Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to move 3D object forward after resizing in XD

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi XD team,

Love the new 3D feature. However, I'm struggling with one bug. When I try to resize a 3D object, it automatically gets pushed to the back. I tried everything to bring it forward, but nothing works. I tried to copy and paste same element, but it always appears at the back of all elements. In the Layers panel it's always on top, but in artboard it gets hidden behind all other elements. 

Note: This happens only after I modified the 3D transformation. So story goes like this: I insert a 3D object -> Try to rescale it - > All good -> Add any 3D rotation settings -> Try to rescale it -> It gets hidden. 

I'm using the latest XD update on MacBook Pro 2017. 

TOPICS
Design , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Hi tomegan31,

Thank you for your patience. I checked with the team and they informed that the reordering happens because the z coordinate of the shape becomes negative.

Why that happens? Because the z coordinate represents the depth of the center of the shape and if you resize the shape, that center moves up and down on the z axis, which is normal. And a shape with a negative z will be positioned below a shape with with z=0.

To compensate this movement, you can adjust the z coordinate ma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am sorry for the delay in response. I am unable to reproduce the issue at my end on XD 34.1 version. Is it possible for you to create a short video showing your workflow so that we can copy the same workflow and try to reproduce the same? Does that happen with every file or with a specific file?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can we attach a video in the reply? It only allow us to insert a URL Video, not the file itself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fnoka,

Thanks for reaching out. Please upload the video to a shared location such as Creative Cloud or Dropbox and share the URL with us here. It would be really helpful if you can share the OS and XD versions of your machine.

We will try our best to investigate.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://youtu.be/H7JXRe7w5Zc    I still see the problem. This time with an image. When the image is brought into Adobe XD (version 47.0.22), the image needs to be resized first, before 3d is applied. Otherwise, if you try resizing (in my case, making it smaller), the image is sent to back regardless of where it is in the layer stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tomegan31,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the video. I am able to reproduce the issue at my end. I have logged a bug for the issue for further investigation.

We will try our best to investigate.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi tomegan31,

Thank you for your patience. I checked with the team and they informed that the reordering happens because the z coordinate of the shape becomes negative.

Why that happens? Because the z coordinate represents the depth of the center of the shape and if you resize the shape, that center moves up and down on the z axis, which is normal. And a shape with a negative z will be positioned below a shape with with z=0.

To compensate this movement, you can adjust the z coordinate manually from the PI(Property Inspector) after the resize operation. For example we can set it to 0.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this is similar to other softwares like after effects where you can use both 3d and 2d layers. Since rest of the layers are 2d they can be moved to front and back. But a 3d layer has a z axis position value so you will have to change it to bring it to front and back. While doing so since it is coming close to you it will increase in size. So you will have to adjust the size accordingly as well. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @brigitadaisy Did you find a resolution to this?
I'm experiencing something similar. After I apply a 3D transform to an object inside of a group, I cannot place another layer under this one. The 3D transformed image is always hidden underneath, no matter where I position the layers inside of the group. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I just discovered a solution to my issue. If I reset the 3D transform, I can reorder the layers. @brigitadaisy in your case, you might have to scale the object before you apply the 3D transformation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, but if you reset the 3D transformation (resizing), what's 3D transformation for? Because I used 3D transformation to resize the image... so you recommend not resize using 3D? That's too bad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix I found was do the resizing before you apply 3d. If you do 3d first, the image will be sent to back when you try to make it smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for reviving a thread that's been inactive for a month but this issue also caused me some confusion.

In case anybody else has the same issue I had, where my 3d layer was stuck over the top of another layer and couldn't be re-ordered here's what to do:

Select the 'Z' field in the top right (under X and Y) and set it to 0. You can change the number as appropriate to get it in the right order. This is also why resetting the transform worked for OP. Hope this saves someone some time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best answer, and i've been researching for 15min, thanks Givernny !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines