Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to download Adobe Fonts?

New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I am needing to download a font file from my Adobe fonts.  Currently I can only activate it but cannot download anything.  I need it to upload to my squarespace website.  Please advise.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. The Adobe Fonts can only be activated and cannot be downloaded on your system the same way that your local fonts are, so they won’t show up in your font management software or in the system fonts folder.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. The Adobe Fonts can only be activated and cannot be downloaded on your system the same way that your local fonts are, so they won’t show up in your font management software or in the system fonts folder.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come? I need to use the Trajan Pro font for my logo. How can I use this is my Pages documents and in Word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a font file for an Adobe font you will have to buy a license, if anyone sells it. Why not make the logo in Illustrator and place it in Pages and Word? It is unusual to keep remaking a logo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be more specific, logos should be stand-alone. You create them in an illustration program such as Adobe Illustrator and then place a version of same in Pages or Word or InDesign or whatever! You should not be recreating a logo every time you need to use it in those layout and word processing programs.

Assume you are going to create a logo in Illustrator and then use it elsewhere. For Pages and InDesign, for example, you would save the Illustrator-based logo as a PDF file with the font embedded and import/place the PDF file into the Pages or InDesign document. For Microsoft Word (or Excel or PowerPoint), convert the text to outlines in Illustrator (generally a bad idea, but necessary here) and save the logo as an SVG file. Although on MacOS, Office can import PDF-based content, such support is not particularly good and is non-existent if you bring the Office document to a Windows system (all you end up with there for such imported PDF is a low resolution raster representation of the PDF content). However, Office supports import of SVG very well and as such, SVG with outlined fonts is you solution for Word!

PS:   I rarely endorse any “text outlining” since it generally degrades text rendering quality. That having been said, it is better than rasterizing text and at the larger point sizes typically found in logos, the degradation from outlining will be minimized.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, nothing has changed. If you want a font file for an Adobe font you will have to buy a license, if anyone sells it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about using the fonts on another app, anywhere else? Aren't you banning all users of another app by forcing them to use these font inside your corresponding apps, like Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, Acrobat... ? They're not free and requiring an Creative Cloud subscription to use these apps, so how can you make these apps as a penalty for having these Adobe fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously Adobe aren't going to give you $50,000-$200,000 worth of font downloads, no matter what. And having fonts that didn't work in other company's apps probably sounds quite attractive.  But what you say is wrong "How about using the fonts on another app, anywhere else? " Fonts, once activated, can be used in most Windows or Mac apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, CapCut on desktop aren't supporting Adobe-activated fonts due to an strange, 'proprietary' mechanism that ByteDance didn't learn about. Fonts aren't showing up in fonts section on system settings, and CapCut PC cannot search and detect any Adobe fonts, resulting in Adobe fonts rendered unusable on the app and will not show.

Nguyen2674522974w5_1-1666534440097.png

Idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts aren't showing up in fonts section on system settings, and CapCut PC cannot search and detect any Adobe fonts, resulting in Adobe fonts rendered unusable on the app and will not show.

Idea?

By @Nguyen2674522974w5

Ask in a CapCut forum. I can use Adobe fonts in Word, but not in Camtasia. But anyhow, they come with my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, so I expect them to be usable in Creative Cloud applications.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, and "once activatd' means spending more money. Egods. The world is so damn expensive for a porr person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts are included with a creative cloud subscription. There is no extra.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because adobe is too cheap to allow fonts to be downloaded. Perhaps after subscribing for over a year they could, but forget it. Adobe is one big greedy tyghtwade. They forget who made them who they are today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely my thoughts! This is total BS - if I have a subscription, it should come with downloadable font files, not some BS rigamarol trying to find the original and license it. Do better Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to download font's to photoshop and it's not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see if we can solve this, Diane.  Please answer these questions.

1. How are you trying to download the fonts?

2. Where are the fonts from, and what are the fonts?

3. What happens when you try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I download the Adobe Devanagari font in my phone please tell??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paying 59.00 a month ad nauseum forever is not enough to be able to actually download these fonts to my computer is ridiculous. I have permission to use in commercial design but I can only turn them on and off in my own system? As a professional designer it's been a standard to have the actual font for the packaging of a logo or at the least a business card design, and now thanks to adobe not allowing this, it is useless to even test out or use any of the fonts in your database that we are supposedly already paying for. What gives? Please make this possible, Adobe team! Seriously!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Fonts service is far, far too low priced for that. The font files in Adobe Fonts would retail at maybe $50,000. So clearly they aren't going to give you them in a $60 per month service for many other things. It's an amazing bargain, but with severe limitations for long term planning and web fonts. In such cases I'd always recommend licensing separately. Check out Adobe Font Folio (not for web use).

Also, sending on fonts with logos and designs has ALWAYS been a license violation. At last Adobe can stop it. Why would you need it today anyway - the recipient's subscription will give them the font to work with...?
Finally, Adobe only own about 5% or less of the fonts in Adobe Fonts. The makers of the others would take their ball and go home, if Adobe suggested giving away their font files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor Adobe. Why, they must be going broke letting people activtae their fonts using just a subscription.

My sarcasm aside, here is a ligitimate question. Was it $50,000 to buy the Adobe font library in the past? And if that's the case, why isn't there a discount for rebuying the fonts now that everything has to be open type? It seems to me we should still be able to buy the library, and yes, at a discount. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't own all of their collection. Licensing terms are up to individual foundries. And it wasn't $50,000 but it WAS expensive.

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/font-folio-end-of-sale.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't talking about the fonts Adobe doesn't own. I'm talking about the money spent on Font Folio, whose fonts are no longer usable. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A little supplementary info on Adobe Font Folio, so far as I know. 

Anyway

- Font Folio was released in OpenType Format over 19 years ago

- There was upgrade pricing - $2500 for people with FontFolio 8 or 9

- Adobe didn't own all the fonts in Adobe Font Folio (but I can see why you'd assume that). If we say Adobe owned around 500 fonts, that's around 20% of them (wild guess). The others would need fees paid to the font foundries.

- At one time Adobe Font Folio contained around a third of all the OTF fonts in existence. Those days are long gone.

Further info https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography-discussions/font-folio-opentype-edition/m-p/1629995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Font_Folio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly nothing I say will make you feel that Adobe are a model of generosity, and nor should it; they want to maximize profit. But here is some data which informed the "maybe $50,000" that I posted.

- until recently you could buy a license for Adobe Font Folio. A CD-based collection of 2,400 OTF fonts, $9000 for a normal license for 20 computers, but with a special at a mere $2600. So that's as little as $1.08 per font, let's call it $1 per font.

- Adobe Fonts (subscription) offers "over 20,000 fonts" - more than 8 times as many. So on the $1 per font model, that would be $20,000.

- But, some of the fonts in Adobe Fonts are available for free (eg Google Fonts). That lowers the price.

- But many of the fonts in Adobe Fonts could never be purchased at $1. Indeed, a more typical price is $30 per font for a desktop license. On that model the base price for $20,000 fonts could be said to be $600,000.

- Adobe Fonts also offers a web font license with unlimited web views. A typical price for this is $100-$1000 per font, so the $20,000 fonts could go up to $2 million, before we start to deduct for the free fonts.

- So... I picked the $50,000 value. Just a vague suggestion. Just chosen to show how unlikely a demand that people could get the font files with their subscription is. 

- Adobe occasionally bundled fonts with apps and gave font files. Maybe there were around 500 of them, and if you had them and kept them you can still use them. That's less than 3% of the library available today. 

On the question of discount... I believe there was a discount on Adobe Font Folio, if you actually purchased the Adobe Font Library before. But that is no longer available. If you never purchased Adobe Font Folio, that wouldn't apply.

Adobe only actually own their own fonts - perhaps 500-1000. They could choose to give them away. The others are under license, under the terms they agreed. Foundries can end the license and get the font cancelled for all subscribers; this has happened. Probably a fee for each font that a subscriber activates. If you want any non-Adobe font, you need to make your own arrangement to get them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines