• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

after effects color management and ACES

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made a test render in C4D using Redshift. The render is stored as an EXR file with ACES-cg as the colorspace.
When I import this render into After Effects and apply FNord's OCIO plugin everything works great.
It's set up according to the instructions on the Redshift site:
https://docs.redshift3d.com/display/RSDOCS/Compositing+with+ACES
The image looks the same as in my C4D renderview. See below:

OCIO_ACES-cg.jpg

If I now take this same render and go the route of not letting OCIO do the work but rely on AE's own colormanagement the results are different.

I'm starting with a new project. Set my project settings as following:

2021-11-26 15_33_21-Adobe After Effects 2021 - Untitled Project.aep _.png

I now import the render. It will look washed out as it is not being interpreted correctly yet. AE thinks it's in sRGB by default.

2021-11-26 15_34_03-Adobe After Effects 2021 - Untitled Project.aep _.png

Under Interpret footage I assing the ACES-cg colorspace profile to the render.

2021-11-26 15_39_13-Adobe After Effects 2021 - Untitled Project.aep _.png

I would expect the render that is now interpreted as an ACES-cg render to look the same as in my C4D renderviewer or using the OCIO plugin. Instead it looks like this:

2021-11-26 15_51_50-Adobe After Effects 2021 - Untitled Project.aep _.png

The transfer curve seems to be different as the image is much brighter than what I would expect. The brightest parts are completely blown-out.

Where am I going wrong? Why is there a difference between the two methods? Is there a way using the built in colormanagent to get my render to look the same as it does in my C4D renderview?

 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sidebyside.png

And a side by side so it's easier to see the difference 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not use Ae's color management. and turn it off everywhere. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lns6AuJzBnI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey 

I also just tried these two methods a few hours ago and have been trying to find a solution online. I want to be able to work without the ocio as well. 

I think the AE curves might be different? Or either the OCIO, but at this point i think it may be AE. 

Why does after effects even provide this method if it doesn't work as intended? If there is a solution to this please let me know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can see in the tutorial I posted how to deal with this. most of Ae's tools are designed to work in Display color space. so if you shift to ACES, there are workflows for getting expected behavior. you can use exposure effect with checking bypass linear conversion. if you want to use curves you could do that in log color space so go from linear to log - do the curves, then back to linear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines