• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Focus: New After Effects Spectrum UI & Windows UI Performance Improvements

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, we’re proud to announce a new look for After Effects in Beta!
AE24_4_20_SpectrumUI_DarkestLow.png

As of Beta Version 24.4 build 20 — available today — After Effects is themed and styled using Adobe’s Spectrum design with a new modern look across the entire app.
AE24_4_20_AppearancePrefs.png

After Effects Beta now ships with three different themes: Darkest, Dark and Light. There’s also a new toggle for switching between a high-contrast mode for easier visibility and accessibility or a low-contrast mode for focusing on your content.
AE24_4_20_SpectrumUI_LightHigh.png

Additionally, we’re also shipping GPU-accelerated UI performance improvements on Windows computers. This improvement may be most noticeable in timeline interaction, comp overlay drawing, and on multiple monitors. 

This is a beta release with additional fixes and changes rolling out in the coming weeks. Please let us know if you encounter any issues — particularly with specific GPUs — or have suggestions. Feedback from our beta community is appreciated and essential for building better and stronger versions of After Effects. We’re so excited for you to try the After Effects Beta and can’t wait to hear what you think!

Known issues:
Users with some older Intel Integrated GPUs may experience some instability with our updated overlay — work is in progress on this, and we will update when this is fixed. If you experience any instability, please let us know. 

We have done testing with ScriptUI but can't anticipate every third party script out there, please let us know if there are scripts that are not working. In some cases, the script developer may need to update their script. 

We have tracked down an issue with some third-party scripts that use png files on Windows that causes an "Unexpected Data Type" error. We are currently investigating. 
If you delete the ModifiedWorkspaces and OriginalUserWorkspaces folders in the preferences to reset the workspaces, you should be able to open After Effects (Beta) without encountering the error. If you then open third-party panels one at a time, you will be able to determine which one(s) are causing the error, which should allow you to continue using the Beta.
Update: this issue has been fixed in build 28.

We have also fixed an issue with single character buttons not rendering the character.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, lag-free keyframe interaction? Could it be true? Please be! 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us know how things are working for you when you check it out -- your feedback really and truly helps us target any bugs/issues and helps us refine strategy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to move keyframes and layers around and it feels a lot nicer! They glide like butter now... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

those are some really nice changes but I tried out several scripts - my own included - and all the scripts, that use images don't run at all on my Windows machine.

The script UI doesn't show up and I get the following error message in an infinite loop (I have to force quit AE):

"After Effects (Beta) error: Unexpected data type".

Her are my specs:

Application: After Effects (Beta) v24.4.0.20

OS: Windows v10.0.22631, RAM: 127,80 GB GB, CPUs (logical): 20, GeForce RTX 4080

On my Macbook Air M1 it works however.  (OS: Sonoma 14.2.1)

Anyone else having these problems on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with some scripts here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Christian Lengger  and @dbDavideBoscolo ,
We were made aware yesterday with the release to beta that there is a current issue with the new GPU UI drawing in regard to PNGs used in Script UI. We are looking at it thanks to all of your feedback and hope to have a quick turnaround for a fix into beta. 

In the meantime, starting in safemode should allow you to temporarily disable scripts as well as panels and reset your workspace if needed to avoid this issue in the short term.

We will update here when we have a Beta build posted with the fix.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

All the best,
Jessica McMillan
AE Engineering  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there @Brian C Carter 

I just tried AE beta 24.4.20. finally the timeline panel lagging is almost gone, but, 3D gizmos lagging is really really really bad, as I show here.
https://youtu.be/aqfmHvd3D4Y
It's unusable! Please fix it. It's impossible to work with 3D layers. I reported the issue 2 years ago. It doesn't make sense to add 3D features if the UI doesn't work. I'm on Ryzen 2700x, 32GB ram, Rtx 4070 super.
Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marco

Thanks for the feedback about the Gizmo. That is a different issue than our GPU UI but we'd be very curious if you've noticed any worse performance in this Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brian C Carter 

Apart from the gizmo issue, AE works fine. The keyframe and layers dragging is not as fast as it was in CS6 or CC, but the improvement is notable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that this is a different problem, but it's also one that really needs to be adressed better sooner than later. Hope we can see some work there in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue, it's better when I close the properties panel. Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see the Character panel font menu displays white on black, and I can finally see the scrollbar to the right of it!

I do have some issues with the ScriptUI changes:

- The new lighter rounded buttons are maybe ok for creating oversized UI with big chunky buttons, but they don't really fit the rest of the UI and are unusable at small sizes. The text makes poor use of space (and seems misaligned vertically). The old style was usable with visible text down to a single character inside a 20x20 button. Most of my buttons are now just empty grey blobs or at best have text truncated with an ellipsis. I imagine any button that specified a size will suffer.

- At least with custom buttons you can draw text and stroke a rectangular path onto them to look exactly like the old buttons, but mine with light text are unreadable on the Light appearance. I'm not sure if ScriptUI graphics / themes give us what we need to deal with any appearance changes on custom controls? I found the ScriptUI theme/color docs kinda vague. Due to extensive use of custom buttons my current project's UI has mostly survived the button-apocalypse, but it's utterly destroyed by light mode! 🙂

- I'm seeing truncated text with ellipsis on DropDowns too. Maybe the layout manager isn't taking the chunkier controls into account?

- Small EditText controls again make poor use of internal space. 2 characters don't comfortably display inside an EditText that was specified for characters:3. Just seems unnecessarily cropped inside the control.

- Disabling a control now causes it's UI to lighten rather than blend into the background, adding visual noise to my UI. I'd rather make them invisible if it's like this.

- I like that scrollable, multiline EditText controls now have dark backgrounds too. Small point, the still bright white scrollbar stands out as being unchanged..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Paul,

We are actively looking into these issues in ScriptUI. Would you mind if I reach out to you through a DM to discuss and workthrough specific issues you are seeing in your ScriptUI panels? We were made aware of a few issues yesterday (like single character/image button centering). Would love to capture what you are seeing in tickets and work through resolving them.

Thanks for all the feedback!

All the best,
Jessica McMillan
AE Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessica,

Yep feel free to DM me. I'm prepping some screenshots for you now.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the issue that many button texts are not not readable anymore because the text is cut off. My scripts all suffer from the same problem of having half its buttons not being readable anymore. It would be great if this could be fixed!

Other than that I really like the new UI for the most part. Congrats on the overlaul! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For visibility, these are the ScriptUI bugs we are now tracking from Paul's post and further communciations. Please let us know if there are any items with ScriptUI and the new skin that might not be captured in the following list:

JessicaMcMillan_0-1711039045886.png

Thank you for helping us identify these issues. We will be actively looking into solutions as well as reaching out if added support APIs are needed for the new skin, especially the addition of lightmode as we likely don't have a way today for developers to be theme aware.

All the best,
Jessica McMillan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a visual problem with my custom ScriptUI Panels within the new UI

AE ver. 24.2.1AE ver. 24.2.1AE Beta ver. 24.4.0AE Beta ver. 24.4.0

Looks horrible and very unprofessional 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Felix Dames 

One option I plan to look into is if we switch to a different style button that matches the old styling a bit closer.
An example of that look is the following:

JessicaMcMillan_0-1711065382121.png
I think the first row matches somewhat to the old style you had. Will let you know when we have an update in the beta.

All the best,

Jessica McMillan
AE Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice. I would personally remove the stroke around the buttons tough (the blue one is fine).. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my take on the new UI here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-ideas/beta-ui-changes-lose-sweet-spot-for-contrast/idi-...
I think some of the great contrast that is in the current release got lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont like the fact that i cant change the color of the theme anymore, it has to be blue... i used to always change the color but that doesnt seem to work anymore

<edited by moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brian C Carter and @Jessica McMillan 

First of all, as stated in my other comment here, congrats on the new UI. This feels much better than before, especially in terms of the speed on Windows!

However, in addition to the already mentioned issues in this thread, I have two to three problems myself with the new UI:

1. Shy'd layers aren't easily identifiable anymore

In the old UI, shy'd layers were indicated by a very visible line. However, in the new UI, the color of this line a much more like the general UI color whereas the lines between regular layers are siginificantly stronger (meaning darker). This makes it much harder to make out whether you have shy'd layers in between your regular layers. I'd like to ask you to darken the line where shy'd layers are (or to reduce the darkness between regular layers). To show you what I mean I created this image:

Shy_Proposal.jpg

2. New font not as readable as the old one

I personally liked the older font more. The new font is bolder and therefore the letters are harder to read - at least that's how it is for me. I assume the new font is some type of new general UI you're going for, so it's probably unrealistic to ask of you to change this back to what it used to be but I figured I might try. 😉 Or maybe you could implement some way to select either of the fonts?

3. Super niche issue with certain Unicode blocks

Additionally, and this is admittedly a super niche aspect that's probably just affecting me and a very small portion of users but the old font allowed for a Unicode block like Halfwidth and fullwidth forms to render in a very distinct way whereas the new font renders it pretty much like any other regular letter. I made much use of the old font's behavior in my scripts in order to indicate layer statuses in clearly visible way. Unfortunately, this isn't possible with the new font anymore. Now, I know it's a super niche issue, so I'm not asking for you to change this but I at least wanted to bring it up. Maybe if there's some way to revert back to the old font (as requested in #2 to improve readability), this could also resolve this issue. Here's an image about what I'm talking about:

Font_Proposal.jpg

Thanks for all your work and I hope you consider my suggestions. 🙂

Best wishes, Constantin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just you for the bold text. There is less space between letters and it makes the text harder to read

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brian C Carter and @Jessica McMillan, I just wanted to check in with you and ask whether you've received my feedback? Would love to hear what you think about it and whether any of this is doable.

Best wishes, Constantin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources