• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parallel and Sequential authentication of digital signatures

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I send a document to a list of users for parallel signing, does each user add his cryptographic signature over the crypto-sign of the last user to sign the doc, or just on the bare document?

This may have several implications.

For example, 

A). A document may indicate agreement of all the undersigned to some body stated in it,

OR

B). A document may be needed to be signed by a group of people in a hierarchical organization, where each person only reviews the document if it has been signed by all those in the hierarchy below him / her.

I'm fairly confused as to how it currently works and couldn't find any supporting documentation.

TOPICS
Adobe Sign forms , How to sign , Manage security and compliance , Product information , Workflow designer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention digital / cryptographic signatures. Not all Acrobat Sign use cases actually collect digital / cryptographic signatures of the signers, they only collect non-cryptographic electronic ones and eventually create an Adobe cryptographic signature to secure the document. Are you sure you have a use case with cryptographic signer signatures?

The interoperable digital PDF signatures do not allow real parallel signatures, merely sequential ones. Non-cryptographic lectronic PDF signatures, on the other hand, can be implemented with real parallel signing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Satvik278465211v10,

Thank you for reaching out.

If you are looking for information on parallel and sequential signing workflow, please refer to the information provided on the following help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/sign/fedramp/user/sequential-workflow.html.

Check if that information answers your questions.

In the Parallel signing workflow, the recipients will sign to the signature field assigned to them anytime they open the form. They do not have to wait for others to sign it first. 

Let us know if you have any questions or are referring to something else.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MeenakshiNegi

In case I use text tags in the document to specify signer field location (signer1, signer2 ...), and if I send the document for paralel signing, then will the recipients sign only in their field ? For example the first person in the list will sign signer1 field, the second person will sign signer2 field and so on ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, @MikelKlink and @MeenakshiNegi.

@MeenakshiNegi: I found the workflow you are referring to earlier. But it isn't what I am looking for. 

@MikelKlink: The use case I'd specify for parallel cryptographic signs is the difference between A (needs parallel signs) and B (sequential signs should do). More specifically in a parallel signing scheme, a signature should sign only the document's contents and not other signer's signatures.

Does this make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The use case I'd specify for parallel cryptographic signs is the difference between A (needs parallel signs) and B (sequential signs should do). More specifically in a parallel signing scheme, a signature should sign only the document's contents and not other signer's signatures.

Interoperable (as per specification) digital (cryptographic) PDF signatures do not allow true parallelism as each PDF revision can add only one signature (with a single SignerInfo) which has to cover all previous revisions.

For the old ISO 32000-1 interoperable signatures this has not been stated explicitly, merely implied. For the newer PAdES interoperable signatures it has been stated explicitly.

If you are looking into the flavor of Acrobat Sign signing processes that do not include per user cryptographic signature but only a single, finalizing cryptographic signature by Adobe Sign, parallelism is technically possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines