• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ and Known Issues for 3D Model Import

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, along with Known Issues in the current build. We will be keeping this page updated.

Last updated: Oct 18, 2022

Model Import

Formats

GLB, GLTF, and OBJ are currently supported. Other formats are possible in the future, please let us know what you need!

Animated models

Currently all models are static inside After Effects. Built-in animation will be supported in the future.

Camera and Lights

Cameras and lights in a 3D model are not currently imported. After Effects cameras and lights work with models in the composition.

Empty 3D Cache

There are a couple of cases where 3D model data must be extracted before After Effects can use the files: GLB files must be unpacked and OBJ files are converted to GLB. The new 3D Cache folder is stored in the same location as the default for the disk cache; this is currently not a user-definable location. Clicking the new Empty 3D Cache button in Preferences > 3D that deletes all files from this folder except for any cached files in use by the current project.

Where can I get 3D models?

Anywhere you can find them!
Models from Adobe Stock may have extended attributes that After Effects does not handle yet. Importing/exporting via Adobe Substance Stager will strip those attributes if you need to bring those files into After Effects.

How can I get a 3D model from Substance?

The easiest path is to import your model into Stager. Select the model, go to File > Export > Selected models, and choose either GLTF, GLB or OBJ to export.

How can I get a 3D model from Illustrator?

From the Asset Export panel you are able to export OBJ files. These can go directly into AE, or you can take them into Substance to apply materials first.

Can I edit 3D models in After Effects?

After Effects currently does not support 3D modeling. The focus is currently on PSR (Position/Scale/Rotation) animation of static models. If you would like to animate different meshes in your model, you'll need to extract them in other software and bring them in as separate models.

What sort of rigging is available?

Internal rigging/bones/joints are not accessible, however you can use parenting and expressions to connect 3D objects to each other as you have always been able to do.

My 3D Model imported weird?!

We tested a lot of models but are very interested in seeing what models you may be working with that are not importing correctly. Tell us about what you ran into!

Do you plan to support USDZ?

Currently under investigation. Let us know what you want supported!

Materials

Texture Formats

PNG and JPEG are the preferred formats. TIFF and MTL files are not currently supported for materials within your model.

Can I modify, change, or replace the materials on my model?

Not at this time. Keep watching that beta...

When I import some 3D models, it creates a folder for the files in the project, including a tex subfolder. What's up with that?

For future material support the texture files need to be imported into the project. The folder structure created in the project keeps things from getting messy. We'd appreciate your feedback about this.

Using Your Model in a Comp

Shadows

In this first build, all layers will be lit by all lights in the scene. But shadows are not implemented yet, so you won't see results from Cast Shadows/Accept Shadows/Accept Lights.

How do I make this one specific area darker though?

It's a hack, and it may not stay, but setting lights to a negative intensity will remove light from the area surrounding it. You can use this to artistically simulate shadows while we build the engine out.

I added a light and now everything looks different?

Adding a light disables the default IBL (HDRI) included in a scene. Currently, there is no way to re-enable the IBL. Stay tuned.

Is this the final quality of your rendering engine?

We have only begun to work on rendering quality, and many attributes typical to rendering engines have not been implemented, for example - shadows or light occlusion. Stay tuned for a lot of future work on this, and help us build what you need by giving us feedback!

Opacity

Changing the layer opacity for a model does not currently work.

Effects

Can you apply 2D effects to 3D model layers?

2D effects are not supported on 3D model layers. However you can add an adjustment layer that uses your model as a Track Matte to add effects to those rendered pixels. Keep in mind that the Track Matting does not take occlusion by other layers into account.
Please see the Known Issue below regarding Effects in Mercury 3D.

My 3D text layer isn't intersecting with other layers? What gives, I thought this was a unified 3D Space?

Remove (don't just disable) all effects on the 3D layer as this is breaking the binning and you're rendering into different 3D spaces.

Miscellaneous

Can I create 3D primitives?

3D primitives are not yet supported. You can extrude shape or text layers, which can provide a limited amount of primitive-like objects (cubes and cylinders). and if you are using text you have bevel options. You cannot apply materials to these layers, but you can modify various parameters.

Can I curve or warp 2D layers in 3D?

2D plane layers (solids, footage, pre-comps, etc.) can be curved in 3D space. Enable the 3D layer switch for the layer, then twirl open the layer properties > Geometry Options. There is no option or effect to warp layers in 3D, currently.

Can I access AOVs for my models or scene?

Not at this time.

Is this production ready? Can I start making stuff?

Yes and no. Currently, 3D model import is very, very stable and capable of making beautiful and powerful things. However, as this is currently in active development, there's no guarantee that a project made yesterday will render exactly the same today.

Known Issues

• Mercury 3D - Effects on Adjustment Layers: Some effects are not working on Adjustment layers when using Mercury 3D. NOTE: If you run into this issue, we would love your feedback on which effect you were using that did not work.
  • Mercury 3D: Can get a blank frame applying effect to nested 3D comp. NOTE: If you run into this issue, we would love your feedback on which effect you were using that caused it to happen.
  • Mercury 3D: Disabled Effect on Text Layer causes a bin break. A 3D text layer with Per-Character 3D enabled breaks the 3d render order and doesn't combine with imported 3d models. Workaround: Removing the per-character 3d functionality corrects the render order issue.
  • Mercury 3D: Able to get into a state where no layers are visible unless they have the solo switch on.
  • Mercury 3D: When Layer Styles are applied, the composition can stop attempting to preview, and kick out an error: Cached Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback.
  • C4D models: Some exported models from Cinema 4D don't render at default Model Settings values. If you get an empty bounding box upon import, try modifying a scale value.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm really trying and failing to even import any 3D model at all.
Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jeffiot25214080m00m,

You will need the most recent build of After Effects Beta, v23.1.0.44 (or later). Build 44 was released this morning via the Creative Cloud desktop application, please open it and check for updates. Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for all of our servers worldwide to receive new builds, so if you still don't see it, check back in a few hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the beta last night, but I realise now that the update might not have been pushed to my end yet. Will try again today and see if I have better luck.

I can't believe I was about to purchase element 3D this week and then you guys push this out. Best possible timing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Element 3D is a completely different animal than the new Beta 3D for AE.  Element 3D for me is a must and as amazing this new feature for beta is for AE - it still doesn't get close to what Element 3D can do.  I would suggest to get Element 3D - you won't be disappointed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, Element 3D didn't got any feature update since 5-6 years. It's very outdates already. After Effects needs to get something like Elements 3D on steroids if they want to compete on the marked in the next years. I hope Adobe is knowing that after all that years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are definitely not trying to compete with Element 3D here - it's a fantastic tool. If anything bringing 3D models into AE may make it an easier way to work with models that you create in E3D and want to incorporate in your composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sum it up for everyone:

At the moment it is not really  possible to use the new native 3D functions inside of AE in a productive way . For that, it would need min. Physical based Shaders (like in Substance (link or editor) and new raytraced light/shadows and reflections. I hope Adobe will work real hard and fast on this big building site? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm also unable to import any 3D model at all.  I'm on v23.1.0 Build 83.  Attempts to import obj and glb files give the error: "An error occurred when importing this file." Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Joseph245210059knh , it looks like you may be trying on the live version of After Effects rather than the beta. This feature is only available in the Beta build, found in your CC app under 'Beta apps'. The current Beta build as of today is v23.2.0 Build 31

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see native 3D in AE!!!!!... but now comes the hard part to  make it usable and ready for VFX & Motion Graphics!!!

- Fbx, alambic, usd. vdb. Support (import/export)
- Support of animated Meshes
- Simple/basic rigging tool (like in Mixamo to use Mocap data on 3D models)
- Texture/Shader Editor (PBR)
- Matte Shadow Material
 - Link to Substance Painter/Designer
- Raytrace Lighting, Shadows, Reflections (GPU)
- IBL (HDRI)
- New Lights (raytracing support) and more parameters like texture projection.
- New Camera with simple camera mapping support and real world parameters like stops, sensor size ...
- Camera mapping tools
- Lens distortion tools
- Focal estimation tools
- Primitives' and very basics modeling and deformer-tools (to create simple meshes for the ground plane or camera projections)
- Shadow Matte
- Support of 3D Volumes and Point Clouds (vdb.)
- Smart 3D Particles with Physics (node editor)
- Advanced Camera Tracker (more manual control, constrains, import/export)

These are only the basic things to start with ... please make After Effects great again!

patpro_0-1666196581430.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pat pro - we love your list, and we are trying!  🙂
I've got your votes tallied, thank you for your ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, congratulations on this feature! It's really great to see it coming natively to After Effects.

I think the main areas of focus to get 3D to be more production ready are:

Renderer & Settings

• Letting the user adjust all (or most) aspects of the renderer, i.e. Ambient Occlusion, Shadows, Reflections, Environment, etc.
  • Having these settings accessible and maybe even adjustable per object (if possible). Opening up dialogs to adjust these settings can be disruptive, and also doesn't allow for any properties to be animated.

Editable Materials

• Ability to edit materials (probably already in the works)
  • I'm not sure what form this takes, but having it contained in an Effect dialog could work. 
  • With options to override Textures with After Effects layers or footage items.
  • Options for Texture Mapping, i.e. UV, Box Mapping, Spherical, Cylinder. And Offset/Tiling options.

Other Suggestions

• More object transform options, i.e. setting Anchorpoint to Model Center, Model Origin, Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Front, Back.
  • More options for scale normalisation, i.e. setting scale using Pixel values (this is After Effects after all)
  • Having these parameters be live so the user doesn't have to open a dialog window. Whether this means more twirl down menus, or if these properties can exist in an Effect form.
  • I've attached a quick mockup of what such an Effect could look like. Not sure if it's useful. (I come from an E3D background, so I take a lot of inspiration from the options offered there)
  • The workaround to apply effects to 3D objects are quite limiting. Hoping that this isn't always going to be the case?

Questions/Bugs

• Is the renderer the same as the Mercury renderer that powers Substance Stager?
  • Does the quality setting actually do anything at the moment?
  • Objects are not centered when inserted into composition
  • Some object scale settings are not remembered when re-opening a project (fix: have to open the settings and toggle Affect Position on and off for it go back to normal)

I hope any of that is useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all super useful @Josh-wb , thank you for taking the time to write it all up! As you guessed, many of these items are in the works, and I have added your vote to the features. As to your questions:

1. yes, but still a work in progress.
  2. same answer as above. It may depend on the models you are using as to how much the quality setting is noticable yet for you.
  3.  It does not automatically center the object right now as you can drag the object somewhere specific in the comp frame. But when that Model Settings dialog appears, you do get a few options that could help here. 'Make Comp Size' will size the model to fit your comp better, and then you can choose whether this scaling will Affect Position in the comp. Give those a try and let us know if it helps what you would want it to do when adding models to your comp.
  4.  That's a bug. We're looking at that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera DOF dosen't work with Mercury 3D.  Are you planning on supporting DOF?  Would this be an update to Mercury 3D or are you planning on developing a diffrent render engine for final output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DoF is not enabled yet in the beta, but is a feature in the works. Stay tuned!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just doing some basic testing

Working:

+ Native beveled /extruded text! Cool that it works with the text effectors and everyting. I know a lot of people use the text animator for a lot of hacky generative stuff so it will be interesting to see what people come up with 3d added. 

Not Working: 

-Motion blur not working

-Layers not respecting the "accept lights" toggle. I guess this was noted above.

-DoF not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @scrozier - glad you are making use of the beveled/extruded text! Agreed - we are excited to see what people will be creating.

I am happy to say that all the items on your not working list are known limitations right now for this first beta, but are in the works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO excited about new 3D functionality!  Is there a specific process for importing 3D files? Can you provide a link to a free model where the textures should successfully import?

While testing I am having no luck getting the textures to import with the models. Models are either gray or primary colors with no texture applied. I am on my 4th model now. I have tried importing .fbx files and .obj files along with any associated texture files (.png. and .jpeg). They don't seem to link together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joy5FC9 , glad you are giving it a try!

No specific process, you can import them the same way you import any file (File > Import > File, or Ctrl/Cmd + I), but it does matter what type of model you bring in. FBX are not supported at this time, so even though they may come in, the textures may not work. OBJ, GLB and GLTF files should bring in the textures associated with them. If you are trying to add the texture file from within AE, that does not work at this time. So best bet is to try one that already has a texture attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. So - I do not need to upload the texture files to AE along with the .obj file? I am getting an error when I try to import .obj files: File not found "filepath/filepath/filname.mtl" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joy5FC9 . Unfortunately if you look above in this post under Materials, .mtl files are not currently supported in this Beta build. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christine, I get this message when uploading an .obj file only. Can an .mtl file be baked into an .obj? Is that possible? Needless to say I have tested about 10-15 models (all indicate that textures are included) and none of the textures have appeared with the model in AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joy5FC9 . I don't actually know that for sure, I think obj files stay as the geometry and we can only currently work with the main texture file. If .obj files are not working from your source, maybe try a .glb or .gltf file if possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I was able to find a .gltf that imported beautifully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources