• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a timer that runs across multiple artboards in the background in XD?

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am creating a mobile app game for a project of mine. The game itself is almost complete, it's just missing one thing, a timer. I know how to create timers for one artboard. But, how do I create a timer than runs across multiple artboards, in the background of the game?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Design , How to , Plug-ins , Product performance , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Hi there, Justin. I assume you want to set a timer that will run for X seconds, meanwhile you go between artboards, and then whatever artboard you are on it activates when it runs out and goes to "Game Over" or something. Unfortunately, right now Xd isn't capable of doing that. Whatever transitions or timers you have are reset when you change artboards. You can put in a feature request on uservoice though.

If you just use one artboard, and then use component states for the functionality, this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two options to prototype.

1. First is the component to new arbord whit auto animate and SECOND arbord to arbord WITH timer. Timer whit activity only to prototype two or more arbord together. Here share link. https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/create-timed-transitions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Justin. I assume you want to set a timer that will run for X seconds, meanwhile you go between artboards, and then whatever artboard you are on it activates when it runs out and goes to "Game Over" or something. Unfortunately, right now Xd isn't capable of doing that. Whatever transitions or timers you have are reset when you change artboards. You can put in a feature request on uservoice though.

If you just use one artboard, and then use component states for the functionality, this is possible, but quite impractical depending on the elements you have there. That's with the limitation that you shouldn't be doing anything in the exact moment the timer activates. Xd can't do 2 interactions at the same time, and if you try to activate another one when the Time runs out, it blocks it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Yes, my goal was what you described, only my timer would count up while I navigate between multiple different artboards. I will definitely put in a feature request. Thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines