• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Menu bar (File, Edit, etc) often unresponsive on Windows 11, After Effects 23.1. and above

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects Version 23.2.0 (Build 65)

Windows 11 22H2 (Build 22621.1265)

Menu items take a long time to drop down when clicked, sometimes over a minute. The software will hang while I wait. The Composition menu is the least responsive of the menus. This started after I upgraded to Windows 11.

Expected result: click on the Composition menu and see the dropdown instantly

Actual result: click on the Composition menu and After Effects hangs for up to a minute before the menu appears.

Title edited by Mod.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Hi all,

Changes were made in the latest version (22.5) so that After Effects can perform better with the Character panel open. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

In addition to that, the new Properties panel (introduced in 22.4) consists of all the Character Panel features. Hence, you may not need to open the Character panel at all.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Saeed_R,

Thanks for sharing the details.

This issue has been identified as a bug. Sorry for the inconvenience. The team is working on a fix.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and haven't been able to work with the latest releases.  ANY change I try to make to the font size, line spacing, etc., stalls my computer for at least 30 seconds for each change.  Thank goodness I can still use 2022 without any of these same issues.  PLEASE...fix this anomaly.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue "all of a sudden" two days ago. However, the solution for me was just to close the character panel. It's not open anywhere and all is well. Open when I need it, close when not. Easy work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Changes were made in the latest version (22.5) so that After Effects can perform better with the Character panel open. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

In addition to that, the new Properties panel (introduced in 22.4) consists of all the Character Panel features. Hence, you may not need to open the Character panel at all.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

The character panel problem was happening with the 23, not 22 version. I updated AE today to 23.5.0 and the problem still exists! 

Unless I undock the character panel, AE will become very slow and impossible to work with.

Thanks,

Saeed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this is still very much an issue! If my character panel is open, and on my right monitor, my After Effects menus lag terribly, rendering the software almost unusable. If I don't use a character panel, or if I move it to the other monitor, I am able to work normally. Honstly, kind of shocked this still hasn't been resolved! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Undocking the charachter tab fixed it for me as well. Thanks Yaman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hunter_Koerner @Jihad I Am 

What's the exact version of After Effects you're using? Have you updated to the latest version (23.5)?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wanted to say I had an issue with AE grinding to a halt anytime I used the top windows menu. After 6 months this thread finally gave me the answer (just closing the Character Panel). This feels like such an inexcusable bug for a company which charges me so so much every month to use its products. One final note, I almost gave up looking through here because of the un-ending negativity of Mylenium. I understand that the more information presented the better but most people coming to these forums are coming because something has gone wrong with the program for the first time and they're just looking for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate