• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird halo using Lens Blur depth map

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get rid of this weird halo that appears when I use Lens Blur Filter with a Depth Map?
The sharp areas should be in focus at the edges, but they show a strange halo, like if I'm using a fog lens.
Even if the Z map has a good contrast between dark an white areas, the halo appears at the edges as if the subject was out if focus.

Bug Investigating

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Hi @NewtV,

Thank you for reporting this issue. As noted, this is a long-standing limitation of the Camera Lens Blur effect, but one that we would like to improve. We're tracking this issue and will be investigating an improvement for a future version of After Effects.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a bit of playing around in Davinci Fusion as well. I seem to get the same resulting halo effect. It seems like getting the Frischluft plugin might be the only option as of now to achieve the results you are looking for. I'd be curious to see if widening the range of white and black values on your Z-pass would change anything? Or instead of having a such a stark transition on the edges would make any difference? Not neccessarily blurring them but having something in the background so the Z value isn't 1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried many settings, but none of them worked. 
I don't understand why After Effects Team keeps releasing new features while olders filters still don't work well. And the most intriguing is if Photoshop Lens Blur filter works so well, why After Effects Team doesn't ask Photoshop Team how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All of the upvotes: "I don't understand why After Effects Team keeps releasing new features while olders filters still don't work well."

Votes

Translate

Translate