.

Furthermore I am looking for an option to expand a table when a 2nd, 3rd .... line is needed. So far it feels like I searched half of the internet but I just cannot find a solution.
I would be really greatful if someone has an idea or a link that would bring me close to a solution.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In practical terms, for most purposes, what you want is just impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,

do you know a software that could help?

Is it impossible, because it would change the document itself in its structure or why exactly?

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files were not built for this kind of dynamic changes.

You can achieve it using an HTML form, most likely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no software that could help with an impossible task ... !

Everything in a PDF is at a fixed location. So to make room for something to expand means moving everything else, with scripting, one element at a time. But that's the easy part compared to discovering that a field is "full". It just wasn't make for it. It's rather like a paper form. Yes, you can expand a field in a paper form with scissors and more paper and drawing lines ... but it isn't what you do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you use the AEM software you can create an XFA PDF form ( totally different structure to a normal PDF ) and it allows a lot more dynamic features, similar to HTML forms, for more information about the various PDF file formats : Adobe Experience Manager Help | PDF Forms and Documents

Please not these forms are not created by Acrobat, they use a different tool, they can be viewed abd filled in on Acrobat or Reader.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also... AEM forms ONLY work in Acrobat/Reader on Windows or Mac. Not on browsers, not on any mobile device.

Adobe is trying to move away from this entirely, AEM includes a server tool to dynamically convert such forms to HTML5 forms, which are filled with a browser. Basically, though, obsolete tech. Full of once neat and useful features, but dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines