• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request-States do not inherit component instance default state modifications

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so the scenario is as follows:

1. You make a button template component, that has a body shape with fill and border, and a text label.
  2. For that component you add a state - let's say Hover, but any state works the same
  3. You make an instance of the component. You adjust the button width and change the button's label (standard component usecase I suppose?)
  4. You test the hover effect: of course the interaction is applied, but the instance adjustments were not inherited in any way for the instance's states - on hover the button's label changes back to the default placeholder, and the button auto-animates to the master's size.

I suppose the solution is to apply instance modifications to each of the instance's states separately, but that seems like something the component feature should address rather than require the user to do manually for every element.

The new states feature has been especially disappointing with an ongoing app design, where I already have most of the design system established. It was initially logical to me that I could add a Hover state to the component's master and all the instances, across the artboards in the entire prototype would "simply" inherit it, but alas - I found they only show the master's state on hover. Needed to undo all of that since it basically broke the prototype for any kind of use, and I definietely do not have the time to go instance-by-instance and apply all the component edits again.

Unless I missed something and am doing this wrong.

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Hi All -

Apologies for the inconvenience around the effort required to manually change states in component instances.

We're actively working on addressing this issue so that changes made to the Default State in an instance would propagate to other states within that instance.

Stay Tuned.

Thanks,

Sherif

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nitish,

We're so sorry for the delay. I am afaraid, as of now, we don't have a time frame by when this would be available however I understand your concern so I'll share your feedback with the Engineering team.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then this issue is NOT resolved. Please mark OP's post as open or not resolved. Just because an Adobe member answered it over a year ago doesn't  mean it's solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am floored that TWO years later, there is no fix for this and Adobe has the guts to mark is as resolved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe,
This issue opened in 2019. We are in Dec 2021. 
In my Component , if I change the for example Text in default state, my expectation is that all states will change as well (Hover at least).
 😒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi amir_alon,

We understand your frustration. There is a similar request raised here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/38973007-allow-com... and the status of the request is "Under Review"

The team is working on this feature. We would request you to please upvote the request and stay tuned to the uservoice page for future updates.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team has been working on this feature for years, under review for years. and the exact same answer you just write... for years. A lot of updates and implementations has been made to the app, but this tiny little think keep me working my projects on Figma. 

Of course I would like to use Adobe XD since all the other apps I use are from Adobe. 

I understand development it's not easy... but it's also not true that Adobe it's prioritizing the users on this one.  because so many other things in Uservoice has been moved to backlog, started... but this one? just keep on review forever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comic gold. People who need to get things done moved to Figma long ago. I stay subscribed to this thread simply to see how long this issue will play on. If we're still getting these emails in a few years, someone should write a Medium article on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big 👍 --

Amir Alon
UX/UI Designer
<Personal Info Removed By Moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

This is a very time consuming issue. When can we expect an update on this 'feature'?

Kind Regards,

Celestine Fisser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus, I'm supposed to manage over 150 icons in a design system. and that grows exponentially as I'm providing my designers with various icon weights and color options via component states. This is such a great library feature. I can only imagine when it comes time for myself to build atoms, molecules, etc. how well this adobe "Design Library" will actually function. I'm SOL as I've been hitting the 20,000 layer warning, and I'm barely scraping the surface on product icons.

= /

I can't believe in March 2022 this madness is fostered – AND FOR OVER A YEAR AND HALF. I'm going to have to work with my stakeholders to let them know, This "Bug" or lack of a feature is going to cost so many hours. Right now I'm drawing each icon at 34, 24, 16, and 12 pixels. X's 6 variations = 3 black, and 3 white of each stroke at 1, 2, and 3 pixels. That equates to 24 states, four components for ONE icon. I literally cannot believe that each of these 24 states needs to be hand modified. I need a batch capacity to produce icons at 4 sizes, 6 states, and to maintain integrity back to the main componenet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just switch to Figma or another tool. XD is dead at least for 2 years… it’s a hard pill to swallow but you need to accept it at some point. In our company all 30+ designers abandoned XD…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well friends, it's official. My team and I are moving off XD to Figma. I prefer Sketch and AxureRP but so far Figma has been a very smooth transition from XD. 

My reasoning comes down to the fact that I am sick of googling "how do I do __ in XD" and finding out that it's only a Feature REQUEST instead of a real feature. For almost everything I google! This product never should have been released in its current state. You can't just release an unfinished product and then spend the next decade actually building it.

Figma seems to be a common tool for teams these days and a lot of the 3rd parties we work with are using it. Very collaborative and smooth so far. Eff you XD, you made my life h*ll for years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such an obvious requirement. I'm tasked with evaluating Adobe XD for a team of 30 designers 7 developers. This is a deal breaker, looking at Figma next

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... Don't do it. Run as fast as you can. Figma has been great for our teams! It's not quite as robust as Sketch or Axure but it's been smooth so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing much to evaluate. Figma is the best tool out there. XD is pretty much dead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How hasn't this feature been implemented already? Have they lost their minds? They implemented voice interaction but not this? Seriously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having to work in XD right now and this issue makes building navigation and buttons excruciating. I can't belive this has not been addressed or even went out the door in the first place with text changes not inherited in component states. Shameful for such a prominent issue to still not be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

Today, we’re announcing that Figma has entered into an agreement to be acquired by Adobe. This has been in the works over the past few months and I’m so excited to finally share this news with the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using XD after years of Figma (change of workplace), and I can honestly say that XD has such a slow workflow compared to Figma. This issue with non-propogating changes is just one of the things that baffles me that its not resolved yet. Adobe was made aware of this 3 years ago, and nothing has been done to fix it. It makes even simple prototyping an agony. 

Can adobe give an honest answer if this bug fix is coming, OR will adobe subscribers in the foreseable future be able to use Figma on CC subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is from 2019, it's 2023 and despite the comment "We're actively working on addressing this issue so that changes made to the Default State in an instance would propagate to other states within that instance." this hasn't been addressed while loads of pointless new functionality has been added.

The question is why? Why such contempt for your users? Why such flawed software release after release?

Adobe are you in complete denial regarding the quality of your software. I'm sure you know this, but if XD wasn't bundled with the rest of CC NO ONE would use it. FACT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I could upvote this topic 1000 times I would. This has been a major annoyance and time waster for years. SOOO many hours could be saved by implementing this change. Adobe! Please! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines