• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects keeps changing the brightness of the screen...

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue isn't necessarily new; I've found a few posts going back quite a few years, but no answers or updates. This is not a Microsoft update or a manufacturer issue - it's strictly with Adobe, and only After Effects:

If I click on After Effects; the screen grows darker.

If I click on anything else; the screen grows lighter.

It's like reverse adaptive brightness...

I can increase my brightness and it helps a bit, but the brightness of my display doesn't actually seem to be changing. I have to dim it when I click on another program though since my screen can get pretty bright. I also checked all the Windows settings and have spoken with both Microsoft and my PC/Laptop manufacturer. All my hardware is good, all my settings are what they should be (outside of Adobe), but yet this issue is happening across multiple devices.

The bigger issue is that jumping between a dark and dimly lit After Effects to a super bright File Explorer, back and forth, back and forth, is causing some intense eye strain and headaches. I've installed the new update, I've uninstalled/reinstalled, I've emptied my caches, I've done half a dozen other troubleshooting methods, but I keep having this dimming effect happen every time I click on After Effects.

Not sure if this is a bug, a 'new' setting, an 'old' setting that turned itself on, etc. Whatever the cause, any workaround, tip, trick, or suggestion and any and all information on the matter will be highly appreciated!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For additional context; the actual screen isn't getting darker/brighter, just After Effects. My Windows toolbar stays exactly the same. 

It's almost like After Effects is turning down the constrast of the entire UI. If I go into my preferences and go to adjust brightness, it will get brighter but the contrast becomes so washed out that it isn't pracitcal to use.

Below are screenshots of what AE looks like when I click away, and then what it looks like when clicked on with Max Brightness and Default/Min Brightness. Note that both the first and last screenshot have the same exact settings, the only difference is AE is clicked on in the bottom one.

Screenshot_Normal.jpgScreenshot_Light.jpgScreenshot_Dark.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact graphics hardware are we talking about? Is the display 10 bit/ HDR capable? I suspect that this is a miscommunication there. Also, if it uses a specific vendor color profile it may be useful to switch to a generic Windows standard profile.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spent a few good hours with Adobe Support and remote control. It's been elevated - and it turns out it would actually dim everything, but especially After Effects, on my main display. 

I can't say too much, but it seems like it had something to do with the Intel Graphics Card 6th - 10th Gen drivers. Everything looks fine on my end both concerning hardware, drivers, software, etc. The issue was also only present in After Effects 23.0 through 23.1, but not in 22.6 or 23 Beta. Literately did a clean install on everything we could think of, created a new user, cleared preferences, everything. So now we'll wait and see!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a video recorded during the session with Adobe Support, since they couldn't see the issue from their end. You can see/hear when I click on After Effects that the screen dims, while when I click on any other program the screen automatically brightens. 

Again, the issue doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, as both myself and my computer's manufacturer ran several stress tests, including on both graphics cards, and everything passed. 

The only thing that temporarily resolved the issue was disabling the Intel UHD Graphics Driver (v 31.0.101.2115) and instead using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. However, that was not a sufficient solution or workaround to the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines