After Effects only playing back a few frames

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using AE 2022 with a Mac Mini with M1 Chip.

When I try to play my project in AE, it only plays a few frames. I have made sure my play range is set correctly. Even when I open a new, blank project, it still only plays back a few frames. I have been using AE for a couple years now and this is the first time this has happened! 

Things I have tried:

- Purging all memory and disk cache

- Reserving minimum amount of RAM to other applications in Preferences (> Memory and Performance) 

- Setting playback resolution to 'Quarter'

- Setting playback to skip 2 or even 5 frames

- Uninstalling After Effects and Reinstalling

- Shutting down computer 

- Using Activity Monitor to shut down any apps using up RAM

- Using Task Manager to quit all other applications

- Going to Preferences > Media and Disk Cache > Empty Disk Cache

- Going to Preferences > Media and Disk Cache > Clean Database and Cache

- Deleting all Cache files from Mac 

- Using the Terminal application to clean out RAM space

- Unistalling Plugins

My Mac has only 8GB of RAM, however, after checking in my Activity Monitor, I still have plenty of RAM available to use. Please help!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Hi. I'm really sorry to say, but even though your computer has "plenty" of RAM to use, that's not what AE considers to be enough. According to their system requirements page: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html - their MINIMUM is now a 16GB machine. This means that any number of seemingly random errors can occur, when you try to use it on a machine with less.
Unfortunately, the newer minis are not RAM upgradeable (for which, I'm personally quite angry). You may want to

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm really sorry to say, but even though your computer has "plenty" of RAM to use, that's not what AE considers to be enough. According to their system requirements page: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html - their MINIMUM is now a 16GB machine. This means that any number of seemingly random errors can occur, when you try to use it on a machine with less.
Unfortunately, the newer minis are not RAM upgradeable (for which, I'm personally quite angry). You may want to look into downgrading your AE to an older version, that may be happier in less RAM.

2022-07-25_12-35-59.png

S_Gans
Adobe Community Professional / Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a new computer because I just bought the Mac Mini not long ago😩 I think I just have to accept that now though! I will install an older version to see if that helps as a short term option. Thank you for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines