• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't play mp4 file converted using AME on Windows Movies & TV nor WMP

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a .mp4 file from our GoToWebinar presentation, it opens fine from Windows Movies & TV by default.  But once I cut out the beginning of the video and convert the file in Adobe Media Encoder using "Match Source", I cannot open the converted .mp4 file.  Tried to open from Windows media player, no luck either.

Update: I cut up the file in Premier, and export in Premier to H.264 (,mp4), same result, cannot open in Windows Movies & TV.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Randy Chen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Premiere Pro and Media Encoder are you using?
Can you import the original .mp4 file and the converted .mp4 file into Premiere Pro and playback properly?
Possibly, converted files are not released from Premiere Pro or Media Encoder.  If this is the case, could you quit them and then play in Movies & TV app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest CC.

Quitting all programs and open the converted mp4 in Movies & TV app still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you playback the converted file in Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, can you try rebooting your machine to see if you can play those files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to reboot my system after the system is done checking if Windows has any corrupted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows didn't find any corrupted files and reboot system didn't help.

Tried to open the file on co-worker's computer no help.

He tried to export on his system but given the same problem:  anything we exported from Premier or Media Encoder cannot be opened by Movies & TV, WMP, or Quicktime.

The workaround now is I am using Youtube to cut up the video and download from youtube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really strange.  Have never heard of this issue before...

Do you see the same problem if you encode other files? Or is this specific to one particular source file?

And you are using Windows 10 with Premiere Pro 13.0 and Media Encoder 13.0, correct?

Could you see if you can playback the encoded file in VLC? https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On VLC, only sound no video.

Not sure if GoToWebinar source file which is an .MP4 might be a problem?  It is around 80MB, very small compared to the converted file of 1.3GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is the duration of the source file?  Could you post a screenshot of the video export settings, including the bitrate settings and the summary section?
But, ultimately, we may need to take a look into the source file as well as the converted file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Source file  is about 90MB.  But management does not want the contents to be published public on-line as it contains sensitive information. 

The source file is from GoToWebinar. Not sure if that helps.

We have a director present the webinar, then GoToWebinar saves a recording of the webinar with the powerpoint slide deck used during the webinar as a video mp4 file.  Then I take the mp4 and cut out any jibberish in the beginning where folks go back and forth on muting their microphones...etc.  After I cut out the jibberish, I export to MP4 and upload to Vimeo password protected to distributed to other team members worldwide who missed the webinar.

The thing that is interesting is the GoToWebinar mp4 is way small than the mp4 we convert.  Not sure what type of compression they use to keep the file so small yet high quality.  Perhaps that has something to do with the issue we are having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering this could be caused by strange dimensions, aspect ratio, frame rate and etc.  I understand you cannot provide the source file.  But, could you post a screenshot of the video export settings, including the bitrate settings and the summary section (no need to include the video preview image that you cannot show to others)?  It may give some kind of clue here.

Also, as an experiment, could you try the preset called "3GPP 640x480 15fps"?

This preset doesn't use any match source.  So, it shouldn't match to any unusual settings if there is any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a short example of the export for us to download and test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.3GB is a bit too huge...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's the AME export that's the problem, just set the export to 30 - 60 seconds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open the project back up and playback the file that way, but not sure how to playback the mp4 as a player.  Does premier pro can act as a player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if the Movies & TV app is the problem, but strange it can open the original mp4 and not the converted mp4.

Tried Windows Media Player and Quicktime player, all of them cannot open.

Also tried export to .MOV, not able to open in any app.

So it seems any files exported from Premier or Media Encoder cannot be opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, I know this was a while ago but did you ever find a solution?

I'm having the same issue but it's only just seemed to happen recently.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines