Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

After effect not saving

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using after effects all day and its been fine, saving was fine.

but now all of a sudden the application wont save, i go to file save, click on save and nothing happens.

same with save as, once i click the option the menu just disappears and nothing happens.

I have restarted my machine and switched between apps and nothing is working, i have even started a new after effects document and it will just not save.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very disturbing. 

try to save to the desktop and see.

What exact Ae version?

what exact Os version?

any special software that you installed on your computer that can cause permission issues?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI thanks for the reply.

its version 14.1.0.57

im on windows 10, i have not installed anything in a while.

like i said after effects has been running perfect all day until now.

when i choose to save as, it does not give me the option to choose where i want to save. as soon as i click on save or save as the options dissaper

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would reset the preferences and if that does not help I would reinstall.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just reset and reinstalled, still the same.

if it does not fix im going to get my money back from adobe. not paying for broken software.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are done here in the forums, you could contact costumer service and resolve this via remote desktop with a support agent. Don't forget to fill us in on what solved it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the Save and Save As... menu items greyed out or normal colored? That will help establish the troubleshooting path.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are normal coloured, when i click it looks like it registers but just wont do anything.

even when i just cross the application off, it asks me to save. i then click save but the app closes without saving anything.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a script I just wrote for you which will try to save your project programmatically. Save the following text to a file with a .jsx extension, like "save.jsx". To execute the script, go to File -> Scripts -> Run Scripts File... and type the filename you saved the script as. If it works it'll save your project to a file named "testsave.aep", probably in the save directory as where you saved the script to. Please report whether or not it works.

{

var newFile = new File("testsave.aep");

app.project.save(newFile);

}

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this technique but even the run script file option doesn't open the dialog box. Super strange

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GregA,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using AE for ages and this happened to me for the first time yesterday. I lost a week of work.

Today I just redid about half that work, and AE started going slow so I tried to save and quit but now it won't even SAVE, AND it won't quit unless I force quit. Incredibly disturbing that I could lose all this time and effort. I don't know how to fix it.

Help me someone please!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem as of today (Aug. 19th 2020) as well.  The project simply will not save.  I don't know what's going on.  It also will not let me close the program either.  I had to do a crappy, screen recording to get a "export" of my project so I don't completely loose proof everything I've created.  Adobe, what is wrong with your company??  I've never experienced as many insane issues with so many products from on paticular company as I have with Adobe software. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for your loss. I had this exact - and wicked frustrating - problem a couple weeks ago. Tried everything, nothing worked. It was maddening. What I ultimately had to do was quit, lose all my work, download the latest update of AE, and THEN it started saving again. AFTER I lost all my work, which I had to redo every part of. The moment I notice this problem again in the future, the first thing I'm doing is downloading the program immediately.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has also been happening to me a couple of times now. Usually it just magically starts working the next time, or when I restart my computer. Same with Photoshop! Would be good to have these save issue fixed cuz it's a real bummer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, It's 2021 and I just had the same problem. I was working on my animation this morning and as soon as I tried to save the project nothing happens. I tried Save as copy and tried other different ways but nothing working anymore. Although AE working fine and other extensions too. It's just shortcuts are not working and I am not able to save anything.

I need to restart my mac now and lose all the work.

SUPER FRUSTRATING.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS MIGHT HELP AS A WORKAROUND!

If you are able to export to media encoder...

I exported an UNSAVED COMP to media encoder render queue.... this then made an After Effects project file in the temp folder 

(show hidden files first);

C:/Users/YOUR COMPUTER USERAME/APP DATA/LOCAL/TEMP 

(OR just type %appdata% into the file path bar)

You will find there a folder with AE project files ... but they will only contain the one comp being exported so export each comp you have through AME seperately to make sure they at least show up here esoecially if saveing is not working for now.

(If you had previously saved the project this temp file will show up beside that project file but media encoder shows a filepath to where it is)

20210104_135220.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU so much. This workaround totally worked! You're a life saver!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huzzahh! 🤣 Sweet. Im having too much trouble with this After Effects, nothing seems to work properly, I hope CS6 is still available.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I had been working in After Effects CC 2020 but I just switched over to CC 2019 and so far so good. 

2021 not off to a strong start!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you! If you are on Mac, you need to:

1. In After Effects, go to File>Export>Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue
  2. Find the "Temporal files" folder, which can be accessed by typing the following on Mac's native Terminal app: 

open $TMPDIR

3. This will open the "T" folder.  A tip is to see this folder in "list" mode, and then order the subfolders inside in order of "Date Modified". This will show at the top the most recent subfolder.
  4. In my case I found a temporal folder created by Adobe Media Encoder called "Untitled Project_AME" which contained the After Effects project file which I couldn't save via After Effects. I just copied it into another folder and reopened that file. Voila!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had the same problem and this's worked pretty well, thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. You're a lifesaver!

Adobe really needs to autosave new projects that don't have a destination folder yet. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem. Im not sure if this will work for anyone else but I realized my internet was bad so my Adobe Cloud software couldnt connect. Once it connected, I restarted AfterEffects and they let me save. If this is on purpose in the software, Adobe is BOGUS lolol If I just saved you hours of work follow me on IG at LeonOfDavinci

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! In my case, Media Encoder created the folder in the same location as the original project, so just copied/renamed it and done.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines