Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Announcement: After Effects 23.0 and Project File Compatibility

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey beta users! 

Starting today (August 1), the After Effects beta will save in project version 23.0. This means that projects saved in the 23.0 beta will not be able to be opened in other versions of After Effects (including the 22.5 public release) without file conversion. 

If you need compatibility with 22.x or before, please follow the instructions below: 

• Moving from v22.x to v23.0 - On opening a project in the 23.0 beta, you will be presented with a message that the project needs to be converted. Simply click “Ok”, and the project will be updated automatically. If you would like to preserve your 22.x version of the project, please be sure to “Save as” the 23.0 project so that you don't need to convert again in the future. 

• Moving from v23.0 to earlier versions of After Effects (I.e. 22.x or below) - Please use the option Save As > Save a copy as v22/v18 to create a project that is compatible with older AE versions. 

We apologize for any inconvenience this causes you!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, wish I had known before I started but glad there is a workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jackthegiantslayer 

It's not a workaround, but a feature that we have not had to use for a while.  

Choose File > Save As to save a copy project as version 22.x or 18.x.

WarrenHeaton_0-1659727435760.png

As indicated in the original post, this creates a project file that is compatible with older versions of After Effects.

I find it helpful to add a "_22" or "_18" in the project filename somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great for Adobe to create a converted or a program to downgrade recent projects into the AE version we want without having to do it in AE. I often download project that are recent, and I can't open them! I'm still on AE 2022 and can't upgrade for computer system reasons..

Can you please make a program for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@valeriet81668044 

A stand alone app that can do project down-coversion is a great idea.  Or maybe a web based solution?  I think it would be very helpful if we could drag and drop an AEP to a web browser window, choose which version we want to be able to open it in, and then download the resulting AEP.  I'm guessing that whatever might prevent someone from being able to install and run the full version of After Effects to do a down-conversion might also prevent them installing and running a stand alone app that does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarely, I have Mac sierra laptop, i can't install new AE version, and do the downgrade....

I would defenitly buy such an app if there was one. that 'd be so much easier

the web thing exist for premiere projects, but you can't go in too older version, it's usally the previous one that's your get.

But yeah for AE, in the first place i don't understand why you can'y open any new project on any old AE version. You can with Photoshop and Illustrator, so why did they block with AE? (and premiere)

I hope Adobe will see this and think of creating something

or someone who can create a script where you can import a recent project and it will convert it in an older AE version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has this funtionality. It's existed for a while, and you used to be able to use built-in tools to convert files to previous versions of after effects and premiere. They removed it, and because they want you to screw off, they also removed the previous versions of the programs, and threatened legal action if you were to try it.
It's a good idea. so Adobe won't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you mean with "they also removed the previous versions of the programs, and threatened legal action if you were to try it" ?

that's sounds really exagerated...pfff 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nubnubbud 

Since After Effects CS5.5 (version 10.5), we have been able to save a copy of an After Effects project file as an older version via File > Save As.  Are you seeing something different?

Save a Copy in After Effects 2023 and After Effects CS5.5Save a Copy in After Effects 2023 and After Effects CS5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah yes, this I know of

but if i'm on sierra mac and try to open a 2023 projet, i can't...that why an external program would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@valeriet81668044 

I totally agree.  A way to downconvert AEPs outside of AE would be great.

Are you on macOS 10.12 Sierra due to it being an older Mac that can't run the newer macOS or are you keeping Sierra running for software compatibility?  I keep a macOS 10.12 boot volume around on a 2013 Mac to be able to open Final Cut Studio 3 now and again, but much less frequently these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that's exactly that, I kept Sierra because of Final cut 6 and Soundtrack Pro which I love (if anyone knows a good replacement beside audition...)

@nubnubbud Yes that's so stupid to block users like that, I don't get it.. what's the point? They are loosing customers doing that
I really wish someone would create a plugin or little program to do it, I'm sure it's not that complicated to fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton the downgrade chain was broken when adobe limited the versions you could downgrade to. the original idea, was that you could always downgrade a version or two from the version you were using, but after adobe removed your ability to get older versions of CC, all compatibility was broken, leaving the program dead in the eyes of hundreds of companies and thousands of editors who could no longer use tools that were removed in newer versions, or fall back to known workflows.

Please tell me how to downgrade my comps from Adobe CC to CS6 like I could in 2013, and I might consider actually paying for a month of the program again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources