I am wondering what the best approach for this would be.
Here's my problem at hand:
Hopefully this can be done on a web page (ASP.Net)...
1) Allow user to open a previously created PDF
2) when the user click son the document, I create a bubble\Oval where they clicked
3) this click will open a form (specific to that click) and allow the user to enter data (maybe 5 fields) attached to a databse
4) if the user clicks another area, it replicates the same steps listed above
5) user can then save the document
6) if they re-open that doc again, it should show all the bubbles\ovals create on page and when each bubble\oval is clicked, it displays that form with the data previously entered
What is the best approach to take here with Adobe products?
Buy acrobat along with the acrobat sdk? I will install this on a customer's iis box. Not sure how licensing occurs here with multiple users etc...
Copy link to clipboard
What you are asking can probably be done with other technology, but not with Acrobat and the SDK as they are not licensed (or tested) for use on a server.
Thanks, Malcolm. Any suggestions as to which technology? The file will be a PDF.
There are many different PDF SDKs out there. iText and the DataLogics PDF libraries are the best. But there is also QuickPDF form Foxit, which is super simple, PDF Box and PDF Clown, which are open source, but very detailed. And there are others.
There are also other ways to do bubbling. The Perfect Acrobat tool for this is a dynamic stamp. In fact I wrote such an application. If your a member you can download it from here: Ballooning Tool . Although it is not as complex as you described, it could be modified to pull data from a server DB to place on the stamp. This would be much easier than writing a server side application to inject complex graphic content into a PDF. It also deals with the issue of the UI for your proposed bubbling app, which if it's on iis, is a problem.
I am wondering if you have time to speak about this. It's a project for a client. Curious if you are interested in completing this process for us. Let me know if interested, you can call me at 919-608-5540 to discuss.
I sent you a message through this site. Couldn't leave a message on your phone.