• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[After Effects 2022] Export alpha channel (and solve the colored fringed problem)

Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on a video that explains how to export an alpha channel using After Effects, that I will share publicly on YouTube. Before I share it, I wanted to ask you if you think I missed any point or make any mistake in my process. All constructive advice is welcome.

[After Effects 2022] Export alpha channel (and solve the colored fringed problem)
https://youtu.be/vEsCSOFUpWI

I wanted to propose to use Apple Quick Look to check the export, but since March 2022, Quick Look don't manage alpha channel anymore.

(Roei Tzoref, if you're around, I'd be pleased to hear your feedback, cause I know you got experience in the subject).

Best regards!

Jybe

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been lobbying Adobe for years to replace the default Pre-multiplied with Alpha Output Module template with Straight Alpha. You should only use Pre-multiplied when you need to blend an alpha edge with a specific background and have no other way of decontaminating the edge color. All professional editing software uses Straight Alpha as the default.

The only thing I see that is missing in your tutorial is a mention of the use and modification of the Output Module Templates. I strongly recommend that you start editing the output module by showing the Lossless With Alpha preset already available in the Render Queue, then demonstrate editing that template using the Edit/Template/Output Module menu. The current default is Prorez 444, Premultiplied. One of the first things I do with a new install of After Effects is to edit my Output Module presets. If you create your own set of presets, you should never have to go into the Output Module and edit them every time you want to render to a different format.

RickGerard_0-1649764393959.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a good point and I will add this "output module template adjustment" in the video.

Thank you for your feedback Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video as been updates thanks to Rick feedback. Here is the new version available on YouTube.

[After Effects 2022] Export alpha channel (and solve the colored fringed problem) --- by Jybe Design

https://youtu.be/Qbnm27frn8A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines