• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I publish an Adobe XD project to the web?

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a bit confused with choosing the right product and of course justifying the annual cost. Muse it seems is on its way out, so is Dreamweaver the only option? I can get Muse if I google it but it does not feature in the Adobe list of products or under subscriptions. I found XD quite easy to use to build a site but now I am stuck on how to publish it. Please help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

You will have to use Dreamweaver to convert your design in Adobe XD to a website. Adobe XD is a prototyping tool which allows you to create your initial design without code. After your design is ready, you will have to export your assets and recreate your design in an HTML editor.

Adobe Muse is no longer being developed or sold by Adobe. It will continue to be supported for its existing user base until March 2020.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer my question about my iPhone keeping the Adobe XD file opened, after doing a force quite I now see that Adobe opens the Adobe XD app in the Clud Documents folder, allowing me to choose from the different uploaded Adobe XD files. 🙂

However, I am unable to close it. I see a function that states I have to use a UBS cable to connect my iPhone to my Mac. Perhaps this is problem. I will follow these directions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Yes generally once the prototype is handed to developers they start coding and doing what ever it is they need to do to create a working app/webpage.
Yes you could use XD to create the design of themes, but it would take more to implement them into the CMS.
Yes Adobe XD has an export to PDF option.

Your second post suggests you've answered this one for yourself. Yes the mobile device app is for viewing only.
You could use Adobe XD to design the concept for anything, but it's not necessarily the best solution for all.
If you're designing print layouts you could use XD but it might be just as quick to go straight into InDesign.
You could design concepts for Captivate and Animate, but if you're building them yourself again it might be quicker to go straight into those apps. It could definitely be helpful if you had to send designs and concepts off to others to build in those apps though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does normally follow after XD? What does one have to do to get a website, is there a proper way?

Thanks in advance,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you looking to publish?

You can share the prototype via an icon in the upper right. The same for the Design Specs as well.

Otherwise, you can export the assets to your computer and then hand it over to a developer to build your item.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not know but webdsigner don`t want to share - we want to publish, that´s why I asked. So even as a webcoder, I need to see in some way the data and the colour and pixel dimensions, where does a web programmer find these datas? Now two kind of people need to learn a new app to get a website to run? As far as I experienced with Muse and Pinegrow I do now use the plugin "web export" which is free so far, and from that generated html one can proceed in any code editor. At least  Pinegrow works with it but Dw and all the others out there might work, too. Sharing doesn`t solve the problem and like this, at least in my opinion the answer is not correct. Sharing is like sending an E-Mail to get a job done, the job does not get done.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Uwe,

To answer precisely XD is just an interface designer.

Like previously we used Photoshop for designing and wireframing our (website, phone apps, application interfaces etc.) and later share the design with a developer so he can code the same design.

Now we have created an app called XD where you can create your static web designs, and also show how it will interact with the end users.

The design which is finalized by the client can be later shared with a developer and he will put them into codes.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris W. Griffith​ ,

thanks for the answer.

Hi ankushr40215001​, you know why I ask, don`t you?

Thanks for pointing this out.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create a static web design without the means to directly export it into code seems like an unfinished app to me. As an independent graphic designer of many different mediums with only minimum knowledge of actual web code, the last thing I want to do is increase my cost of a project by requiring a developer? I certainly hope Adobe does not plan to leave it's Creative Cloud members without the means to complete a project independently that it can deliver to it's clients. Otherwise, what's the point of paying for the software every month if it doesn't do everything I need it to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeddd. I am in the same situation as you.

In addition I would like that someone tell me what is the most recommended software to be able to code my designs after having finished and publish them? Preferably a software where you can get almost the same functions like Muse continues offering (Publish-button), maybe one that can just import the new XD-Design.

Ideal would be a software that requires little learning time. I do not know if the “Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2018.app“ or “Adobe Flash Builder 4.7.app“ its useful to publish my .xd design.

Could someone here please inform me exactly how to proceed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ankush, could you please explain as to how can I publish a website designed in XD? Now that Muse is on its way out, is Dreamweaver the only option? I am a bit confused on how to go about it. I do not want to subscribe to something that I am not even sure about. Muse no longer features in the list of products on Adobe websites or subscriptions however when you google it, a download and 7 day trial link is still available, what does this mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xd will export the visual assets that can be used in building a website. The HTML coding, CSS authoring and probably JavaScript coding are still left to you to complete. Dreamweaver would be the tool to do those tasks in. However, it is not a drag-and-drop tool. like Muse was.

XD just allows you to visually design the site but does not tell you how to build the site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so confused? Whats the point of XD if you unable to publish to the web? I can't use it as a Wp or a landing page on my personal website. So.. outside of just playing design boy, whats the use. I can't add hyperlinks, can't imbed and products, or direct clients to other websites..

I wish Adobe would have made that clear. I just spent the night learning and making a page/ site for our fire department that will go to the trash... and I won't get any of my time back.

Crap Adobe.. be clear in the future.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD is really a ridiculous product. I have spent hours to understand how it works till the point where I learned that the XD project cannot be published as a Web Site......

Previously used Adobe Portfolio extremely powerful but somewhat limited. For this reason I tried with XD in order to have more flexibility.

My suggestion for Adobe would be to think of a new "XD Portfolio" which would packing the two already existing apps into one single and complete product

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely! When XD was first released I was so excited! I ended up designing a fully functional app for my business only to learn that there was no way to actually use it. Weeks of work wasted! Needless to say, but I haven't used XD since. I've not removed it though--probably holding out hope that Adobe will finally realize XD's potential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're wanting XD to be Wix or Wordpress for applications. XD is a way for you to express your ideas to potential investors or to fully design your app and then hand the assets to a developer. They'll create the final product for you and it will likely be an independent (not a child of Wix), high quality app. I'm using it to show clients what the final product will look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As mentioned by Grant, you can design an interactive layout in Adobe XD and then handover the design layout to the developer to code it for you. Having said that, I understand that there is always a scope of improvement so we did receive some similar requests so that we can export designs to HTML and other coding languages. I would request you to please upvote this request: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/13057005-export-wh...

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD is specifically a prototyping tool. It's useful for planning out bigger projects where there's a lot of back and forth and your client wants to have a lot of say over how things look, work and feel. And it's also to protect you as a designer. Say you built a bunch of designs in Photoshop but the client lacks the imagination or web understanding to picture it in action, even if you've designed all the different pages and such. With XD you can bring those designs to life in an interactive manner and export a working prototype.

Although I agree it does seem like it shouldn't necessarily be another standalone program. Perhaps all web programs should be combined in some way, such as Dreamweaver and XD. But programming currently is too difficult to fully automate, especially since responsive design became the norm. It's even often a pain in the arse for fulltime front-end developers, let alone for some automated tool that often pump out horrible code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, interesting. I'm confused; why is the developer a "he"? That's a really strange way to say something in these forward-thinking times. You must be really old or perhaps unappreciative of females being fully capable developers. I gather that you lead the rest of your life making foolish assumptions as well.

I can't imagine what your parents must think of you. Do you disrespect the other women close to you, too? Is your father responsible for teaching you these "traditional values"?

You should be ashamed of yourself, Ankush. I'm disappointed in you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback. This will help us firm up our training programs. I apologize on behalf of the responder for the post.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you didn't realize it, but in traditional English usage, the pronoun "he" properly refers to an indefinite person of any gender. It is possible that Ankush was taught to write English with those rules of grammar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes. Triggered much?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi XD - Users

I would like that someone tell me what is the most recommended software to be able to code my designs after having finished and publish them? Preferably a software where you can get almost the same functions like Muse continues offering (Publish-button), maybe one that can just import the new XD-Design.

Ideal would be a software that requires little learning time. I do not know if the “Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2018.app“ or “Adobe Flash Builder 4.7.app“ its useful to publish my .xd design.

Could someone here please inform me exactly how to proceed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way would probably be a CMS like Wordpress. You'd still need to learn HTML, CSS and some JS though. Probably some PHP too if you wanted some custom features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh I’ve just eagerly sent some sample XD pages to the developers for them to take a look at. I hoped XD would be the designer/developer interface I was needing, but it doesn’t go far enough. Is Muse obsolete now? Could XD, Muse and Dreamweaver all work together as photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator do, then we would have awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing some misplaced confusion about the purpose of XD and Id like to chime in, using my situation as an example:

I am in the final stages of designing a board game but, after a very costly pipeline of custom art and game design, there is not enough left in the tank to fund a companion app to accompany the game which has become quite popular.  However, raising more capital for something that might seem unnecessary to some can be difficult.  "Investors" have already seen the art, they've seen the game.... how then, do you explain in words or using the static images they've already experienced, the value of such a tool?  In steps XD.  I design a fully functional application, wired to perfection in every way that matters.  Game testers and investors can now physically experience the game companion app in real time and this gives the prototype life and helps build excitement about your design.  When used in the proper context, XD can push a prototype into production.  It lets you turn words into action at little to no cost.  Now, if people don't like the app its because they didn't like the app, not because they didn't understand my idea.  And I haven't spent a fortune on developers to find that out.

This is, of course, my own story here but maybe this would apply to others.  The creative cloud membership gets a bad rap sometimes because people want a certain tool to do a certain thing because they need that certain thing done, and if you were paying monthly for that one tool, I think that would be valid but, for me, its the power of having so many tools to work with that is the real value. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines