• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated to Media Encoder 22.4 , now I cannot "interpret footage" (120fps proxy workflow)

New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As my subject line says, I updated to 22.4 and now I do not have the option to "Interpret Footage" (it's greyed out) after I send my footage from Premiere Pro to Media Encoder. If you aren't familiar with the 120FPS workaround, I interpret 120fps footage to 23.976 in PP and in ME so I avoid the 60fps issue. I have now downgraded to (22.3.1) until there is a solution. Really hurts my workflow.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Hi all, 

Instead of fixing the broken workaround, we are fixing the reason the workaround was needed in the first place. 

Specifically, in the next version of Premiere, if you use Interpret Footage to change frame rate, then create proxies, Media Encoder will create proxies at the correct frame rate.

The next version of Premiere will be available before the end of August. Before then, using the Speed/Duration option on the media can also be used to change the frame rate for creating a slow

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Just downloaded the update yesterday and the fix seems to be working great. Thanks @Fergus H 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fergus!

Thanks for great service. 

I dont really understand the panel automate, how do I find the panel and how to use it? 

//Lars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fergus,

where is the panel and how can I use it?

Greetings

Maik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said above:

"The next step is for me to meet (already scheduled) with a couple of customers from this thread to review the panel, its instructionss, and to make sure we haven't missed anything. Once that is done, I will post another follow-up here about how to get the panel."

It's not ready yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All, 
I have not year heard back from the customers in this thread who I provided the panel to. I've reminded them again to provide feedback, if possible. If I don't hear back from them soon, I will make another post here with instructions on how to request the panel described above. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fergus Hammond I would love to try the Panel if possible, and would be happy to provide feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fergus any updates on this at all? Would reallly love to have the ability to create the proxies again for 120fps footage 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fergus, thanks again for helping the Adobe community by taking this task on. Hopefully you're getting helpful cooperation from those you chose to test the proxy panel.

I could provide you timely and responsive feedback if you still need someone to test it. You can reach me here or email me directly. Again, thanks for your hard work and hope you're surviving the heat.

Best,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a bug:
This is user to user forum where we users help each other. The Adobe engeneers do not always read everything here. If you feel strongly about a (new)feature or (bug) fix please post it on uservoice, as it will be read by the engeneers.
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need for anyone to post on the UserVoice forum. As you can see in the thread above, we are already well aware of the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates? I have 2 weeks of rushes that I need to get through and proxy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I've been having major crashes with Media Encoder since the new updates; with Sony F5 and Fx6 footage to Pro Res 422 Proxy 1280x720. I can't get through a whole card without it crashing. I'm using a Macbook Pro M1 Max fully specd. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Fergus how is there no fix for the graying out of the interpret footage in media encoder yet? This issue is now going on for 2 months and as someone who heavily relies on proxiers on 120fps footage it is a major problem. 

can we have an update today please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

As a parrallel discussion of this issue, what was Adobe's recommended strategy for proxy-ing and working with videos of multiple framerates in the same timeline in the past?

We have been using this workflow as outlined by many youtubers (video link at end):

1. Import to Pr project
  2. Interpret non-conformed (i..e. 60fps) files to sequence framterate (i.e. 24p) in Pr
  3. Initiate Me proxy generation job via Pr project window (potentially using a preset with a watermark) 
  4. Me queue auto-starts
  5. Interrupt (Stop) Me queue and cancel first file
  6. Open file location of first file and delete incomplete proxy
  7. Reset status of first proxy task in queue
  8. Select All tasks
  9. Interpret footage in Me to sequence framerate (24p)
  10. Run Me
  11. Proxies are auto-attached back in Pr after completion

If this was not the intended way to create proxies for mixed framerates and conform the videos to, for example, a 24p timeline, maybe we are using the tools wrong and instead need clarification on how best to accomplish the task the way the software was designed. 

Is there a simpler or faster way Adobe intended for this process to happen (when using mixed framerates in one video file)?

Thank you!

Tutorial video circa 2018 that I, and I'm sure countless others from the 1M views, have been referencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b8VtZX62XA&list=PL31Ddw76ghr6FZygUempo82qAHbgXPWJb&index=6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update on this? I noticed nothing changed with the June 24th update. Same issue happening on our mac and our PC with the latest version. Any update on the panel. My workaround is to having to drag all the clips to the ME then choosing the preset and then hoping that Premiere will attach them. PC usually has no issues but the mac wont do it automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. The proxy process is so frustrating. This only adds to the mess. 

I'm tired of paying so much money for such clunky software. Once I'm done with this project I'm dropping Adobe and switching to Davinci. $600 a year is absolutely insane for a suite of products that constantly bug out.

Sorry for the rant, lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of frustrated Premiere Users (what I refer to regularly as the buggiest piece of software that I own).  This latest update that greys out the Interpret Footage option in Media encoder is just ridiculous.  Users have been posting about this since May and its still not fixed in mid July.  I rely on this feature daily.  If I wasn't so invested in Premiere, I would totally jump ship to Davinci, but don't have time for the learning curve at the moment.  I believe a good number if not a majority of Premiere users are in the same boat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Premiere seems to be far more buggy than every other CC application, I don't understand why it doesn't get more love and work better? I regularly have unexplained render errors which crash me out, I've had Adobe Tech Support login to my machine and they couldn't resolve it, they even suggested I just worked in Software Only mode for GPU, and I explained this would mean not using my Vega II GPU, which is a pretty astonishing thing for a tech person to try to suggest.

I've been considering starting a Change petition to Adobe for all users to register with Adobe how dissatisfied they are, and how strongly they are considering moving to Resolve, perhaps with the numbers laid bare in front of them, Adobe might actually give Premiere the attention it deserves, rather than lose the video editing masses like FCP7 once did to Premiere.

Who'd sign?

Thanks

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the update on this?! This is extemely frustrating! Davinci, here I come!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work around is surprisingly simple yet for some reason Adobe have explained it to no one. The old work around for interpreting footage in media encoder WAS because the premiere file wouldnt match the speed correctly. 

instead of slowing down your imported high frame fate footage with modify/ interpret footage in premiere, just label your different speed footage and then create proxies as it is. MAKE SURE the low resolution proxies you make are in the matching codec to the original footage (I.e. h.264) 

then adjust 60fps in Speed / Duration to 40% and 120fps to 20% and you should be good. 👍🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems super choppy during playback (pre-export) when we do it this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a tutorial on how to work around the work around that no longer works ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It's actually much easier that way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Instead of fixing the broken workaround, we are fixing the reason the workaround was needed in the first place. 

Specifically, in the next version of Premiere, if you use Interpret Footage to change frame rate, then create proxies, Media Encoder will create proxies at the correct frame rate.

The next version of Premiere will be available before the end of August. Before then, using the Speed/Duration option on the media can also be used to change the frame rate for creating a slow motion effect. It does exactly the same thing 'though in a slightly different way.

Speed/Duration takes more work to use if you have clips with multiple frame rates and you'd like to change them all to the same frame rate. For example, you've got some 60 fps footage, some at 120 fps, and you'd like to make it all 24 fps. 

I do this in two ways. First, since Speed/Duration uses percent, I use one of my favorite websites, percentagecalculator.net, to calculate the percentage change I'll need. Second, if the clips of different frame rates are not in separate bins, I'll create a couple of search bins (File > New > Search bin), using Frame Rate as the search option. By doing that, I can select all the clips in a search bin and make the Speed/Duration change. 

I hope this helps and thanks very much for all the feedback. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update and temporary solution!

As always, multiple ways to achieve the same goal, we all just have our preferred methods we learned and want to stick to 😂

Looking forward to the new rev

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fergus, has this been done? I am trying to create proxies from fooatge shot at 100fps and dropped down to 25fps. As your instructions above it is supposed to copy the proxy to 25fps yes? Mine is copying it to 60fps? What is going on???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines