• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request-States do not inherit component instance default state modifications

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so the scenario is as follows:

1. You make a button template component, that has a body shape with fill and border, and a text label.
  2. For that component you add a state - let's say Hover, but any state works the same
  3. You make an instance of the component. You adjust the button width and change the button's label (standard component usecase I suppose?)
  4. You test the hover effect: of course the interaction is applied, but the instance adjustments were not inherited in any way for the instance's states - on hover the button's label changes back to the default placeholder, and the button auto-animates to the master's size.

I suppose the solution is to apply instance modifications to each of the instance's states separately, but that seems like something the component feature should address rather than require the user to do manually for every element.

The new states feature has been especially disappointing with an ongoing app design, where I already have most of the design system established. It was initially logical to me that I could add a Hover state to the component's master and all the instances, across the artboards in the entire prototype would "simply" inherit it, but alas - I found they only show the master's state on hover. Needed to undo all of that since it basically broke the prototype for any kind of use, and I definietely do not have the time to go instance-by-instance and apply all the component edits again.

Unless I missed something and am doing this wrong.

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Hi All -

Apologies for the inconvenience around the effort required to manually change states in component instances.

We're actively working on addressing this issue so that changes made to the Default State in an instance would propagate to other states within that instance.

Stay Tuned.

Thanks,

Sherif

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't work...

goodbye adobe xd welcome figma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

When is this fix gonna be released?

This thread on uservoice is over two years old now and the feature requested is really important.

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38973007-allow-com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a place to track this fix?  Any dates when it will be implemented? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I am afraid, as of now we don't have a time frame by when this feature would be available. I'd request you to stay tuned to this UserVoice Request: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38973007-allow-com...

Regards
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh. That really isnt good enough. Unacceptable, really. This is NOT a "new feature" as you Adobes continue to claim. It is a bug going all the way back to the introduction of Components. As a bug, you should prioritize fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really can't understand how this has not been fixed yet. 

It's a really big lost of time and lost of flexibility and agility. 

I don't event think the controller pad feature was so urgent regarding to this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There needs to be a way to choose whether to do it or not. All of my states are correct EXCEPT for the default, because I like my states to all be named properly, and you can't rename the Default state. So now any changes I make to the default end up dropping random elements onto my other states, which is quite annoying. Can't there just be a toggle or checkbox or something "Apply changes to all states"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have been actively working on this since 2019. Should be fixed soon. Just hold tight. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have been actively working on this since 2019. Should be fixed soon. Just hold tight. 

By @Timothy5DEE

What part of "They have been actively working on this since 2019" is supposed to bring me comfort? 🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An incredible amount of time wasted on changing the text in every state because of this... deeply disappointed about this not being considered an urgent bug to fix. It has been out for a while now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how long will this take again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check back here after the second coming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, please fix this. This issue has crippled my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should never have released components like this in the first place. Haven't fixed yet? Inexcusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is simply a disgrace. I'd understand it if it affected more complicated components (still as a bug). But a BUTTON??

That's the most basic component you should have tested thouroughly but obviously didn't. A BUTTON! You CAN'T CREATE A PROPER COMPONENT FOR A **BUTTON**. If this is a sign of what's to come from Adobe, then I'm seriously considering finding alternatives for my team. If you guys at Adobe read this and don't see how absurd your replies on this thread are then there is no fix for you. FORGET silly features like the ability to play an audio file or voice commands. MAKE SURE THE BASICS WORK PROPERLY first. Sheesh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar issue today where I want to have an image zoom hover state (issue link: https://xd.adobe.com/view/feeeafea-fcdf-47b2-6427-a61245799ec1-88df/). When the default state is changed, I still need to change the hover state. Please fix this issue. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping Adobe is putting all their efforts into fixing components.. its too unreliable now. Nested components are very buggy..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We understand your frustration and our team is actively working on this feature. I would request you to please submit your feedback here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38973007-allow-com... and upvote the request to add your voice.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This means I just simply can't have a functional and interactive design system. So now I have to delete all my components states because when I interact with them it is absolutely ugly. This should not be a feature but a bug fix. What it the point of having a library of components with different states if you can't interact with them? It prevents me to do a good job in my company. This issue has been highlighted for a long time now and you can't even give us a proper time frame to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They marked it as "Under Review" a couple of weeks ago. There wasn't even any official acknowledgment about it until then, and nobody from the development team commented on it.

I have been waiting for updates on this eversince the whole component states thing was released back in november, as this is my single biggest issue with Xd. For someone designing primarily for Web this is a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, some of the "Under Review" features (and I agree it's not even a feature) have been with that status for 2-3 years now, and with a lot more upvotes as well. So yeah, we can only hope and prey they decide to do something about it in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I waited for a long time for a fix to this problem (since december 2019), but the wait has been too long and the design system I was building for my startup was impractical. The only way I found to solve was switching to Figma. I think this is a pity because I'm a huge fan of Adobe and still use other applications, but I think XD is not ready for a more complex use with design systems yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you find Figma's approach with replacing the whole component with another one to simulate a hover equally annoying?

Maybe I misunderstood something when I was looking into it, but I figured it wasn't much of an improvement in that scenario in particular.

I think all of these tools miss the mark when it comes to styling and states. If they just mirrored the CSS approach, like attaching a set of properties like a css class to a component, that would make much more sense.

Also having the triggers on one component change the state of another, which is also a requested feature on uservoice, but unlikely one we will get soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I found it a little bit annoying but as this is not a bug, it's really a way to use components you get used to and it comes into your workflow in a predictable way. The major cons with this in Figma are that your components library gets bigger and you have more screens in your ptototype, but working with atomic design approach the reliability in Figma to manage many components and nested ones are compensating hugely at this moment. Also, if you use the right organization, Figma recognizes the "states" and you can switch the instances in 2 clicks in the right panel. And frankly, in the main library in XD I always placed the different states of components side by side to show the developer, so it's not that different for me.

Anyway, I think experiment different tools is always the best way to feel for yourself all the pros and cons.

The CSS approach with classes is a really good idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the insight, I've used Figma before and I've been looking at other tools like Webflow, Lunacy, Invision. I use Xd mostly because I'm already using CC and it works nicely with Illustrator (most of the time).

It's a shame, Xd could've blown everything out of the water if they just spent a little extra time on polishing and thinking things through instead of rushing and releasing half-baked features. My CC sub is until November, so unless they fix this issue, I'll be moving on to more efficient tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

on the link you provided it says feature under review. What does it mean exactly?

Once the "feature" will be tagged as "feature started" how long will this last for?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines