• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Top menu bar with options ('File', 'Edit' and 'Object') are missing in XD on windows.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently became very interested in Adobe Xd and I just discovered this problem. Mine does not have the bar at the top of the page with the File, Edit, Object View, etc.... This is annoying and is very hard to work without. It is also hard to work with tutorials on projects. I noticed this in a youtube video on how to do something. Here is a screenshot from my computer:

XD 1.JPG

Here is a screen capture fro youtube:

XD 2.JPG

I don't know if this has to do with it being in Beta stage or windows vs. mac, but this is highly annoying.

Thanks,

H.

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 154 Replies 154
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pure trash. I can't even turn on the guides or the rulers or anything from this new menu bar. Basically unless you know the shortcuts for everything there is no way to do simple things anymore. The best part is that i can't even access settings to looks those shortcuts up or change them or do anything really. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where is the edit, undo redo and all of the other top level menu items from all of the other adobe apps on winodws?! stop blaming windows crappy UWP for your lazy, incompentant software developers. JUST add the option to use this with a tradiotnal UX, you knwo the same top menu UX that still works in all of your other adobe apps on windows 10?  ALSO fix it so it doesnt crash all of the time on windows 10 and so that text editing / entering a contextual menu doesnt bugg out 70% the time. THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but it's a bad design. Can you please suggest if there is any way to get back those top menu bar, if yes, how?

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid Adobe is keen on following the new Windows paradigm,

though you won't hear me applaud that idea or their current execution !

One general idea of UWP is to get rid of the application window and menus, and let software appear more like apps on mobile devices. So you're entering and working in document views and leaving states, which are automatically retained and saved in cloud-based documents. That's also why there's no Close command in the menu on Windows, and why (according to Windows and Adobe) you shouldn't bother about saving files. In a perfect world, this might work.

And in a not-so-perfect world, internet access isn't always available or as stable, so files are unavailable or get corrupted, authentication goes astray, and work is lost. And when a cloud-based file is closed (by hitting X), it doesn't retain its Undo and I'm stuck with a version which isn't always what I'd like to keep. These are just a few of the problems I've run into with UWP on Windows and cloud-based files (on Mac as well).

Usage on mobile devices is often restricted to quick and dirty tasks. For the real power-lifting and handling multiple projects, I want to be able to know the exact where-abouts and saved states of my files, and have the guarantee that no work will be lost. That's something Adobe XD doesn't deliver, yet. And the need for doing heavy-duty work, is something which isn't distinguished and facilitated enough in most of these 'hybrid' tools and environments. Once they start to grow and users are getting more more demanding, many of these quick and dirty mobile paradigms break...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the dumbest interface change I have ever seen. Just takes functionality away. Remember this is a B2B!!!! service. I need tools!!!! This isn't a B2C UI decision. This just adds further confusion. AWFUL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry for the inconvenience. I understand how frustrating it could be. I will share this feedback with the engineering team and you can do that too by upvoting this request: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/18478660-full-feat...

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY CANT U MAKE 2 DIFFERENT VERSIONS/KEEP ALLOW 2 OPTIONS WITH MENU & TOUCH FRIENDLY. WHY IN THE NAME OF TOUCH FRIENDLY U R ABANDONING/UNFRIENDING UR TRADITIONAL USERS. IF THERE WAS A DAY & AGE WHERE ALL DEVICES WERE INITIALLY TOUCH FRIENDLY, THEN U MIGHT HAVE ADDED THE MENU BAR TO MAKE IT MORE ACCESSIBLE TO TRADITIONAL USERS TO MAKE IT MORE USER FRIENDLY. CHANGE TAKES TIME, U NEED TO BE ABLE TO TRANSITION TO IT RATHER THAN ABRUPTLY DISALLOW SOMETHING WHERE THE WORLD HAS SO MANY MOUSE USERS EVEN WHEN WITH TOUCH. SO THE BEST COULD BE TO KEEP BOTH, ITS NOT ASKING FOR SOMETHING NEW RATHER USING THE PAST ONE SO IT MUSTNT BE DIFFICULT TO KEEP BOTH OPTIONS PROBABLY IN DIFFERENT WORK MODES LIKE e.g. Essentials Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Options like file objects edits plugins and etc that which is supposed to be appear at the top of the page is niot available for my use.

can someone help me out with this

{Renamed By MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. The top menu options of File, Edit, Object, View, Window, and Help are only available on macOS. For Windows operating system there is a Hamburger menu on the top left-hand side corner. For more information, you can refer to this similar discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/top-menu-bar-with-options-file-edit-and-object-are-missing-i...

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are those menus only available for mac not for Windows. This is not fair. Is there any reason behind this? we, the window user also need a menu bar. That Hamburger menu only shows the list of file menus. It has not had all the elements under other menu bars have. please consider the issue and rectify it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The top menu is available on Windows version as well. Please make sure you're using the latest version of Xd (45).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS PROGRAM IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO USE ON PC NOW. Adobe, seriously? Ever heard the phrase if it ain't broke then don't fix it? All of your programs have a very similar menu bar layout which makes jumping between the different programs seamless and intuitive. This is by far the worst UI change in any program I have ever seen. Did you guys even bother doing any user testing? I can understand you guys wanting to implement support for Windows UWP experience but to completely jump ship and only have that one layout is just ridiculous. Just because Microsoft has a silly idea (which I imagine will also cause them nothing but grief from their users) to remove the menu bar doesn't mean you guys should too. Hand on my heart if you ever thought about removing the menu bar from Photoshop or Illustrator I'd be canceling my subscription. 

Has anybody figured out where 'edit' and 'object' are? As I have no idea what is going on here. Your 1 place for everything hamburger menu is absolutely useless. Whoever's brain wave this was at Adobe should hang their head in shame. Please provide an option to revert back to a usable, normal, consistent layout. 

Thanks 

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, oddly enough, the hamburger menu contains New Open, Save, etc., ONLY when you start a new design, or when you open something, being by double clicking on a XD file, link, or such.

So, to open a file on your computer, you first have to start a new design, just to access that elusive hamburger menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is the middle of 2020 and you still couldn't add the top menu bar???? shame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've wasted your time, XD became useless on WIN... In hamburger menu missed a lot of function. I was very excited to learn new software, now I'm very disappointed... looking for something better than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So where is objects cant find that option omg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Office still has a top menu bar, in 2020.

Why should I have to click twice to access a menu item, when I could click once?

There is plenty of real-estate at the top that is not being used...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't find the "edit, print, file, object, plugin..etc" in the burger menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Olamide,

We apologize for the frustration. We had a discussion in past regarding this. I would request you to please check the correct answer to this post where Elaine has provided the details about the menu bar.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Five years and this STILL hasn't been fixed? Not all windows users are interested in getting fingerprints all over their screen to use basic features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither the pen or touch are particularly accessible to those with physical impairments - I NEED a menu bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

following microsoft for design ideas? That's rich! Wasn't it one of them who came up with comic sans.  Just saying. Microsoft has not shined brightly since their beginnings.  Most of Windows is awful built on awful.  Layers upon layers. adobe should just stick to their own thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any timeframe for Masking in Windows? The <Ctrl>+<Shift>+M doesn't work and it doesn't show up in the context window. I'm using [Windows] verison 33.1.12.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so sad to see Adobe ignoring the needs of windows users by hiding behind Windows UWP experience. It might be the future, but as of now, 2020 it is a no brainer that not all designers work from what Adobe considers the future unless they have an Apple product. I don't have the time to invest in software that is not user friendly to my operating system. This is another piece of software that has become an Adobe product that has become less than desirable because Adobe refuses to listen to users. Good luck Adobe. I will now, again find another software comapny to serve my design needs. I'm very sad to say this, because I use to be a champion for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not sad,

I'd say it's pathetic.

They're introducing sh*ty features no-one cares about instead of actually looking at what really hurts people. I'm really thinking of switching to something else, pity it's the only alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines