Exit

AME cannot connect to Dynamic Link Server

Participant ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

The Problem:

I updated to the latest versions of Adobe CC products yesterday, only to find that I cannot render from After Effects as I normally did – when I go to "File > Export > Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue" absolutely nothing happens. When I drag a comp from AE to AME, AME gets stuck on "Connecting to Dynamic Link Server..." and won't proceed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may have happened during the update to break AME's connection to the Dynamic Link Server?

My system:

27-inch, Mid 2011 iMac

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

16GB RAM

Sierra 10.12.4

Software:

After Effects 2017.2 Release, Version 14.2.0.198

Adobe Media Encoder 2017.1 Release, Build 11.1.0.170

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

1. As I mentioned, both After Effects and AME are the latest updates, I've checked several times. It's bothersome to me that I have the 2017.2 version of AE and the 2017.1 version of AME, but that appears to be the latest versions of both.

2. I uninstalled AME, manually moved the leftover preference files from previous installs out of the way, and reinstalled the software using the CC tool.

3. I verified that I can connect via Dynamic Link between After Effects and Premier Pro (which I rarely use).

4. I ran a static file through AME with no problems.

5. I tried dropping and dragging an AE comp to AME, but as mentioned above, the file gets stuck on "Connecting to Dynamic Link Server..." and refuses to budge.

Temporary Workaround

I have resorted to exporting my After Effects files using AE's native Render Queue using lossless settings, saving the resultant .mov file in a watch folder which AME then picks up and processes to our specifications. This works, obviously, but takes longer and interrupts the workflow a bit and simply isn't as convenient as being able to export directly to Adobe Media Encoder from AE.

In conclusion… I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate ay insight! This software is very complex, issues like this will happen from time to time - I'm just happy that Adobe usually responds fairly quickly and always finds a fix.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

To anyone interested in this thread, the Adobe team contacted me shortly after my original post and has worked with me several times since then to track down the issue. They truly are dedicated to fixing these sorts of errors.

I had found a workaround, and deleting various preferences solved the issue for me, but the underlying cause remained a mystery... Today I received this message from the Adobe folks:

I just want to give you a follow up.

I looked into this further and find out this problem h

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the Adobe folder in user/Documents did the trick for me (iMac Pro, AE 15.1)

Thx !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem; I had to reboot my system to get it to work. I'm going to have Adobe CC suite installed on another computer so if this happens again I can sneakernet all of my files with the .aep with a flash drive to the other system and go from there. If AME is stuck on connecting to dynamic link server for more than 60 seconds I immediately abort the mission and try again, purging my disk cache and removing the stopped AME session.

Sometimes I believe these are the equivalent of sneezes in the digital world. Often times restarting the process clears it up. Last July I upgraded to an Asus WS Pro/SE x299 motherboard since I do graphics work and I believe this board has a latent defect because I am getting Windows 95 era boot times of 117 seconds from power on to lock screen and Asus can't find a solution. I've updated the UEFI bios several times and this has not cleared the problem. Sometimes the mobo will hang on the ASUS splash screen and not load Windows at all, meaning an unsuccessful POST. It is not Windows 10 Home because more than half that time is before the BIOS hands off the loading process to the OS. When Asus releases its next generation of RoG boards I will upgrade to that. Ice Lake from Intel is coming for HEDT systems which will be a socket design change from the current LGA2066 form factor, requiring a motherboard change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this as well as the firewall thing (in one go), so one or the other (or both) fixed this for me!

MacBook Pro 16 2019, AE: 17.6, ME: 14.8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo I bought an entire new iMac just to solve this issue but this shit still won't load into Adobe Media Encoder. How hard can it be to set this straight?

Fix this shit Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am pretty new to AE and PP, what to speak of AME. I have an AE comp with a dynamic link to PP. When I want to encode in AME the dynamic link doesn't work and my sequence does not get encoded. It stopped working last night. How can I fix this? Can I unlink the AE comp from the original PP project? What's the way around this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've talked to Adobe and they told me to change the language in the system settings to english and then it works.

My default language was different from the Adobe language.

It's a problem Adobe will solve soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ok I've gone through this whole thread, checked my prefs in AE (alothough I'm not using AE), thrown out the Adobe folder in Documents, changed my Mac's language to English (it was in French), to no avail.

I'm trying to export a Premiere Timeline, and wether I try a direct export or via AME, it doesn't work, and via AME it crashes. Well, actually when I did my exports to MXF it worked, but now I need ProRes and h264 versions and nothing I've tried is working.

My setup: MacPro late 2013, 6-core 3.5 GHz, 32 Gb ram, 2x AMD FirePro D700, Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) Premiere Pro 2019

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is gonna sound really dumb but i shut off my computer  and turned it back on (not the restart feature. literally shutting it off, waiting a couple seconds, and then turning it back on) and it magically started working.

I was so lost. i tried everything. cleared all my caches, played with the render settings, ended processes in the task manager. nothing. i hope the fix is as easy as this for most people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!!!

I had the same issue, working around it the same way,

I changed the OS system language to English and restarted my Imac.

Thank you everyone here for your solutions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a very old thread but I had the same problem with the newest update (Nov 2019). But by increasing my maximum disk cache size in after effects preference solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I am in 2020 with the newest version of both. I have literally tried ALL of these options and NOTHING worked. My deadline is next week and I just spend 5 hours trying to fix this and it's still not fixed... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello i am from 2021, still not fixed 🙂 

i want to die, i created such amazing project and adobe decided to ditch me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately experiencing the same issue on 2 PC-s... All the workarounds failed. Can not export my projects at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have the exact same error and Im working to a deadline DOH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. Hope it will help someone in the future. 
I've had the same problem while trying to render with AME. 
I've checked the settings of the firewall and gave permissions to all of Adobe programms, and it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue but not new for me... since Adobe 2019 this problem is active. Every thing about dynamic link is crashing since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone got any fixes? My OS language has been set to English forever, I updated both of them, restarted my mac, checked the preferences, deleted that Adobe file from documents. 
It's 2021 now and still the same issue.

please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issue on the newest after effects and media encoder, im on a macbook pro m1 i have no idea how to fix it.. none of these seem to be working for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing four seperate threads here on this same issue that's been around since 2017. I've been posting detailed posts of my experience in this other thread, but there hasn't been any solution that works for everyone, or that lasts.  https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/ame-stuck-on-connecting-to-dynamic-link-ser...
There are some additional workarounds and things that work for some people, though for me only some of them work temporairily. After the newest update to AE2022 yesterday, my ME worked great, today it's broken again. Same issue, stuck 'connecting to project' or on 'dynamic link'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how much did they pay you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too, definitaly more steps than I would like to but at least it worked and my project was saved. Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines