Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Adobe XD available as free version?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have been using the Adobe XD licensed version so far. In the process of changing the design tool, we couldn't find clarity on a few below-pointers to make an informed decision:

1. Will it be available to use as a free version? 
  2. If yes, are all features including cloud collaboration, multiple exports, etc. available in the free version?
  3.  Since Adobe XD has been discontinued and is not available in Adobe Suite. Will it be available to download from any other source?

Thanks,

Anupam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except for Brackets Adobe never open sourced their design software. Freehand users tried, and Adobe refused.

In my opinion XD will vanish silently. It already did from the CC lineup, right? Adobe will not open source it and even if a free version were to be made available, XD is so dependent on a server environment for collaboration and stuff, those things are impossible to keep running for them: too expensive server costs.

That means Adobe must create a stand-alone desktop version without collab... and what use would that be for any team or designer? And Adobe doesn't want to invest any more money in this money pit. The developer team is disbanded anyway.

No, XD is dead, done, and over with. Adobe is only interested in owning a market segment and their last-ditch attempt to acquire Figma was thwarted. So they have lost interest in XD. Bye bye XD.

Switch to something else. If you want a free self-hosted open source good alternative, check out Penpot. Or switch to Figma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe XD is no longer available for purchase as a single application but will continue to be supported for existing users. XD will continue to be available as part of our Adobe Creative Cloud All Apps subscription. We will continue to support existing Adobe XD customers.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, So what I understand is that Adobe xd will be closed permanently this year. I have been using the software for 7 years. How am I going to open my files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to say the "show ain't over til the fat lady sings".  Horrible and a very un-PC statement but these are trying and stressful times for us AdobeXD diehards. I don't think we can answer this today but maybe soon.

They say it's in maintenance mode but that is up to Adobe what they decide to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had hoped with the merger, an official conversion tool would be released. Many, many of us are faced with that problem. I suspect that might be why XD lives in maintaince mode, simply to open legacy work. I know of two solutions:

1) Manually copy from XD to another program

2) If moving to Figma there is a paid plug-in that will convert your files. I have not used it, so I can say how well it does its job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Chris W. Griffith ,
what's the name of the plugin? And is ist for XD or for Figma?
Do you have any experience if it is worth the money?
Thanks a lot

Lars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://magicul.io/converter/xd-to-figma

Haven't tried it yet, but I got 1,000+ XD to migrate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot, i'll give it a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris W. Griffith 

We have tried it, and it works but doesn't convert as a sanitized design. It will have a lot of design padding, margin, font size, and layer structure issues. It can be helpful for design elements conversion but would require fixing if the organized file with no layout issue is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest reason I use AdobeXD is because I can copy and paste straight a design straight out of Illustrator and XD will stil retain limited editing capaibility in XD which speeds up my website wireframing workflow significantly. Does Figma also do this or have a plguin that can understand what to do with a illustrator copied selection directly into Figma?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can copy a vector in AI and paste it in Figma as vector

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lewisl28315964where did you see XD will be closed permanently? Is that a real notification?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an article on Bloomberg.com that quoted an unnamed Adobe spokesperson.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Rishabh_Tiwari 

Please help me understand. We currently have 25 licenses of Adobe XD on our team.

1. Do we need to continue to subscribe to Adobe XD?
  2. Since we no longer require cloud features on Adobe. Can XD be used as free software for existing users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anupam25516887ot3nI can answer those questions for you.

(1) : yes, you will have to continue to subscribe to maintain access to XD, even if XD is no longer developed and you do not use any other CC app. It is the same situation with Fireworks and Dreamweaver.

That is the current situation and I do not expect that to change.

(2): see (1). No. XD only works when you subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud and are logged in as a CC user. There is no free version.

When I log out of my Creative Cloud account, I cannot use XD or any of the other Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines