• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select straight shape layer lines in viewer/composition window

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the viewer window in after effects: I can't select shape layers that are straight lines. They can be diagonal, they can be square, but I cant select them in the viewer window if they are are a straight line. I've tried it on two other computers, and it's the same result. I've tried centering the anchor point. This makes it time consuming and difficult to animate certain scenes from illustrator.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/wjE7ePm.gif
Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Hi all,

In looking through our bug backlog, this issue has been listed as Fixed in 17.0. Can any of you confirm if you are still seeing this issue in the latest version of After Effects 2023? It appears to be working with some light testing on our end, but please let us know if your experience is different.

Thanks for any information you can offer,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
15 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was told to put this here from reddit. This is an old bug thats been around for years. Basically, when one makes a vertical or horizontal line using the pen tool while holding down the shift key, it is unable to be selected like a regular layer in the comp. The workaround to this is to make a diagonal line and rotate it to where you want-- but this is a pain in the butt to do and also if you, say for example, try to scale the width, it acts funky because it is still technically a diagonal line thats just been rotated.

I made a video to show what I mean. I started by making the diagonal line for reference on how the horizontal & vertical lines SHOULD work. Hopefully this illustrates the exact issue. To be clear- each line is it's own seperate shape layer, & each line was made by holding down shift.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-6eMZnuIBoQiHz12NV9kD3UAya0vmCTJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting! We'll look into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this - demonstration here:
https://vimeo.com/259015896
Thanks, looking forward to a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a shape layer in Ae that is a straight line with no curve, or you create shapes from an Ai file (such as with Explode Shape Layers Plugin) the only way you can select those layers are by clicking the layer in the timeline panel and not in the composition window.

This error only happens with 1pt strokes that are in straight lines. If the shape layer has a fill or 1 point that is curved then it can be selected in the composition window.

This is often a nuisance when using the ESL plugin and creating shape layers from vector that is a few dozen layers which I do for basically every client project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleas fix this as soon as you can. I have this problem also!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this issue myself today. Pretty annoying bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it makes me growled

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE CC 2019 have serious bug with selection tool.
When shape layer with straight line (horizontal o vertical) is added it can not be selected or moved with selection tool once deselected after first creation.
Straight lines are looks broken in other cases too. Take a look at the video - there are some strange do attached to the shape layer with line (layer 2 on screencast). You can not select layer by clicking on the line, but you can if point is selected. You can drag this point, but line will disappeared.

This does not happens for other shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has been in After Effects since CC 2016.

It is extreme frustrating that this issue still has not be resolved, nor has an Adode developer or support commented on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in that I've been having this problem too for about a year, its been more of a problem of late with having to animate more straight 2 point lines.

When dealing with more complex scenes from designers with these elements it's a big hurdle to deal with, often having to forgo any selections in the preview panel and having to handle all layer selections in the layer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to only select the toggle mask and path visibility option below the composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

In looking through our bug backlog, this issue has been listed as Fixed in 17.0. Can any of you confirm if you are still seeing this issue in the latest version of After Effects 2023? It appears to be working with some light testing on our end, but please let us know if your experience is different.

Thanks for any information you can offer,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, seems to work fine now. thanks 

Votes