• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

old font

New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, I am looking for this font: CaslonFiveForty Caslon 540 Roman, PostScript Type1, Copyright 1988 Adobe Systems Incorporated. Now it is not avaible on adobe fonts. Maybe someone would know where to get it? With the license of course. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, type 1 fonts would be a poor investment. They have a year of life at most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also note that the Caslon 540 font available per @Test Screen Name's reference are in OpenType CFF format, the successor to Type 1 fonts.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have this font somewhere on my old backup drive as a backup copy, but I am concern about the license. As I remember, copyright for that specific font had Adobe. Now I am using CS6. Could I install this font again? could I use it commercially? get license from Adobe? or it is better to buy it on myfonts? (over there copyright has paratype). One more, probably not smart question…may I use Minion Pro font commercialy when I have CS6? Thank you for the answers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are a few issues here.

Per EOL for Type 1 Font Support, support for Type 1 fonts (such as the original Caslon 540 font you had), is being phased out. Going forward, renewed use of Type 1 fonts really isn't prudent.

In terms of CS6, you are aware that this is really an old version of Adobe software that is no longer supported in any way by Adobe. It won't even install on any recent vintage version of MacOS and may be problematic on recent Windows versions as well.

In terms of the license, assuming (which we do) that you properly licensed the font in the past, yes, you can install it from your backup onto your current system and there are no restrictions against using it commercially (never have been for fonts licensed from Adobe). You obviously can't give the fonts to others, but you can embed it in PDF, for example.

No, you can no longer license this font in Type 1 format from Adobe. You can only license it in OpenType CFF format as part of the very expensive Font Folio 11.1 product.

Yes, if you have license for Minion Pro (even if the font was bundled with CS6), yes you can use it commercially.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines