• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE takes a very long time to open preferences.

Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am using AE 15.1.1 on a Mac running OS High Sierra 10.13.5.

For some reason when I attempt to open my preferences in any project, I get the spinning wheel of death. If I wait long enough (5-7 minutes or so) it will open up.  Then, when I go to empty my cache it brings up the spinning wheel for about 10 minutes before finally emptying (at the usual rate).  After effects otherwise runs perfectly.  Any ideas why it's doing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tries to reset the preferences settings?

1- quit after effects

2- run after effects while holding cmd + opt + shift

you will get a message to reset the preferences setting

“ the message may not show up the first try, so keep trying“

let us know if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to find a way around resetting the preferences completely- is this the only way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried shutting down and rebooting the computer?  Most people just log out or sleep their macs but when you reboot system temp, memory, swap, and cache files get cleared out during boot.   I'm not a mac user but on windows when things get inexplicably weird I'll reboot and often things get less weird.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gutterfish.  I definitely did that first, but it's always good to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a side-track solution,m you can assign shortcuts to all the Commands found in the Edit>Purge menu - using shortcuts precludes you from having to jump into the Prefs.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MaxAppian,

Check out the steps in this doc and see if it helps: Fixing permissions problem (slow startup)

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, macos 10.15.7, ae 17.7.0.

I tried resetting preferences, but it made no difference. Ae also doesn't quit when I 'quit' ... I have to force quit every time.

Any other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no solution, they know it's painfully slow to open preferences but are compelled to toss out the usual placebo solutions. It takes a full 33 seconds to open my prefs on a maxed out Retina iMac running latest Catalina. Most everything else is snappy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kepy getting stuck with this. Opening preferences would take forever. Clearing the cashe would take forever. Strangly what fixed my issue was opening Spotlight. Right after clicking Preferences the spinning wheel popped up, but as soon as I hit command-space (to open Spotlight) it loaded immediatly. When I went to clear my cache, the spinning wheel popped up. Once again, as soon as I hit command-space, it stopped lagging and cleared the cache. Hope that helps anyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how you figured this out but this is absolute genius. Saved my day today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, I wish that worked for me as it did for alind0725

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What fixed it for me was disabling the Google Drive desktop agent. Im on a Windows 10 system. Perhaps other forms of network drives cause the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Today it took 50 seconds to open preferences on a fully topped off 16-inch M1 Macbook Pro Max. I am on latest Ventura and AE 24.0.1. Why on earth does it take so freaking long to open preferences??? Why can't you fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines