Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Component activate state of another component

Participant ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a checkbox that when clicked should enable a dropdown.  Is this possible in XD?  (I would rather not use another artboard to accomplish this.)

Doug21784293dvss_0-1649185499318.png

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Hi Doug. Unfortunately, what you're trying to do isn't supported in Xd. There's a feature request for it.

If your checkbox and dropdown are close to one another, you can put them both in one main component. So if both elements are components, they will be nested inside the parent component. This parent component will have 2 states - one with the checkbox unchecked and the dropdown invisible, and another with checkbox checked and dropdown visible. You can make it so when the checkbox is clicked

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug21784293dvss,

Thank you for contacting us, Yes, you can try out with the component state interactions, 
1.Create a Component 
2.Add ststaes to it
3. Go to the prototype mode

3.In prototype mode , you will able to see options: Trigger, Action under Action  Type> Destination ,under destination you can select the state.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashwini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ashwini, but the problem I am having is that the checkbox component cannot "see" the dropdown component states or the dropdown component at all for that matter.

I did try putting both components in a group, but this did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug. Unfortunately, what you're trying to do isn't supported in Xd. There's a feature request for it.

If your checkbox and dropdown are close to one another, you can put them both in one main component. So if both elements are components, they will be nested inside the parent component. This parent component will have 2 states - one with the checkbox unchecked and the dropdown invisible, and another with checkbox checked and dropdown visible. You can make it so when the checkbox is clicked, the parent component switches to the state where the checkbox is checked and the dropdown is visible.

One note: When adding triggers to a nested component, you will still not be able to see the parent component's states. To get around that, put the nested component (the checkbox) in a group on it's own. Then add the trigger to the group, and you will be able to see the parent's states.

Of course, this is all considering your both components are relatively close and putting them in another component is a viable option. If they are far away and there's a lot of elements inbetweeen, it might not be practical to do at all.

In case you still can't get it to work, feel free to upload the .xd file somewhere and share the link here, or via PM if it's sensitive, and me or someone else will take a look and help you out with setting it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you K.

This will be awesome feature - do you have any idea when it will be developed?

Being able to keep these components de-coupled would go a long way to reducing the time it takes to put together working prototypes.  This has been one of the most significant challenges I have faced on the project I am currently on.

For now, I'm going to swallow my pride and use another artboard, but if I have some time to play I'll give your solution a try.

Thanks again - appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, no idea. Team seems to be prioritizing things on their own agenda. Those feature requests only serve as some guide for them, as there have been features with thousands of votes for years, that never got addressed.

My thoughts: the new software Adobe's been releasing including Xd is pretty "light" - very simple UI and it feels more like a web app than a 'heavy duty' tool like Photoshop or Illustrator. And despite that it's still inconsistent and there are plenty of issues. Many of the requested features would require a more complex and stable UI, so I would assume they will be postponed for a long time before we see any implementation. I would be happy if they at least address the text engine issues for windows users, and fix all the interface bugs, before releasing anything new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines