• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to render Alpha + RGB in Adobe Media Encoder?

Engaged ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to render a video.

Alpha;

RGB;

Alpha + RGB;

I can do in After Effects:

Encoder.png

How to do this in Adobe Media Encoder?

TOPICS
Export or render , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Hi Ti.S. Cavalcanti,

You have to make sure to set the bit depth to 32 bits. Note that only specific codecs allow you to do this.

Alpha.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ti.S. Cavalcanti,

You have to make sure to set the bit depth to 32 bits. Note that only specific codecs allow you to do this.

Alpha.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you put more bits? 48 or 64 for example.

What if I want to render only alpha, how do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ti.s.cavalcanti,

ti.s.cavalcanti wrote:

What happens if you put more bits? 48 or 64 for example.

What if I want to render only alpha, how do?

Good questions. Let me look into that for you.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, Thanks, Kevin Monahan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer me at least how to render in just alpha. Please. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you maybe explain a bit more about the workflow, what you wish to accomplish? When you say "just alpha", can I assume you mean a black and white image representing transparent and opaque areas? Which can be used as a "mask" later in a keying operation of some sort?

With older versions of Premiere such as CS6, one could change the Program Monitor settings from Composite to Alpha, then Export the alpha (black/white) video. With CC, that is no longer the case from what I can tell. Changing to Alpha mode shows the black and white alpha in Program, however exporting still exports the original image! In my mind, the Export should export what I am seeing in the Program monitor window, and not something else...

Anyway, if you are using the Ultra Keyer in Premiere CC, then you CAN Export the alpha, see attached pic. Key out the background of the clip, then change setting from "Composite" to "Alpha" and then Export. In the top example, if you Export from the timeline and choose a 32-bit codec (with alpha) for the export, then the alpha channel is included - the black area will be transparent. With the lower example, that would just be a 24-bit image, no alpha - the black and white areas represent transparent and opaque parts of the clip. The clip exported from the bottom could then be used as a "mask" layer to combine two other video clips using that mask clip as a guide. Please elaborate on what you want to do.

Comp vs Alpha 2.jpg

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Good job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

SAFEHARBOR11 wrote:

With older versions of Premiere such as CS6, one could change the Program Monitor settings from Composite to Alpha, then Export the alpha (black/white) video. With CC, that is no longer the case from what I can tell. Changing to Alpha mode shows the black and white alpha in Program, however exporting still exports the original image! In my mind, the Export should export what I am seeing in the Program monitor window, and not something else...

Thanks for confirming as to the way a video file with an alpha channel worked at one time. It's the same method I tried. This sounds like a bug. I'll look into it.

Best wishes,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to do in "AME", the functions that have After Effects.

Are they?

RGB - Opaque = Colors / Transparent = black.

RGB.jpg

Alpha - Opaque = White / Transparent = Black.

Alpha.jpg

RGB+Alpha - Opaque = Colors / Transparent = Transparent.

Alpha+RGB.jpg

As in After Effects.

Encoder.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ti.s.cavalcanti,

I found out from the After Effects team that you do not have the same options for exporting as you did with the render queue. Rendering out an alpha channel only file is not directly possible, but there is a workaround, as described here: Re: How to render out JUST Alpha in Media Encoder

Of course, the other two options are supported. I mentioned earlier how to export RGB+Alpha. Of course, you can export RGB only by switching the Depth setting to 24.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all! Now I understand everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do to, when only 16-bit max is available and not 32-bit? export is from Character Animator.Exporteinstellungen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, the link is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into the same issue when I try to render a ProRes 4444 file from Adobe media Encoder 2020. The maximum Depth I can render at is 16-bpc+alpha, and the rendered video processes in YUV colorspace rather than the RGB I need it to be. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm running into the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bpc: bits per layer

16 bits par couche= 3x16= 48 bits

+16 bits alpha = 64 bits ! that's a max

ProRes is a YUV codec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get to this screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2016 Jul 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've found a different solution. In Media Encoder, I changed the format to quicktime, then in video codec, to PNG. Done. My videos with transparency in avi were almost 2gb. Now have only 20mb, and with the same quality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey there.

i dont seem to have a png codec. please ellaborate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG Export.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was very helpful. i hope the software that will be used will open it up. ( the software is mix emergency / serato dj incase anyone was wondering ) thx again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines