• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Focus: Quick Set Anchor Point

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2024 Oct 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In After Effects Beta 25.1 Build 36, we are pleased to announce Quick Set Anchor, a more efficient way to change the anchor point on your 2D layers to any of 9-commonly-used-points — all the corners and centers of your layer’s edges. And it's available both from the Properties Panel and anywhere else by keyboard shortcut!

QSAPropertiesPanel.gif

Quick Set Anchor can be launched by selecting a layer (or layers!) and clicking the new Anchor Point icon next to the Anchor Point property in the Properties Panel, creating a temporary pop-over Quick Set Anchor Dialog that allows you to click your preferred anchor point location, automatically close the dialog, and be on your way!

Besides the Anchor Point button in the Properties Panel, you can also bring up the Quick Set Anchor Dialog by using the keyboard shortcut Shift + Tab to create the temporary pop-over right below your mouse, ready for you to click your anchor point of choice without taking your eyes away from your comp content. Press the shortcut. Click. Move on. 

QSAShortcut.png

(This is just a screenshot, showing you how the Quick Set Anchor Dialog can appear anywhere. Don't wait for it to animate.)

What we would love to know from you:

• How do you feel about the default Shift+Tab shortcut?
  • Do you prefer the Properties Panel or the Shift+Tab shortcut?
  • Do you want the same sort of functionality for 3D Layers? How do you imagine that looking?
  • Is there any confusion if you've already applied a rotation to your layer?

Known issues:

• Currently we don’t support changing or removing the keyboard shortcut for Quick Set Anchor. Please let us know if this negatively affects your workflow.
  • Currently, Quick Set Anchor only works for 2D layers. Please let us know if extending this functionality to 3D layers is something that would help your workflow.
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2024 Oct 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this IS a very helpful tool!

- Shift+TAB sounds good to me. Perhaps some others would prefer something else, but I guess you can always set your own preffered shortcuts, right?

- Both. Sometimes you work with the mouse, sometimes you prefer to handle the keyboard

- For 3D layers this could be handy, but you need to be able to determine whether the anchor is set to the middle of the 3D object or on the face that you're looking at. Perhaps by default it's set to the center of the object, but you provide a possibility to change it to one of the faces by "caging" the 3D object in a virtual set of minimum required faces to cover all angles and then letting the user decide on which face they want to change the anchor point.

- Have not tested that yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2024 Oct 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great! Shift+tab is easy and fast to remember.

However it would be nice if it doesn't create a new keyframe for the position, when you already have an animation in there?

Right now it does that unless you have the keys selected that you're on. And you have to change the anchor point for every keyframe that you already have placed, an approach like how the Motion plugin does it (by respecting the position of the object throughout the timeline), would be a bit more friendlier. I've attached a video to show 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 11, 2024 Oct 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great addition. I 100% agree that it shouldn’t add a position keyframe. I also use Motion’s anchor point tool specifically because it adjusts the anchor “globally” w/o adding position keys. Though I am neutral on it adding a key if the anchor point is already animated (I rarely animate anchor points and usually use parent nulls). I do want to thank whoever coded this that it doesn’t remove existing expressions on the position or anchor point—other anchor point moving tools did this and had burned me so many times…

I also really like that this tool has a keyboard shortcut for a floating panel. Makes me wonder what other bits in AE should have something like this… But the keyboard shortcut should absolutely be customizable (previously shift-tab toggled some timeline columns? I definitely never used that intentionally.). I vote for having it in both the keyboard shortcut and Properties panel—shouldn’t it also be added in the Timeline panel for consistency? 

Personally, I don’t need it for 3D layers. Whatever UI changes that would require would most likely get in my way.

As for rotations, that is an interesting question. Visually it does make more sense to adapt to how it’s shown on-screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2024 Oct 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super cool feature! Love that the pop-up shortcut works anywhere in the UI. Also love that it works for multiple layers at a time.

• How do you feel about the default Shift+Tab shortcut? Currently we don’t support changing or removing the keyboard shortcut for Quick Set Anchor. Please let us know if this negatively affects your workflow. 
    • Fine default, but 100% needs custom keyboard shortcuts.
  • Do you prefer the Properties Panel or the Shift+Tab shortcut?
    • Shortcut > Prop panel
  • Do you want the same sort of functionality for 3D Layers? How do you imagine that looking?
    • 100%. I imagine each Anchor Point corner matches the corner points visible on the layer's bounding box. Z value could either be the front or the middle-depth of an extruded layer.
  • Is there any confusion if you've already applied a rotation to your layer?
    • Yes it's confusing. It would be nice if this anchor point shortcut took into account the Rotation of the layer. Either "just do it" or rotate the pop-up orientation to match the layer's rotation.
      • Ex. if a layer is rotated 180* and flipped upside-down, the Anchor Point shortcut for bottom-right should target the layer's top-left point because it is visually the bottom-right. Currently it does not compensate for rotation.
      • That said, this feature is still a win without the rotation update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2024 Oct 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the option to alter existing position keyframes vs adding a new one? I've long advocated for a "pan behind" style tool where you can drag around the anchor, or click anywhere on the layer, to set the anchorpoint precicely without messing up any existing animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2024 Oct 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use Shift+Tab shortcut for the FX Console plugin, so I would absolutely appreciate being able to change or remove this shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources