• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects - Import “Project A” into “Project B” - Globally saved changes between projects

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I import “Project A” into a “Project B”, then make changes to compositions in “Project B”, will it ever make changes to the original compositions in “Project A” that they were copied from?

I don’t want this to happen. I’m just checking that it is not a possibility that it could happen as it would destroy the original “Project A” essentially.

So are the new project / composition files in “Project B” standalone / unlinked?

I realise any shared footage or assets would share any chagnes made to them.

Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Projects do not talk to each other. They are all unique. You don't have to worry about an imported project being anything buy comps and linked footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

As far as AE is concerned, the files are not consolidated or as per your language are "unlinked". That is kind of the point. Once a project is imported into another project it becomes part of its native structure, not just a reference to the external project going so far as AE importing assets fresh even if they are the same and creating separate links in the project panel for them. Any consolidation has to be initiated manually by the user using File --> Dependencies and the relevant functions

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Projects do not talk to each other. They are all unique. You don't have to worry about an imported project being anything buy comps and linked footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as AE is concerned, the files are not consolidated or as per your language are "unlinked". That is kind of the point. Once a project is imported into another project it becomes part of its native structure, not just a reference to the external project going so far as AE importing assets fresh even if they are the same and creating separate links in the project panel for them. Any consolidation has to be initiated manually by the user using File --> Dependencies and the relevant functions there. Or in other words: Any changes you make to your compositions after the import will not be propagated back to the original project. That notwithstanding of course it's always a good idea to have backups and safety copies somewhere.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks both

That’s as I suspected and a relief to hear. I also wondered there was some obscure setting or button that may effect this that I don’t know about, so that is good to hear. Yes, noted, on the backups 🙂

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines