• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated to Media Encoder 22.4 , now I cannot "interpret footage" (120fps proxy workflow)

New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As my subject line says, I updated to 22.4 and now I do not have the option to "Interpret Footage" (it's greyed out) after I send my footage from Premiere Pro to Media Encoder. If you aren't familiar with the 120FPS workaround, I interpret 120fps footage to 23.976 in PP and in ME so I avoid the 60fps issue. I have now downgraded to (22.3.1) until there is a solution. Really hurts my workflow.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Hi all, 

Instead of fixing the broken workaround, we are fixing the reason the workaround was needed in the first place. 

Specifically, in the next version of Premiere, if you use Interpret Footage to change frame rate, then create proxies, Media Encoder will create proxies at the correct frame rate.

The next version of Premiere will be available before the end of August. Before then, using the Speed/Duration option on the media can also be used to change the frame rate for creating a slow

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Just downloaded the update yesterday and the fix seems to be working great. Thanks @Fergus H 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I use 50fps material shot on FX9 and A7S III and frequently make proxies and interpret to 25fps

Please address Adobe, this is just one of many problems that never seem to get improved. As someone else said leaning closer and closer to moving to Resolve each day as Premiere increasingly can't be trusted on a daily basis for professionals that need to deliver work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here: very dissapointing to find out that such a simple and essential workflow all of a sudden doesn't work anymore in Adobe Premiere. It is frustrating and it left me as a professional editor stranded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this. We're looking into it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

Premiere 2022 seems to have a lot of issues. It doesn't import FX9 and FX6 material in Slog3 correctly either and the user has to manually change the colourspace to Rec709 instead of Slog3 or a LUT is always applied, and looks really blown out and wrong.

Pleased to see Premiere 2021 works on Apple Silicon now, I've reverted back to 2021 apps, but many of the freelancers I work with are continually frustrated by Premiere Pro's unreliable performance, I know quite a few people that are already learning Resolve in order to move over to it, as it performs a lot better, and more reliably.

I also have persistent render and export issues which don't seem to be resolvable even when having Adobe remote into my system and work on it.

Thanks

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I've seen your message, Rob.

I've come to this page because I'm having trouble with the Interpret Footage issue - however, I'll be working with some Slog3 from an FX6 tomorrow for the first time, so this is a helpful note to read. Could I ask - is it advisable to revert to Premiere 2021 to avoid the Slog 3 issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Thanks for reporting this"? My goodness, we are professional editors and we pay a lot of money for software. We just want to get our stuff done, we have tight deadlines and we have bills to pay. All of a sudden our essential workflow doesn't work anymore leaving us stranded. I just spend 2 hours wondering why, and luckley found this threat to find out I'm not the only one in trouble. And all you have to say is: "Thanks for reporting this"? Thank you Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe have an update for the people in this thread?

All the best

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely understand the frustration about this. Robert or Wytse5ECC: are either of you available in the next hour (between 4 PM PST and 5 PM PST) to get on a phone call with me to discuss this issue? I'm the product manager for Media Encoder and seeing what you're seeing would be very helpful. 

Thanks,
Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Fergus,

I am having the same problem and am trying a workaround for this. I would be available to chat today if you are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly Fergus, feel free to give me a call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am available to call/screen share so you can see the issue I'm having with this - if it helps. Shoot me an email if you'd like - ander@floatinghomefilms.com to set it up. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Fergus! Any updates on this? It's so odd to me that Adobe would remove our workaround solution without providing a real one. Why would interpret footage be disabled on proxies sent from PP to ME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my other post further down. Removing this ability was not intentional. I'm also not sure if we were aware of the way in which it was being used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any resolution to this issue re: the Sony FS6 and Slog3 footage? We transcode all of our files from the native Sony MXF file to ProRes files and when we bring the ProRes files into Premiere, we're unable to clear the applied LUT that's blowing out the footage. The only way I've been able to clear it is in the native MXF file. I guess alternative plan is to revert to earlier versions of Premiere, but it seems like this would be a major issue that should have already been resolved.

Thanks,

Denise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and tried earlier versions of Media Encoder, but it turned out to be an issue with Premeire Pro. Uninstall PreP 22.4 and install v. 20. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'd like to follow up on my earlier post to provide some more information about this issue and to confirm that we fully understand the problem. 

This issue occurs when working with high-speed footage that you'd like to display as slow motion. Some cameras have an option to do this in-camera: you choose the frame rate (e.g., 120 fps) and the playback frame rate (e.g., 24 fps). This footage, when played in Premiere Pro will play back as slow motion without any adjustment. Sony calls this "Slow & Quick"; Canon calls it "Slow & Fast". 

However some cameras don't support this option or the camera operator may not have used the options and instead just shot at a higher frame rate. In this situation, you'd use the Modify > Interpret Footage option in Premiere Pro to change the playback frame rate to achieve the slow motion effect. 

This works fine unless you need to create proxies for the footage. Premiere Pro does not do this correctly: the  Interpret Footage frame rate is ignored on proxies. (What we should do is create a proxy that is at the original frame rate of the footage and then apply the Interpret Footage frame rate to the proxy in Premiere Pro.)

The workaround to this is a trick with Media Encoder: 
1. Start the proxy creation in Premiere Pro. 

2. Switch to Media Encoder and stop the queue from processing. 

3. Select all the clips and use the Interpret Footage option to change the playback frame rate. 

4. Reset the queue status and restart the queue. 

This results in proxies that match the frame rate that was selected in the Interpret Footage option in Premiere Pro. 

This workaround doesn't work now, as the Interpret Footage option is no longer available in Media Encoder on clips that entered the queue via Premiere Pro's proxy feature. 

We're actively working on a permanent fix for this and, in the short term (i.e., this week) working on a different workaround for the original issue. There are a couple already but they have some downsides so we are working on testing and providing the right guidance. 

Stay tuned to this thread, as I will be providing an update before the end of this week. My sincere apologies for this problem. Candidly, it's annoying that proxies don't work correctly with the Interpret Footage option and for us to accidentally break the workaround for that problem adds insult to injury. 

Thanks

Fergus Hammond 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fergus

That's bang on, we always needed to interpret footage and manually change the frame rate on slow motion clips for proxy, but that workaround has now been removed.

Thanks very much for the attention on this

If I'm overlooking anything someone please chime in!

All the best

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Furges!

Very much appreciated with this information so we know you are aware and working on it.

Cant wait to have the function back again which significantly will decrease my stress levels 😉 and have my normal workflow back again.

Keep up the good work!

All the best

//Lars 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an incredible reply. Thank you Fergus, sincerely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,  I have been interpreting footage in media encoder for over a year now. Recently for about a week , its been greyed out everytime i try to interpret footage. Does anyone know why this may be ?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. I used this function as a workaround for an off-speed proxy workflow. Now they've removed it? Adobe staff could we get some clarification on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've merged two threads to put the conversation about this issue into one place. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fergus, seems as though correspondence on this issue has gone quiet. Is there an expected timeframe for this issue to be resolved? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'd like to provide an update on this issue, as I know it's very frustrating. 

First, the Media Encoder team is currently working on this issue, with one of our most senior engineers devoted full-time to investigating the source of the issue and fixing it. I do not yet have an estimate for a fix. 

Second, we have created a Premiere Pro panel as a short-term workaround to this issue. The panel automates creating a matching source / proxy clip pair where both the source media and the proxy media are using the correct frame rate (that is, the frame rate you selected via the Interpet Footage command). While the panel is definitely not a permanent fix, we hope that it will be useful. The next step is for me to meet (already scheduled) with a couple of customers from this thread to review the panel, its instructionss, and to make sure we haven't missed anything. Once that is done, I will post another follow-up here about how to get the panel. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing stuff, thank you Fergus!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines