• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add multiple text effects to a PNG image and have these effects work independantly

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

As a new user of After Effects, I hope what I am about to write makes sense. 

I have a video where I am using PowerPoint slides that have been converted to a PNG file.

What I am trying to achieve, is on the same image have a sentence appear using  the Typewriter text effect and then have other sentences appear after it. My problem is that the all the sentences appear at the same time. I want one sentence to appear, pause and then the next sentence to appear. Basically to have all the sentences appear with the Typewriter text effect at different times, in a top down sequence. Each sentence is a point in the presentation. I am not sure if a different composition for each sentence is required? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. Cheers.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for writing in.

Instead of creating multiple Comps, I'd recommend creating a separate layer for each sentence and then apply the "Typewriter" animation preset from the Effects panel. Once done, you can time the animation as you like by sliding the Keys or the layer itself.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

If you have multiple lines and are using a text animator you can choose how the animator works. You can choose whether the range selector works on a percentage of the total number of characters or in the character count. You can choose whether the range selector works on lines, or characters, or everything. All you have to do is expand all of the properties and look for the option you want.

I strongly suggest that you spend some time with the User Guide, in the Learn Workspace, and that you us

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for writing in.

Instead of creating multiple Comps, I'd recommend creating a separate layer for each sentence and then apply the "Typewriter" animation preset from the Effects panel. Once done, you can time the animation as you like by sliding the Keys or the layer itself.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nishu - much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have multiple lines and are using a text animator you can choose how the animator works. You can choose whether the range selector works on a percentage of the total number of characters or in the character count. You can choose whether the range selector works on lines, or characters, or everything. All you have to do is expand all of the properties and look for the option you want.

I strongly suggest that you spend some time with the User Guide, in the Learn Workspace, and that you use the Search Help field in the top right corner of After Effects. Type in Animate Text and you'll get a lot of information that you can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick - really appreciate it. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks also to Peru Bob - really helpful advise. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines