• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File is damaged 33::7 if project contains .c4d file (version 24.1)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BEWARE!

If your projects contain .c4d files DO NOT upgrade to 24.1! They will no longer open.

Luckily reverting to AE 24.0.3 alows to open the files so they are not really damaged as per After effects message. (File is damaged 33::7)

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Hello

We have been able to reproduce this and are currently investigating and in discussion with Maxon.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Maxon have delivered an updated Cinema 4D / Cineware plugin that should address this problem. We are currently testing it and hope to have it into a Beta build next week, along with the fix into a non-beta build in the coming weeks. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Sorry for the issue. There was a change made by Maxon to the Cineware plugin that broke compatibility between 24.0 and 24.1. We are working with them on a fix currently and plan to have the issue resolved in 24.2. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
25 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempting to open a project file after installing 24.1 and the dreaded "After Effects error: file is damaged. (33 :: 7)" pop up appears.

Clear the popup with the OK and then I get a new window:

After Effects warning: effect control conversion required in effect "Cineware". Some effect controls will be reset...blah blah.

Reverting back to 24.0.3 allows the project to load.

24.1 will not lauch without the "Cineware by Maxon" folder in the app's Plug-ins folder.

Launching in Safe Mode makes no difference.

Nuking caches and prefs makes no difference.

Stripping out all C4D elements/files and layers, saving a copy of the project, reinstalling 24.1 and opening that new (neutered) version appears to work – albeit missing all the important bits inthe project of course.

I have both C4D 2024 and 2023 installed because AE used to give me a trouble if 2023 wasn't available. However the realtionship between the full C4D apps and the Cineware plugin is a mystery to me at this point.

Running a Mac Studio M2 Ultra and Sonoma 14.1.2. I have not tried a Windows install yet but might tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the .C4D file used in the AE Project in Cinema 4D R25, do you get any errors or warnings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No errors when I open the C4D files directly in 2024.1.0. But if I go through all the compositions and folders in my AE project and delete the imported C4D files then AE will open in 24.1. I'll have to see what happens if they get re-imported...if the AE project goes back to being unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope...re-import the C4D file. Save. Re-open. It's fine. No (33 :: 7) error.

Oh well. I guess the biggest inconvience is that you seem to be only able to have one version of AE installed at one time (aside from Beta versions). So if anybody has to troubleshoot this stuff then there's a good bit of install > uninstall > downgrade > prune project > uninstall > upgrade to be had. Maybe keep an extra machine around with the last version installed in case you have to perfrom such project surgery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I have a damaged file issue that is blowing my mind. 
I am trying to open a file from a big project and every single version of it, auto saves and the master file, are giving me the "file is damaged ( 33 :: 7) error and won't open.  This in itself isn't that unusual, but what is so strange to me is that the backup files that were made weeks ago are giving me the same error.  This problem began today (12/13) but the back up files on an external harddrive from 11/1 also will not open, even though previously I was able to work on this project up until today.  A different backup of an ealier version from 9/30, on a 2nd different harrdive, ALSO gives me the same message.  I thought there might be a permissions or cache issue, but when I try opening the backups on a different computer, I also get the same message.  I have tried clearing out all the media caches to no avail.  
I'm on a macbook pro 2019, 2.3 GHZ 8-core intel i9, amd radeon pro 5500m 4gb, 32 gb 2667 mhz ddr4 ram, mac os sonoma 

This is so weird and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what could possibly be causing this.  I do not understand how a file which was good when it was backed up, on a seperate harddrive, can become curropted when trying to open it up.  I've been careful to make copies of these backups to the harddrive of the strange computer so they aren't modifying the original backup.  

I've also been having an issue where After Effects crashes when I try to open the media cache prefrences, not sure if these are related problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this is an AE version thing. The fact that backups won't up either suggests that maybe there's been damaged to a video/image you've imported or the latest version does not support some weird format that the previous version did.  At the very least, it might be worth downgrading to a version you know worked and see if any of the projects open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i actually figured this out on my own last night- downgrading to the last version fixed the problem!  so something in this new december update made this file unworkable... which is really annoying on adobe's part ... but at least i got my work back!

[profanity removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open projects that I have created in AE 24.02 in AE 24.1.
The first error message is: file is damaged (33::7).
This is followed by a warning: effect control conversion required in effect Cineware (25::0).
In version 24.02 the project opens without any problems. Saving as XML does not help. Saving to a 23.xx file works and in AE 23.xx you can also open the project without errors. The 23.xx project file does not open in AE 24.1 either.
Does anyone have an idea?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Title edited by Mod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

We have been able to reproduce this and are currently investigating and in discussion with Maxon.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue on 3 different computers!

BEWARE!

If your projects contain .c4d files DO NOT upgrade to 24.1! They will no longer open.

Luckily reverting to AE 24.0.3 alows to open the files so they are not really damaged as per After effects message. (File is damaged 33::7)

It seems like a cineware issue. Adobe please test these releases more thorouhgly this seems like a very easy catch.

Any offical bug report for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you have run into this issue. Maxon have acknowledged the issue and are working on a fix to be included in AE's next release. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem after updating to 24.1.0

Only solution that worked was to revert software back to 23.0.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverting to the old version worked for me, the autosaves and everything were not working in the new version - it was very fustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my life, i downgraded to 24.0.3 and my files start working again. Its such a pain in the a** be working with cinema 4d in ae 24 build

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same issue. It seems to be a problem with the last 24.1. After Effects Version and the Cinewareplugin.

I installed the previous AE-24 Version and I can open up my Projects again. 

@Adobe: Please let us know when the problem is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same error running a Pugetbench Benchmark with the latest version of After Effects (Version 24.1.0 - Build 78) with the current Pugetbench Benchmark extension. This did not occur with the prior version of After Effects 24.

I am prompted to save a new project file following the failure and restart the application and try again but the problem is repeated.

"After Effects warning: effect control conversion required in effect "Cineware". Some effect controls will be reset. To avoid silently resetting these same effect controls on all subsequently loaded projects, save this project and then quit & re-launch After Effects.

(25 :: 0)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing same exact issue, can open in older versions of AE so I know the file isn't actually damaged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates in this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Every ae-project < 23.1 with cinema comps just crashs. downgrades are useless. i can no longer work. is there a fix in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maxon have delivered an updated Cinema 4D / Cineware plugin that should address this problem. We are currently testing it and hope to have it into a Beta build next week, along with the fix into a non-beta build in the coming weeks. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update- fingers crossed for the testing

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I went to open my AE files and I got an

"After Effects error.  file is damaged. (33 :: 7)

followed by another popup of

"After Effects warning: effect control converion required in effect''Cineware'' Some effect controls will be reset. To avoid silently resetting these same effect controls on all subsequently loaded projects, save this project and then quit & re-launch After Effects (25::0).

This affected every manual itteration of that file as well as all the autosaves, so I couldn't open a single file from both projects I'd been working on recently. After searching for an answer, I noticed that After Effects had auto-updated so I figured I'd try downgrading to the previous version.  That fixed it and I can open my files again so I thought I'd share and hopefully save you from my anxiety filled morning.

Is AE removing support with Cineware in the future now that they are working on their own 3D implimentation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the issue. There was a change made by Maxon to the Cineware plugin that broke compatibility between 24.0 and 24.1. We are working with them on a fix currently and plan to have the issue resolved in 24.2. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else experience project file errors when updating After Effects lately (25 jan 2024)? 
My projects seem to only open on version 24.0.2
The latest versions since then indicate that the project files are damaged, or unsupported and an issue involving cineware. I downgrade and the projects work fine.
I'm using a 2023 M2 MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's the same error that this thread covers. We expect a fix to beta to be available early next week, and then a fix in 24.2 once it releases. 

Votes

Translate

Translate