• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select which artboard shows in the open XD file dialog box

Participant ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening an XD file, the open dialog window shows a thumbnail of the artboards. I assume the thumbnail selected is the first artboard (top left of the page) but I'd like to know if there's a way to select another arboard without placing it on the top left of the page? Does the numbering them work? Does naming them alphabetically work? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Hi, unfortunately it is not possible to change the artboard in the preview through other systems. The only way is to place the artboard on the top left.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Hi Cy233,

thanks for your reply.

The problem occurs when you mark an artboard as the HOME artboard (icon with the house) in prototype mode and not if an artboard is renamed to "Home". The problem also persists when I save the file locally.

Here you can see the behavior:

No HOME set in prototype mode:

NO home setNO home set

Top left artboard is shown in preview => correctCorrect Preview of top left artboardCorrect Preview of top left artboard

Artboard "Screen – 1" is marked as HOME (the blue icon with the house)

Prototype HOME setPrototype HOME set

The HOME-Artboar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, unfortunately it is not possible to change the artboard in the preview through other systems. The only way is to place the artboard on the top left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for your reply, italosan.Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have noticed that placing the artboard on the top left does not work if another artboard is marked as prototype "Home". Unchecking the "Home" state of the artboard and saving the file again, shows up the correct preview image of the artboard in the left top corner. It would be great, if an artboard could be marked as the "preview artboard". 🙂

Thx

preview-thumbnailspreview-thumbnails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gustav. It still seems to show the top left thumbnail even when I rename another artboard "Home" on the prototyping tab?  ?  ? Never mind. It might be different with the cloud-based files. That seems to be what you're using. I only use local files. Anyway, it's good to remember about the prototyping side of it. I hadn't thought about that. 

I've decided to make a copy of the artboard I wanted to show in the thumbnail, rename it to 'thumbnail' (or something) and place it at the top left of the page. Now I know exactly what design the file refers to. It's not the best solution but at least I can see what the file is without having to open them all.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cy233,

thanks for your reply.

The problem occurs when you mark an artboard as the HOME artboard (icon with the house) in prototype mode and not if an artboard is renamed to "Home". The problem also persists when I save the file locally.

Here you can see the behavior:

No HOME set in prototype mode:

NO home setNO home set

Top left artboard is shown in preview => correctCorrect Preview of top left artboardCorrect Preview of top left artboard

Artboard "Screen – 1" is marked as HOME (the blue icon with the house)

Prototype HOME setPrototype HOME set

The HOME-Artboard is shown in the preview instead of the the top left one:

HOME Artboard is shown in previewHOME Artboard is shown in preview

Regards,

Gustav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Thanks Gustav. I hadn't been working in prototype mode so I didn't even think of that (the home icon in the prototype mode). I just checked and it works as you said. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is very helpful, thank you! Do you know if there is a way to set a thumbnail for a folder with multiple related projects in it? The automatic image is a grey folder icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines