• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Collages" are not really collages

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm wrong, tell me.  BUT the collages functionality in Adobe Express is just like every other template-driven poster/card/ad design, and is NOT a true collage-specific design method.

I have used several collage IPhone apps and Windows PC applications. They ALL offer the user a selection of "many" different BLANK layouts on which to place media files. The purpose is to give a clear non-cluttered, probably logical, display of those media files. The final result allows logical "side by side" visualization of 2 to maybe 6/10 image/video files.

The key mechanism is a BLANK page of possible locations on which to place the media files. These apps and applications may offer dozens or more of BLANK pages with different layouts. Typically the specific locations can be resized, rotated, and moved. Text can be placed where needed.

Adobe Express does have a tab entitled "Collages" but that section looks just like every other design section, with its templates already full of images and text in some very supposedly artsy advertisement manner.  That is NOT a collage. That is a marketing page of glitter and glamour. Just like ALL the other templates sections.

I left a review in the App Store discussing my frustration with this lack of basic, true collage design. An Adobe rep replied back with this 'we do good and fight evil' response.

"Hi there, We want to make it possible for anyone to create standout content easily. We have introduced Adobe Creative Cloud Express with this vision in mind."

Huh ??

Please consider my frustration and reply with specifics.

Thank you,

Clark Johnson

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clark,

Thanks for providing us with detailed feedback. We understand your frustration. I'd like to inform you that we have seen everyone uses features differently.

We understand when you say that the collage looks like just another template with placed images. It is set up in this way to let users get an idea of what kind of images they can use for their collage to stand out. It also empowers users to make unique and awesome collage projects.

However, users are free to add or remove images from the collage template, or they can create collages from scratch as per their requirements. 

Also, we want to provide a better experience; and as this release is just the beginning, we welcome your feedback to build this new app together! You may post your suggestion of having preset designs for collage or any other requirements here so other users could also upvote for this feature and let the engineering team know about it directly.

We appreciate your feedback and patience,

Thanks,

Amitej

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply,

I will post my suggestion on that link.

In parting here, I'll just stay that collage templates do not need pre
mounted images. They actually are contrary to good collage design, since
the images clutter up the template.

Also, a good collage design is simple, blank, and basic. The existing
templates are complex, cluttered, with too many angles. Typically a collage
will have aligned rectangles of images. Of course, there will be more
"artistic" templates available for occasional use.

I've attached page 1 (of several) blank collage forms that a collage app
furnishes.

Thank you,
Clark Johnson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya Clark!

I feel your frustration, and hope to maybe offer up a "middle-ground" solution. If you want to have a collage setup or two (or three or however many 😉), you could consider REMIXING an existing collage sample from Adobe's collection:

1.  Choose a sample that closest resembles the structure you're looking for, and open it.
  2.  Choose each sample image and click the Delete key/trash icon; select Delete Content, removing the image, but leaving the grid space where new images can be dropped in.
    anissa_thompson_0-1654586272395.png
  3.  Change/remove any sample text. 
  4.  Click Share, and select Make a Template, and give your template a name, short description, and Save to a Library location:
    anissa_thompson_1-1654586728754.png
  5.  Use your new BLANK template (instead of the default starter templates) to start collages the way you like... the grid layout is intact but can be modified, and no more looking at other people's images. 

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anissa,

While I do appreciate that you took the time to give me a detailed recommendation, frankly it's not worth the effort for me. I work play with images every day and have several image editing and layout apps.  PhotoLeap by Lightricks is one of my top 3 already. I just realized that it has a good standard layout system for collages.  I will use that.

Thank you,

Clark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines