• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effect not saving

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using after effects all day and its been fine, saving was fine.

but now all of a sudden the application wont save, i go to file save, click on save and nothing happens.

same with save as, once i click the option the menu just disappears and nothing happens.

I have restarted my machine and switched between apps and nothing is working, i have even started a new after effects document and it will just not save.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

This happened to me. I'd open it and do a little thing and try and save and it would work, but then I would do a bunch of stuff and all File > things like save, import etc stopped working. Reset my computer etc etc and would start working again and same thing would happen. Redid the same thing 5 times. 

I fixed it by emptying my cache (which was full) 

😕

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very disturbing. 

try to save to the desktop and see.

What exact Ae version?

what exact Os version?

any special software that you installed on your computer that can cause permission issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI thanks for the reply.

its version 14.1.0.57

im on windows 10, i have not installed anything in a while.

like i said after effects has been running perfect all day until now.

when i choose to save as, it does not give me the option to choose where i want to save. as soon as i click on save or save as the options dissaper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would reset the preferences and if that does not help I would reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just reset and reinstalled, still the same.

if it does not fix im going to get my money back from adobe. not paying for broken software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are done here in the forums, you could contact costumer service and resolve this via remote desktop with a support agent. Don't forget to fill us in on what solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the Save and Save As... menu items greyed out or normal colored? That will help establish the troubleshooting path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are normal coloured, when i click it looks like it registers but just wont do anything.

even when i just cross the application off, it asks me to save. i then click save but the app closes without saving anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a script I just wrote for you which will try to save your project programmatically. Save the following text to a file with a .jsx extension, like "save.jsx". To execute the script, go to File -> Scripts -> Run Scripts File... and type the filename you saved the script as. If it works it'll save your project to a file named "testsave.aep", probably in the save directory as where you saved the script to. Please report whether or not it works.

{

var newFile = new File("testsave.aep");

app.project.save(newFile);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this technique but even the run script file option doesn't open the dialog box. Super strange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GregA,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using AE for ages and this happened to me for the first time yesterday. I lost a week of work.

Today I just redid about half that work, and AE started going slow so I tried to save and quit but now it won't even SAVE, AND it won't quit unless I force quit. Incredibly disturbing that I could lose all this time and effort. I don't know how to fix it.

Help me someone please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem as of today (Aug. 19th 2020) as well.  The project simply will not save.  I don't know what's going on.  It also will not let me close the program either.  I had to do a crappy, screen recording to get a "export" of my project so I don't completely loose proof everything I've created.  Adobe, what is wrong with your company??  I've never experienced as many insane issues with so many products from on paticular company as I have with Adobe software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for your loss. I had this exact - and wicked frustrating - problem a couple weeks ago. Tried everything, nothing worked. It was maddening. What I ultimately had to do was quit, lose all my work, download the latest update of AE, and THEN it started saving again. AFTER I lost all my work, which I had to redo every part of. The moment I notice this problem again in the future, the first thing I'm doing is downloading the program immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has also been happening to me a couple of times now. Usually it just magically starts working the next time, or when I restart my computer. Same with Photoshop! Would be good to have these save issue fixed cuz it's a real bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Longtime After Effects user (20+ yrs), never encounter this issue where it will not save project. Threw me a major curveball end of day yesterday because I didn't even realize it wasn't saving either my manual saves (I'm pretty consistent about manually saving every 15-20 minutes) or auto saves... even though the ususal prompt window was appearing and telling me it was saving. Did my usual Command-S and Command-Q end of day and was confused why AE was still open this morning. Shrugged it off, did a bunch of work then realized after a 'Save', then noticed the block in upper left red close button indicating file was unsaved. Ended up Force Quitting and lost about a combined 3 hrs work.

ANYWAY this is all leading up to say... I did the handoff to Encoder 'workaround Save'. Wanted to share a shortcut to finding file in Temp window short of going thru Terminal. You can right click Project Name in ME cue and there is a 'Reveal Source File' option that'll take you to the temp fiile.

shortcut.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a hack for saving your file.

(if “add to media encoder” option works)

If yes, you can get your updated AE file in “Projectname_AME” folder.

(Auto-save folder created before render by ME)  near your main AE file location.

Saved my own work by patiently trying every option, and this :up_arrow: worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! I was about to lose work when I found this hack 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh please god let this work... Can you be a little more specific about how to find this auto-save folder? I was able to add to media encoder, but don't see any auto-save folder. Is it hidden and if so is there a way to reveal it? I'm on a mac running Monterey 12.3.1 and Adobe CC fully updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
There will be a folder ‘projectname_AME’ near your after effect file location.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this electronic message and any other attachment to this message are intended solely for the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail and any attachments from your system. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Adani Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver! Worked for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, It's 2021 and I just had the same problem. I was working on my animation this morning and as soon as I tried to save the project nothing happens. I tried Save as copy and tried other different ways but nothing working anymore. Although AE working fine and other extensions too. It's just shortcuts are not working and I am not able to save anything.

I need to restart my mac now and lose all the work.

SUPER FRUSTRATING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS MIGHT HELP AS A WORKAROUND!

If you are able to export to media encoder...

I exported an UNSAVED COMP to media encoder render queue.... this then made an After Effects project file in the temp folder 

(show hidden files first);

C:/Users/YOUR COMPUTER USERAME/APP DATA/LOCAL/TEMP 

(OR just type %appdata% into the file path bar)

You will find there a folder with AE project files ... but they will only contain the one comp being exported so export each comp you have through AME seperately to make sure they at least show up here esoecially if saveing is not working for now.

(If you had previously saved the project this temp file will show up beside that project file but media encoder shows a filepath to where it is)

20210104_135220.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU so much. This workaround totally worked! You're a life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huzzahh! 🤣 Sweet. Im having too much trouble with this After Effects, nothing seems to work properly, I hope CS6 is still available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines